ATF OIL for bmw

Re: ATF OIL for bmw

Just trying to help...

Enter your VIN (last 7 character) here BMW parts catalog to find your gearbox number. eg. mine is Automatic gearbox GA6HP19Z.

Then go here http://admin.webmakerx.net/images/Sites/Site18295/Document/autotrans.pdf to find out the transmission fluid for your gearbox. eg. mine is Shell M-1375.4, BMW Part No. 83 22 0 142 516.

See http://forums.5series.net/uploads/1162137709/gallery_237_213_323991.pdf (under service notes: Oil change)

Additional info: SHELL TRANSMITS FUEL SAVINGS TO ZF
http://www.europeantransmissions.com/Bulletin/DTC.BMW/6HP19bmw.pdf
PWD Lubricants - What's New

Hope it helps.

Just flushed my E90 ATF last night! 1st time in 75k of its life. it was sooooo BLACK! gear change is fantastic now, no hestitation.
Highly recommended to get it done. don't wait.

JasonKuan;402534 said:
Can we go back to PML to change ATF?
PML said don't touch the ATF .. supposed to be "Life Time" ....
For me, changed every 30,000 km from outside workshop. You wont want to know how much is it to change a new Gear box :shakehea:

anyone purposely changed ATF after say 2000km-5000km... what's the colour???

taken off a GM model year summary... the hydra-matic (GA6L45R) is mated to most E90s except the 335i and M3...

Where Used
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_6L50_transmission

Low maintenance
The 6L45 uses DEXRON VI premium fluid, which is validated to improve durability and shift stability over the life of the transmission. DEXRON VI, was developed to have a more consistent viscosity profile; a more consistent shift performance in extreme conditions; and less degradation over time. Internal GM tests have demonstrated DEXRON VI delivers more than twice the durability and stability in friction tests compared to existing fluids. The DEXRON VI fluid was designed specifically and validated for the new family of GM six-speed automatic transmissions.

The Hydra-Matic 6L45 is produced in Strasbourg, France.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thks for sharing, this is a very good links, especially the BMW parts catalog.

cmkim_11;501978 said:
Just trying to help...

Enter your VIN (last 7 character) here BMW parts catalog to find your gearbox number. eg. mine is Automatic gearbox GA6HP19Z.

Then go here http://admin.webmakerx.net/images/Sites/Site18295/Document/autotrans.pdf to find out the transmission fluid for your gearbox. eg. mine is Shell M-1375.4, BMW Part No. 83 22 0 142 516.

See http://forums.5series.net/uploads/1162137709/gallery_237_213_323991.pdf (under service notes: Oil change)

Additional info: SHELL TRANSMITS FUEL SAVINGS TO ZF
http://www.europeantransmissions.com/Bulletin/DTC.BMW/6HP19bmw.pdf
PWD Lubricants - What's New

Hope it helps.

Did a few calls around, there is a difference between just changing the transmission fluid and chaning the fluid with the filter. The filter alone cost 300 over bucks. A full change is in the neighbourhood of 700 over bucks with the oil. PML charges around 800 and if your car is under warranty, you dont want to mess around with 100 over bucks savings to void the warranty. my humble opinion.

mervynkoh;523149 said:
Did a few calls around, there is a difference between just changing the transmission fluid and chaning the fluid with the filter. The filter alone cost 300 over bucks. A full change is in the neighbourhood of 700 over bucks with the oil. PML charges around 800 and if your car is under warranty, you dont want to mess around with 100 over bucks savings to void the warranty. my humble opinion.

u sure u got the price rite?

i asked pml before. change fluid (no changing of filter) is 800+.

i went to a sponsor here and paid slightly above 200. wld have preferred to use back originial oem fluid but too bad lah, this sponsor only carry top quality brands :woottt:

price difference is NOT 100 over bucks. that oso, pml refuse to do for me cos my car under warranty and it is LIFETIME fill !

danocs;510642 said:
Just flushed my E90 ATF last night! 1st time in 75k of its life. it was sooooo BLACK! gear change is fantastic now, no hestitation.

I wanted to change ATF at similar mileage but SA did not recommend. He told me that if change take place after 50k, the gearbox is likely to fail much earlier than without change.Please let us know if that is true when your car reach 90k....

arowana1;523160 said:
u sure u got the price rite?

i asked pml before. change fluid (no changing of filter) is 800+.

i went to a sponsor here and paid slightly above 200. wld have preferred to use back originial oem fluid but too bad lah, this sponsor only carry top quality brands :woottt:

price difference is NOT 100 over bucks. that oso, pml refuse to do for me cos my car under warranty and it is LIFETIME fill !

Hi,

Did the sponsor also change your oil filter and the parts ? or they are not necessary ?
Any issue running on non-original ATF so far ?

I have heard from a technician outside that it is recommended to change the ATF too... seems like wise words from him... I guess its better to play safe?

But I'm confused. So what is the ideal mileage to do a change and is there a need to change the filter as well? Average price around $500 - $700 inclusive of filter?

danocs;510642 said:

bro where u change? wat the price? i also want to change the atf and filter plate. thank

Firstly, the filter is just a screen, NOT a filter. Secondly, who the fark ever heard of life time oil? Go Msdonalds, they also change fryer oil every week.

Charge you 800 bucks? I charge you 50 with oil, ai mai?

Please go get Torco oil at R2D, best thing I ever did

Lifetime indeed, pui

Just change my ATF filter/pan and 6 litres of ATF oil...smooth is the word...

The oil pan is around $200 (ZF) OEM part. I use the ZF lifeguard 6 (supposed to be the original oil)

loh_jeff;535357 said:
bro where u change? wat the price? i also want to change the atf and filter plate. thank

You can ask your mechanic to buy them for my case , I got it from Eng Soon and change it at a mechanic in UBI (friend;s friend)..You can do it anywhere its a simple job and worth the $$ spent, my car only clocked 42k but I dont care.. Lifeguard 6 is for our 6 speed gearbox and it semi-synthetic.

The oil pan has a filtration all in plastic moulding. It has 2 big magnets to attract the metalic debris. In my previous E39, E36 and Saab 95, the filter can be replaced individually and the oil pan is constructed form Al....guess BMW want to reduce weight in the newer model but cause a pain in maintenance.

You can feel the improvement immediately...who says oil can last forever..bullshit.

loh_jeff;535416 said:
where u buy it and install?

Be careful when you buy the oil pan. There is Taiwan make.

My friend kena..... leaking......chia lat.

It is SGD100 cheaper then the original one.

If the mechanic is experiences enough. he can tell you. so better go to reputable BMW workshop.

Yeah ES sells both..Taiwan retails at $150 and OEM ZF (Germany) is $200 and you can see all the markings on the plastic part.

I change my atf using redline D4 at $148 8 quarts.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcisikar

Latest posts

Back