ATF OIL for bmw

Re: ATF OIL for bmw

not sure about bmw but most manufacturer will tell you to change atf once every 40k. If you want peace of mind, you can change at 30k. whats important is to use the right type of atf and not just because its a good brand. Will be good to change any filter when you change the atf as well. Assuming you need 8 litres and $25 a litre, only 200 bucks. Should not be too difficult for you guys driving bimmers right.

On my former e46 6cyl 2.5, I did not change atf tranny oil till I exported the car ~ 8 years, 235000 KM. Tranny still OK. Tracked the car on year 3 ,4 only.

Some said, if you changed every 40K since day 1, then continue to do so.....If yours is already 100K and wish to change, then think twice...why ? The oil could be thick/dirty which help to 'seal' the tranny from leakage etc so once your change the oil, then thing starts to leak....

hope this help.

Thx

wow, thats lots of distance to cover. i guess no right or wrong then. perhaps change is for peace of mind.

stevenwu;386059 said:
On my former e46 6cyl 2.5, I did not change atf tranny oil till I exported the car ~ 8 years, 235000 KM. Tranny still OK. Tracked the car on year 3 ,4 only.

Some said, if you changed every 40K since day 1, then continue to do so.....If yours is already 100K and wish to change, then think twice...why ? The oil could be thick/dirty which help to 'seal' the tranny from leakage etc so once your change the oil, then thing starts to leak....

hope this help.

Thx

phil;366132 said:
$800 bucks? I think got more than gold inside, maybe got einsteinium or something.

Give me $400, I change for you, swee?

Guys think for a second, only a second is needed. Since when on this mother earth have you ever heard of ANY oil, I many ANY oil not needing to be changed? Even the deep frying oil at my favourite fish and chip shop gets changed every week. .

Got got the ham ji pang :yummie: stall at maxwell road only top up oil..

My friend E-90 325 112,000 km mileague tranny go kabuk after 3 1/4 years... Never change ATF before... So what's the school of thought, to change or not to change the ATF as my E-90 going to 40,000km soon...

Thoughts from the expert???

change lor..... wldn't hurt to change, but might hurt if you don't

don't cost THAT much too... prevention better den cure

I guess BMW says its lifetime because you just need to change transmission at the end of its life.....lol...It doesn't mean the lifetime of the car, just the life of the transmission. Maybe its rated for 100,000KM?

how much is it to change atf fluid for e90 320i anyway, those that did b4 can tell me the damage. not long ago i was quoted in excess of 700 bucks to change and the filter.

700 bucks is damm steep. i dont know how much atf fluid a 3 series need as i dont drive one. assuming you do a drain and refill using 6 litres in the process, at 20 buck a litre, it works out to only 120. i think labour cant be that expensive neither can the filter right. but i could be wrong. i remembered paying around 21 a litre for motul atf 1

astrosky;402454 said:
how much is it to change atf fluid for e90 320i anyway, those that did b4 can tell me the damage. not long ago i was quoted in excess of 700 bucks to change and the filter.

astrosky;402454 said:

renewed E90 ATF at 45k km... cost less than $180 for 3++ ltrs... no filter to change.. did the job w Rod
I won't even tell PML that I have renewed it...

as all bros had said = no such lifetime use oil, except human blood
or lifetime of ride is 3/5yrs!! :yummie:

Sorry one more qn, does atf fluid has any specific number rating that is suited for my car or its like a universal fluid?

My car E46 318i clocked 83K KM and changed my ATF recently at Rodney's Shop (R2D).

Now my gear change is really smooth :)

Sorry for the OT, can someone enlighten me what is the BMW-recommended oil for SMG gear-box? is the same ATF for ordinary Auto tran? or is there an oil specifically for SMG? if so where can I purchase the oil? Thanks.

IMO, ATF should be changed regularly. The concept is the same as per changing engine oil (but at a slightly longer interval). Of coz' there will definitely be instances where ppl have never changed their ATF and the tranny is ok. But like what some bros here put it, why take the risk? Especially if the cost of repairing/replacing the tranny is likey to cost a bomb.

No oil will last forever and will break down at some point in time (depend on temp & usage). When tat happens, tranny will not be properly lube and tat increases likelihood of wear & tear. The same applies for manual gearbox as well.

Changing ATF is not tat expansive - for up to 5l, $200 or less will get the job done (cost is almost smiliar to tat of manual box). Just changed my gf's 320 & my Z4 at R2D. The difference in the 320 is more pronounced, given the fact that it is slightly over 3yrs old with >33,000km under it's belt. Gear change is so much more smoother and quieter..less "thud thud" sound whilst attempting to shift tranmission between P,R,N or D.

Verdict? I will change ATF every 25,000km ~ 30,000km. It's a small price to pay to keep my ride in optimum working condition.

Cheers....

astrosky;402526 said:
Noted. Lucky i din believe the job costs over 700bucks. Thanks.

i changed b4.. it cost me ard 700 caused the bloody filter is a bloody board.. the whole board costs $500.. wah piang.. i think now i just change oil dun change filter.. dunno how will it hurt the tranny? any feedback?

Bo marbro,

Have u change the Atf oil on yr E60? Mine is approaching 60000km & I am thinking if doing it up. Any recommendation which workshop u go? How the performance like?

Anyone know of any other workshop? Is Khang auto good?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vn123casa

Latest posts

Back