ATF OIL for bmw

hor_fun

hi bros

what is the thickness of the ATF oil that we use for our cars?? also do anyone know how many liters of ATF oil is needs for 535lci?? lastly how long the change ATF oil??

Re: ATF OIL for bmw

It is a lifetime fill, PML does top it off once in a while. Unless you have serious problems let it be.

desertfox65;365948 said:
It is a lifetime fill, PML does top it off once in a while. Unless you have serious problems let it be.

means no need to change?

800 bucks? you must be kidding! in rupiah or baht? what a rip off! was it to change the entire transmission or just the atf? kekeke...

astro, your car is still quite new right?

btw, there is no such thing as lifetime fill. things break down, and even if BMW has such confidence in their tranny, there's bound to be wear and tear. on top of that, does the atf last that long without breaking down. i don't know...

it's just when PML tells you not to change engine oil until your service indicator says so, which is about 24k? there's a post around where someone said his engine oil has turned to sludge...

go change your atf at around 30-40k. should be quite safe.

and it costs you the few bottles of atf (which is only a few litres for your car, not sure of exact volume cos mine's e46) plus about an hour of labour. piece of cake.

much much less than $800. like phil would say "got gold in it is it?"

ya my car abt a yr plus, 20k on the clock. Might look for a cheaper place to change at ard 30k

Cheers bro!

hor_fun;365874 said:
hi bros

what is the thickness of the ATF oil that we use for our cars?? also do anyone know how many liters of ATF oil is needs for 535lci?? lastly how long the change ATF oil??

I change mine at 100kkm, 8 liters for 5 series using OWS (High Performance ATF Dexron III) at BVO

$800 bucks? I think got more than gold inside, maybe got einsteinium or something.

Give me $400, I change for you, swee?

Guys think for a second, only a second is needed. Since when on this mother earth have you ever heard of ANY oil, I many ANY oil not needing to be changed? Even the deep frying oil at my favourite fish and chip shop gets changed every week. You think of how much stress a car tranny goes through compared to the deep fryer at the fish and chip shop.
You guys purchase some very costly cars, yet scrimp a few bucks on not changing oil, OIL is the lifeblood of your vehicle. Lifetime no need oil change, bwahahahaha, that should be on Funniest Home Videos.

Phil if the car is touching 100K km it is reasonable, but changing at 30K km if do not drive like an F1 driver should still hold... agreed there is no lifetime fill it largely depends on how you drive....

30k is ok for new car. But for me, I would change casue there will be "filings" in the oil from run in. The filter is not really a filter, more like a screen

life of the tranny is not infinite... for the 4 cylinders, maybe between 100k - 150k km... no data for the 6 cylinders, a bit lower life i think...

i am on the other school of thought, dont change it... cos the metal fillings dont replace itself even if you change the oil... the tranny will fail on you in due course anyway... so why change the oil when it is good for it's life time...

their lifetime oil means lifetime of the warranty period.

definitely need to change every 40k at least...

desertfox65;365948 said:

martmode8850;368618 said:
life of the tranny is not infinite... for the 4 cylinders, maybe between 100k - 150k km... no data for the 6 cylinders, a bit lower life i think...

i am on the other school of thought, dont change it... cos the metal fillings dont replace itself even if you change the oil... the tranny will fail on you in due course anyway... so why change the oil when it is good for it's life time...

on the contrary, have not heard anyone who has changed the tranny yet (due to wear and tear). there are many cars with mileage well above 150k still running well.

in fact i have not heard of any e36 (more than 10 years) changing tranny, not the regulars in the forum anyway. well mebbe the odd one or two, but definitely few and far between.

so better not to mislead others and make them panic if you are ill-informed. tranny should be able to last as long as the engine as long as you maintain your car properly.

the atf acts as a lubricant for the tranny, and it will lose it's lubricity over time. so there you go. whether you choose to believe that it's a lifetime fill and not change your atf, feel free to do so.

and btw, changing atf is definitely cheaper and more convenient than replacing tranny. wouldn't you agree?

jinooi;368661 said:
the atf acts as a lubricant for the tranny, and it will lose it's lubricity over time. so there you go. whether you choose to believe that it's a lifetime fill and not change your atf, feel free to do so.

and btw, changing atf is definitely cheaper and more convenient than replacing tranny. wouldn't you agree?

i second that wholeheartedly.

i've about 100kms on the clock. changed ATF for the 1st time.
it wasn't too pretty.
I reckon I'll be changing every 30km or so, from now on...

result.
smoother shifts all around.
quieter driving.

change your ATF now. or change your transmission later.
:) choice is yours really..

niteblu;368669 said:
i second that wholeheartedly.

i've about 100kms on the clock. changed ATF for the 1st time.
it wasn't too pretty.
I reckon I'll be changing every 30km or so, from now on...

result.
smoother shifts all around.
quieter driving.

change your ATF now. or change your transmission later.
:) choice is yours really..

niteblu, can share about the cost of changing the ATF oil and how long does it takes? Thanks!

silky6;368701 said:
niteblu, can share about the cost of changing the ATF oil and how long does it takes? Thanks!

I had mine done at Rodney's.
Check out R2D under the Sponsor's section.

Drop him a pm w/ your car model
he or Nadia should get back to you on the cost in a hurry.. :)

Takes approx 1-2h, but note that R2D opens usually from 630pm onwards on weekdays.
Which works for working folk like me...

jinooi;368661 said:
on the contrary, have not heard anyone who has changed the tranny yet (due to wear and tear). there are many cars with mileage well above 150k still running well.

in fact i have not heard of any e36 (more than 10 years) changing tranny, not the regulars in the forum anyway. well mebbe the odd one or two, but definitely few and far between.

so better not to mislead others and make them panic if you are ill-informed. tranny should be able to last as long as the engine as long as you maintain your car properly.

i agree it is... however, if it is needed, then why does BMW not recomend it and make more maintenance money, and this is common pratice worldwide??? i would find it hard to believe that a big company would have the intent to make owners change their trannies every now and then...

i drove my old E36 from 155k to 255k kms without changing the oil... maybe the tranny got changed before i took it over... or maybe it was luck... but then, the GM trannys are built like a tank and i believe the old E36s that are still around are the 4 cyclinder ones...

just think not many Spore owners including those here take their rides from day one till over 150k kms... so we really dont know... the data i have is from an overseas forum and the owners take their rides for damn long, sometimes between 10-15 years and are covering well over 300k kms... yes, they change the oil but most have it fail on them that they find it rather wasteful to do it, some change the wrong atf and have their tranny slip...

bro, this is a good exchange... :)

My current Jap car's got about 160K on it and I've alway changed my ATF as often as I change my engine oil (i.e. every 10K), cost of the ATF is about $25 so I thought heck change it lah :) So far my tranny smooth as silk. After reading some of the posts here... maybe I am really throwing my money away for no good reason :yikess:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cwin666biz
Back