Buying a 2nd Hand 3 Series

Re: Buying a 2nd Hand 3 Series

Hi guys!

I'm new to the world of BMWs.. and having itchy fingers on the E46 318/320.. Do you guys think going to PML used cars division will worth the effort and money?

Cheers! :)
shakshak

Hi everybody, am a newbie here. Joined this forum because considering a second hand 318/320 purchase, and have quite a few questions since I've never owned a BMW before. Hope somebody can help :)

1. I love the look of the cars however the frequent "facelifts" eally bother me since I'm not the sort to change car every 2 years. Ideally, I'd like to drive the next car I buy till the COE is up to save money. What I'm worried about is buying a 3 series, and having it look dated and "old" the minute BMW does another facelift? Does that bother you guys? Also does that mean the post-facelift 320 would be a safer option? (Sorry still have no idea about which E-something models I'm talking about heh)

2. Do you guys service and repair your cars with PML or at outside workshops? If you do your servicing outside, how much do you save? Can you give me an idea of basic service and maintainence costs? Tyre changes, scratch/dent/paint repairs,etc.

3. Read in previous posts about testing at BVO/J4C, which place is more recommended, and can anyone share the contact numbers and person to look for?

dear all,

I am new to the forum and am not familiar with the acronyms.

for the workshop.
what is the meaning for BVO and J4C?

Where is the exact address and who do we liaise with?
reason I am asking is because I am planning to bring a pre-owned BMW 318 IA for a evaluation before making the purchase.

please advice.

thanks.

regards
Newcastle

Also, Good luck to your selection. Do remember that mileage is a very important factor in cars. Especially when the repairs don't come cheap and fast. Enjoy the process of checking out all the cars. hehe

thanks matey!!! I am seriously planning this car. its about 10 years but has mileage of about 9000 per year...so looks ok to me.. :D

Hi Newcastle,

Yeah, Just make sure the depreciation/yr is worth getting. I had a coe vehicle too before my current ride. The cost of repair in 1 year is more than the depreciation and there is no gaurantee that nothing else is going to give way.

I calculated 4500/yr depreciation but repairs alone for the first 10 months hit about 5000 in items big and small and what not. And still its never as good as new after repair, just manageable only. The last thing was the feel -good factor. It impossible to have it with the car that I had. The cost of ownership is more than a brand new jap car but people treat you like a vespa rider going on a despatch. Just my ramblings again.

So be careful and try not to end up like me. I sold the car after 10 months.

Just to continue, The coe car would be nice if I had it from day 1. Rather than day 5840....

vegadonovan;303807 said:
Just to continue, The coe car would be nice if I had it from day 1. Rather than day 5840....

hmmm... the one I was eyeing will be COE car soon...ie. it will start the ten-year COE car phase very soon....

thats my main worry.... the maintenance work......

hi everyone, i am new to the forum and need some of your advice to purchase a 320i year 2006 with mileage of 100,000km at $83K. Is this a good buy? What are the risks for a high mileage car? I am planning to send the car for evaluation at BVO as recommended in this website. thanks for your help in advance!

Hi mate, the mileage is a killer especially for a car that's barely 3 years old. look for others in my opinion unless your warranty is till available and you are confident to get pml to change out all the worn out parts by hook or crook.... certain things are common to fail when mileage is high at 100k...

Hi,

Not sure if the question I have is vague or not...

Can someone tell me whether it is alright to get a 4-5 year old BMW with SMG1? How problematic is the SMG1 vs. the normal Steptronic? All I know is that the SMG1 is manual trans like the Selespeed while the Steptronic is an auto trans.

Would the SMG1 lasts the next 4-5 years without a need for major repairs assuming the mileage is low and I don't travel low distance anyway (current car is about 78k after 4.8 years). If there are failures, what kind of repair costs am I looking? Want to factor these costs when getting a 2nd hand BMW...

Thanks in advance!

Hi to all,

I am planning to buy E93 320i convertible from PI Vincar. Anyone can provide me any professional advice?

Sorry to borrow this thread.

Can anyone advise from getting the used car from PML?

Looking at the 320I.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Regards

stoneage1978;405985 said:
Sorry to borrow this thread.

Can anyone advise from getting the used car from PML?

Looking at the 320I.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Regards

thot they (or at least the SE that served me) was very professional.

Apologies for hijacking this thread.

I'm in the market for a decent E36 320, any tips on a pre-purchase checklist?

Common faults or critical areas to look out for before committing?

how do you calculate depreciation and then only consider to buy at 1 to 2 years old car instead of a brand new car ?
ie: if a 1 year old car is cheaper by only $10K or less than a new car, then it is not worth to consider right ?

vintantc;43927 said:
Halo BMW fans! I am new to the club and hope to seek your "lao jiao" advice!

I have tested both Dec 02 318 and 320. 320 has so much more power but I feel that 318 has adequate power for Singapore road conditions.

Not quite sure now which to buy now :(

Also, what are the things I should look out for when shopping for a preowned Bimmer?

Anyone's advice would be very much appreciated :)

Shopping for one myself... a E46 320i to be precise...

Only advise I got from a friend who bot a E36, was to ask permission to send the car to J4C for a condition check *$$$ attached* to make sure... plus the driver's intuition of engine sound and handling when testing it :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
betonstein1

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back