E46 318i Fuel Consumption Test..!

Re: E46 318i Fuel Consumption Test..!

Think your FC is really high. My new E60 523i, not run in yet, gives me 12L/100km. I'm driving only in Singapore road, 80percent City Driving.

i am doing about 9.4l/100km or 10.63km/l ... 11months old stock 318i on 17"... 70% highway, rest city... sometimes sport mode at city driving...

oh... and it is only V-Power since i took the car...

Your FC is really high. I am doing abt 11l/100km with a rather heavy foot... 70% highway & 17" rims on a E46 valvetronic...

But if u do 90% city driving with a heavy foot, I think your FC will be roughly 13-15l/100km. Maybe you can try bringing your car to the highway occasionally and redline it to blow out all the carbon deposit, it will improve your FC slightly...

DriveAllDay>> my aircon is prob the most frugal around! 23C and at the minimum 2 bar || setting so now you see why its so puzzling..occassionally rush for amber but dont we all..? =) never idle the car too so ???????

all i can think off is the very rare (read: once or twice) sprinting from traffic lights which should clear the carbon deposits too cuz it does redline..well guys...

thanks BMWsilver for the PM advise and the rest who are constantly giving feedback..hope it helps everyone to share their tips!

Well... don't know what to say except to perhaps send your ride in for an inspection? Your FC is really in the SUV category...

Good luck!

thanks...if you guys are doing 10km/l then i guess a full tank will easily take you to 600km..? thats a lot if you ask me..ive just been doing some highway driving the past 2 days and the first 50km...the needle barely moved!! however, after it approached the 80-100km reading...BIG movement!!! now managed to squeeze about 120km for the 1st quarter tankful..but like what some others have said, the first half depletes a lot slower than the 2nd half so will wait and see..and report again at half tank..!

kurqa said:
thanks...if you guys are doing 10km/l then i guess a full tank will easily take you to 600km..? thats a lot if you ask me..ive just been doing some highway driving the past 2 days and the first 50km...the needle barely moved!! however, after it approached the 80-100km reading...BIG movement!!! now managed to squeeze about 120km for the 1st quarter tankful..but like what some others have said, the first half depletes a lot slower than the 2nd half so will wait and see..and report again at half tank..!

Dun need to follow the fuel gauge because it is not really accurate. You can reset your trip meter and use the trip meter to gauge your distance. It is more accurate that way.

BTW, I normally get abt 500km before the light comes on.

wow, as someone else mentioned, i'm getting 16l/100km. just came back from a 300KM out of town trip and my consumption improved to 15.6l/100km (but I was flooring the car almost all the way).

the difference in consumption must be the fuel sold here in the Philippines (though the weather and humidity can play a factor as well), but most of you with valvetronics are doing almost double my efficiency so I'm not so sure.

I doubt it's my exhaust, since consumption hasn't changed much since I installed it. I have a supersprint cat, center muffler and rear muffler. Still no engine mods, not even a filter due to recent oil leaks which warranty took care of.

My full tank run me around 340 kms before fuel warning light came on, and here, i'm reading about guys who do 500! this is not fair! 1/4 tank gets me roughly 65kms.

I wasn't worried much before but since my sister's 2003 2.0L CR-V does much worse than my car (she drives much slower than me) i'm using that as a benchmark and I'm not too worried. But then again, must be the local fuel or the ambient temperature for the disparity.

mikeygar said:
(but I was flooring the car almost all the way).

That is why your FC is so poor!!! You are driving it like a F1 car.

Hi !

I think I know why your car consumed so much fuel.

May be your sister is stealing your car fuel while you are sleeping to fill her 2003 2.0L CR-V. Ha Ha :)

Just joking :)

m getting 597km for 61 litres or 9.79km/l or 10.2l/100km - stock e46

My N42 318Ci is doing about 12.5L/100km using the 'fueled and resetting trip meter' method (no obc), car has a proper run in with already 40k km now. I make sure that the tire (225/45/17) pressure is maintained at 31-32psi most of the time and change engine oil at 10,000km intervals. Do about 60% highway and 40% city. Using Mobil Syn 8000 petrol.

Is there any way to improve fuel consumption? Will drop-in K&N or better spark plugs help? I heard that the plugs make a huge difference.

Thanks

CSS said:
My N42 318Ci is doing about 12.5L/100km using the 'fueled and resetting trip meter' method (no obc), car has a proper run in with already 40k km now. I make sure that the tire (225/45/17) pressure is maintained at 31-32psi most of the time and change engine oil at 10,000km intervals. Do about 60% highway and 40% city. Using Mobil Syn 8000 petrol.

Is there any way to improve fuel consumption? Will drop-in K&N or better spark plugs help? I heard that the plugs make a huge difference.

Thanks

Hi ! CSS.

I have installed both D1 Voltage Stabilizer and Volker Racing Plug.

My car fuel consumption improve :)

I think the Volker Plug contribute the most :)

hi guys,

me also jul 2003 318i but FC also lousy at about 7.5-hardly 9km/L. I use the original 205/55/R16. I am the second owner for 7 mths and current mileage only 34K. about 50% city but FC never improve since Apr!

You guys sure could get over 10km/K without any enhancers?

hi again, i've been using the same reset odometer at every refuelling method as most of you guys cuz no OBC and also did some reading from some foreign web sites..here goes:

there were a few people talking about the possibility of petrol actually evaporating from your fuel tank while it is parked for long periods of time (petrol is very volatile as we all know)..so this seems pretty possible..did i forget to mention that 1 full tank lasts me 10 days to 2 weeks on average before the fuel lights come on??? my last top-up was on Nov 1st..today's the 10th and guees what..i've only used about 3/8 tank and odometer reads 167km..anyone who's heard of the evaporating petrol..perhaps you could comment?? thanks!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feinsteinzeug

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back