E46 318i Fuel Consumption Test..!

kurqa

Hi all just thought i'd contribute on this as i've just done a multi-week test over 3 or 4 tankfuls after reading of such diverse fuel consumption figures for fellow 318s..Hope it helps...

Firstly..lets look at the subject car.

- Fully Stock Nov '02 FL 2.0 Valvetronic 318i except for a Supersprint exhaust (No other mods whatsoever)
- 205/55/R16 Pirelli P6000 tyres (which are SUPPOSED to give BETTER fuel economy due to the decreased rolling resistance)
- Mileage over the past 3 years @ 21600km = Average of 7200km/year
- Superb Condition and Accident Free (so all the more no reason for problems)

Ok here goes...

1st Tank: 50litres for approx. 330km = 6.6km/litre = 15.15l/100km

2nd Tank: 53 litres for approx. 350km = 6.6km/litre = 15.15l/100km

3rd Tank: 58 litres for approx. 410km = 7km/litres = 14.3l/100km

Driving habits:
- Not a speedster so always within speed limits (at most exceed by 10/20km/h??)
- 90% city driving and 10% expessway so i guess lotsa start/stops
- Duration of car trips usually less than 20 minutes, around 80%
- Bouts of spirited driving sometimes to satisfy the car's inherent nature (isn't that what BMWs were made for?)

I know there are many out there who feel really shitty about their FCs...so i hope this report brightens up your day and helps you realise there are those who are less fortunate than you..at my expense of course =)

Looking forward to hearing from all you people..thanks for reading!

Re: E46 318i Fuel Consumption Test..!

just reset my OBC and after 2 tanks, average reading is 16.6l/100km. A bit heavy on the pedal in the evenings, but during trip to work, bad traffic. i'll be doing some highway driving on the weekend, so i'll update this with new figures.

Car is 2.0l valvetronic btw

7200km/year is on the low side, so the 3 yr old car could have been sitting around for a while, or maybe lots of city driving.

Monitor the fuel consumption, do your servicing, etc, and by 30k km, let's see if things improve. BTW, Torco oil works well for me!

Hi ! Kurga.

I would like to suggest the followings:

(1) Check your tyres pressure
(2) If your tyres are 3 years old, please change new tyre (For safety reason). Pirelli P6000 tyres are lousy tyres :(
(3) Change Engine Oil
(4) Install Volker Racing Plug
(5) Install D1 Voltage Stabilizer

I am driving the same car as your but I am getting 9.5 to 10.5KM/L.

I think the main reason is due to your 90% city driving and 10% expessway :(

All the best to you :)

kurqa said:
Hi all just thought i'd contribute on this as i've just done a multi-week test over 3 or 4 tankfuls after reading of such diverse fuel consumption figures for fellow 318s..Hope it helps...

Firstly..lets look at the subject car.

- Fully Stock Nov '02 FL 2.0 Valvetronic 318i except for a Supersprint exhaust (No other mods whatsoever)
- 205/55/R16 Pirelli P6000 tyres (which are SUPPOSED to give BETTER fuel economy due to the decreased rolling resistance)
- Mileage over the past 3 years @ 21600km = Average of 7200km/year
- Superb Condition and Accident Free (so all the more no reason for problems)

Ok here goes...

Driving habits:
- Bouts of spirited driving sometimes to satisfy the car's inherent nature (isn't that what BMWs were made for?)

I know there are many out there who feel really shitty about their FCs...so i hope this report brightens up your day and helps you realise there are those who are less fortunate than you..at my expense of course =)

Bro

Definitely way too high FC!

My valvey mostly city driving too and lotsa spirited driving esp after exhaust mod and Volker plugs......but I still manage 9.8L/100KM most times.

Was the car used by someone else before you took over? Cos mileage sounds low and perhaps the car never "Loot" enough and then "BUAY TONG" somewhere inside......so maybe a lot carbon built up.......

Service the car, then monitor again....................

Cheers!

My previous E46, 320i was also clocking almost the same number of FC.
full tank is around 15-16l/100k.
3/4 tank is around 14-15l/100k
2/4 tank is around 14l/100k
1/4 tank is around 13-14l/100k

This is based on 90% city driving, 10% highway driving, on the weekend.
Driving habit is offensive driving, with some spritted drive on the highway, but not much. My old ride was mostly stocked with PS2 225/45/17 tyres.

I rest the OBC each time I pump, so I have accurate reading for each pump.

One way to solve this is to pump 3/4 tank. best is 2/4 tank. FC is at worse between 3/4 to full tank. the most efficient is around 1/4 tank or less (before the red light is on).

Oh, dat sounds like a terrible guzzler. Puzzling but my E36 318iS (1995) is returning 600km on 55 liters. Maybe 'cos it's a manual....
- 225/50/16 rubbers
- RON 95
- 50/50 mix of city n hywy
- bone stock
- quite heavy footed, frequent visits to 4K

On the trip to Malacca last wk, it was able to cover 230km on 17 litres, very surprised....95% hywy at 130kmh average.

I'm also getting about 10-10.5km/l on my 2003 318 valvetronic. My car is stock. Perhaps your predominantly city driving plus short trips have a big effect on the fuel consumption.

I had opted for a 318 over a 320 because of concerns over fuel consumption. I've not been disappointed, as I found that the 318 drinks only marginally more than my previous car, which had a 1.6l engine. That car gave me 11km/l on average.

kurqa said:

Driving habits:

Wah bro, your FC seems way too high. The highest I have come across for a valvetronic. Doesn't sound rite at all even with 90% city driving and some spirited driving.

Wow...encouraged to see that even a newbie post like mine generated some interest.. =)

Thanks all brothers for your advise..well it's my mom's car actually and i've only been driving her car for the past year..the first 2 years she only clocked 11000-12000km!! and just when i thought my spirited driving and relative heavy footedness is to blame, it seems most of you guys are WORSE!!! haha..servicing is done annually at PML (they should have change engine oil) cuz mom is the typical "trust only the agent" owner...but now i am thinking of annual servicing elsewhere.

As for the tires they're really new only about 10mths/7000km old..what a rip off...my uncle's "friend" charged us $740 for 4 = $185 each for sucky 205/55/R16 P6000s!!! (thanks for telling me anyway BMWsilver) sigh..sometimes you learn that its not always good to take up lobangs...the only lobang you're gonna get is the one in your pants!!

Tyre pressure since i've started driving has been in the range of 240-260 kPa (front) and 250-280 kPa (rear)...though i've been checking on over-inflation wear and tear..

Would like to blame SPC for the low economy of their fuel but i know thats stretching it.. heh...anyway will monitor this current tankful and keep you guys updated..hope to hear from more of you!

ur consumption is even higher than a 3litre. i m getting 13l/100km.

kurqa said:
and just when i thought my spirited driving and relative heavy footedness is to blame, it seems most of you guys are WORSE!!!

U lost me there. Is there another forummer with similar ride getting higher FC than yours?

HOLY SMOKES!

I just checked the OBC on the M3 and it's 15.0l/100km. Do you go WOT and redline every gear? :whatthe: Your FC is higher than a 3.2L!

wow, thats amazingly bad. i get 11l/100km with 90 percent city driving and i have a turboed 2.5 litre engine.

RaptureM3 said:
OMGWTFBBQ.
Actually ah..wat does BBQ stand for? :ehhh:

SL2 said:
Actually ah..wat does BBQ stand for? :ehhh:
Babi queue lor.............kekeke

T6 said:
U lost me there. Is there another forummer with similar ride getting higher FC than yours?

oops sorry i meant the driving style seems more aggressive and more heavy-footed!

Rapture>> what do you mean theyre getting 16l/100km? are they on 318s too or like...330?

well..did a triple check on the figures today...the only error is like +-0.1l/km so it still stands...but could it be that some gearboxes drag more unnecessarily (ECU glitches?) like what one other forumer remarked in a post i read "the 1st half tankful seems to diminish slower than the 2nd half" thats one other thing i noticed!

toto>> youre driving a 530 arent you?? WTF..thanks for the encouragement..heh.

Well ... since my E90 shares the same valvetronic as the E46 I would give my 2 cents worth as basis of comparison.

I have just passed my 1000km, so the engine is not run-in yet. But even so, for my very first full tank I managed about 600km. When I topped it up, it came to about 54 litres. So dividing the two gives 9l/100km.

This is with about 50 city/50 highway, and I must say I am rather light-footed.

Am really quite surprised your consumption is so high. Do you
- set your aircon to 16c full blown all the time
- keep your running car when waiting for people, taking naps in car (yes, I see a lot of parents doing that in CBD carparks early morning after dropping their kids to school!) etc
- rush towards red lights

All the above sucks up enormous amount of fuel. Remember, the key to efficient city driving: it's not how fast your drive, it's how little you stop!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
i9bet41so

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back