ATF OIL for bmw

Re: ATF OIL for bmw

Hi Sam,
you have no problem on non-std ATF oil ? Change just the oil only ?

Actually what the real benefits other than for maint. purpose ? as the change is quite expensive.

tks

Hi redwatermelon,

i have not a problem after i change my ATF. After using it around 10k...i can say its way better.

As wat the other ower say theres no things as long life oil.

Theres long life coolent also. but we still change it.

My car now run by redline engine oil 0W40 and ATF D4.

redwatermelon;536130 said:
you have no problem on non-std ATF oil ? Change just the oil only ?

Actually what the real benefits other than for maint. purpose ? as the change is quite expensive.

tks

better change to tranny recommended ATF oil if you really want to...

it is meant to be life-time, ie not forever, life time of the tranny, which is only about 100k-150k km...

my personal opinion is that it is a waste of money to change ATF... your engine should outlive 2-3 trannies... each tranny cost about $6-7k now... and it will fail in due course... your metal filings that are trapped in the magnets, these come from the gears... and replacing the ATF does not replace them... BMW does not manufacture trannies, these are outsourced to GM and ZF... Both do not recommend re-newing ATF and claim them to be life-time fill, again, life-time over the 100k-150k km... Both GM and ZF also do not have literature that recommends changing ATF at any mileage... i have taken a E36 and a E46 beyond 100k km before letting them go... none failed me before the mileage and i have not re-newed ATF for both GM trannies... there are folks here who have taken E46 trannies beyond 255k km without changing ATF...

ever wondered why a new car warranty up to 100k km??? perhaps tranny, but i am sure it has a part to play in the calculation...

it is really your call... perhaps changing ATF will bring about smoother gear shifts... cost benefits, ie by changing, how much more mileage can you add to your tranny life before it eventually fails...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benbetltd

Latest posts

Back