Buying a 2nd Hand 3 Series

vintantc

Halo BMW fans! I am new to the club and hope to seek your "lao jiao" advice!

I have tested both Dec 02 318 and 320. 320 has so much more power but I feel that 318 has adequate power for Singapore road conditions.

Not quite sure now which to buy now :(

Also, what are the things I should look out for when shopping for a preowned Bimmer?

Anyone's advice would be very much appreciated :)

Hi there!

And welcome!

actually this is a favourite question among many newcomers.. keke.

Anyone can find the previous threads on this topic?

Should have a "FAQ".

Ryan?

:thumbsup:

I'll go for a 6 pot than a 4 pot anytime. It is more than engine difference. For example,
kidney grills, rain channel strip are chrome
Door handles, bootlid grip, wiper nozzle console, roof rack are body colored
twin exhaust
Interior trims

Re: Buying a 2nd Hand 3 Series

vintantc said:
Halo BMW fans! I am new to the club and hope to seek your "lao jiao" advice!

I have tested both Dec 02 318 and 320. 320 has so much more power but I feel that 318 has adequate power for Singapore road conditions.

Not quite sure now which to buy now :(

Also, what are the things I should look out for when shopping for a preowned Bimmer?

Anyone's advice would be very much appreciated :)

Hi,

Go for the 320... more mod potential and u will not regret it...

Some pointers:

1. Check for fresh paint in the engine or boot compartment, could be signs of accidents..

2. Startup the car and see if there is any check lights that remain lighted.

3. Mileage, condition of brake discs and tyres.

4. Power windows. Wind up and down the power windows to check if there is any unusual noise. Windows regulators are known to fail in the 2-3 years mark. (I had 2 of them replaced recently under warranty).

5. More importantly, check if it is a PML or PI car. Better buy PML cars as they have 3 years warranty.

ENjoy and have fun shopping! :thumbsup:

I used to have a E46 318 in the family for 4 yrs.

Exactly, when we test drove, we felt that the 318 was sufficiently peppy for city roads.

But then hor... after a while, regretted quite a bit because it was not a 6 cyl, and the potential wasn't there. Sold off after 4 yrs of usage.

If it had been a 320, may be keeping even longer.

Theoretically, wouldn't a 6 cyl consume 50% more fuel than a 4 cyl? Unless we are saying that for 6 cyl, the RPM is lower at same speed of 4 cyl.

I'm just guessing. That was the impression when I visited SM motos (Volvo being a 5 cyl car).

Go with a 6 potter, having driven the E46 318 previously - not that it's any less a bimmer, as a matter of fact, the 4 potter revs just as smooth if not smoother than some v6 in the market.

As you've pointed out quite correctly, the 4 potter is indeed "peppy" enough for local thoroughfares, but it does lack the punch the 6 potter has especially so on the N-S highway.

can i ask what is the honest consumption of the 2 ?????its my dream car , hope 3 more years down the road i can sell my and get a bimmer.

and a very important qns.....does the gearbox give way easy??? what is the cost of repair(aka aka)

I just got my 2nd hand 320 (Aug 02) a few weeks back. It's great and don't regret my decision. As for fuel consumption, I'm still finding out. But according to the on-board computer, it's about 10.8L/100km.

Last petrol tank got me approx 475KM and had to pump 55L.

CricketWee said:
I just got my 2nd hand 320 (Aug 02) a few weeks back. It's great and don't regret my decision. As for fuel consumption, I'm still finding out. But according to the on-board computer, it's about 10.8L/100km.

Last petrol tank got me approx 475KM and had to pump 55L.

That's pretty good consumption for the 320i! :)

Puny said:
That's pretty good consumption for the 320i! :)

There are several previous threads on 318i and 320i consumption... sadly, I have not been able to achieve those numbers

emiffy said:
There are several previous threads on 318i and 320i consumption... sadly, I have not been able to achieve those numbers
so what yr FC for yr 320 like??? 400-450??? or 350-400??? thank u

Depends on driving style and traffic. These days I do almost 0% highway. If I'm featherfooted, I get 400km per tank. If you throw in highways, you can usually see 450-500km (or maybe more...)

Sorry to use this thread to ask some questions,

I am definately a bimmer lover but dun really know much about 3 series.

I like the last batch of 318se. So i guess its called E46? Sports edition as in spoilers and body kit? From which year onwards is the headlight (looking from the side) pointing upwards instead of down? And the door handle follows the color of the car instead of black?

I am looking for a second hand 3 series. Whats the difference between valvtronic and steptronic? Is 318 step and 320 valve?

Anyone know of any good places that i can go shop for bimmer?

When is the next gathering? Think i need to go down to consult the gurus!

Sorry for asking so much questions.

Liverpudlian said:
Sorry to use this thread to ask some questions,

I am definately a bimmer lover but dun really know much about 3 series.

I like the last batch of 318se. So i guess its called E46? Sports edition as in spoilers and body kit? From which year onwards is the headlight (looking from the side) pointing upwards instead of down? And the door handle follows the color of the car instead of black?

I am looking for a second hand 3 series. Whats the difference between valvtronic and steptronic? Is 318 step and 320 valve?

Anyone know of any good places that i can go shop for bimmer?

When is the next gathering? Think i need to go down to consult the gurus!

Sorry for asking so much questions.
I'll be short about my reply cause pretty busy doing stuff! Don't mind..

1. Yes it's called E46. 2002 was the year with the "cat-eye" facelift.

2. Door handles can be sprayed if you request from your CSA. I believe it only became standard colour coded in mid-2004 onwards.

3. Valvetronic is the engine technology. It's a variable drivetrain system. Steptronic is your gear management, whereby you can select your gears manually while using a auto box. It's like the selespeed in alfa romeos. Valvetronic and Steptronic are two very very different things altogether.

4. Shop for Bimmer? Performance Motors Limited... Hahahahaa... J/k. Well you can try our bazaar..or you can check out classifieds. Not too sure how to answer you on this.

5. Gathering is THIS sunday. Please click on the "Join Us at the meetup" link (on top of this page) to check out the details.

Hope to see you soon!

Thanks for the prompt reply Ryan,

I have been checking out the prices in the papers recently and all are sold my agents with some crazy prices. So thats why i was thinking if anyone knows of really good car agents or even better the owner.

Will be there this Sunday. Hopefully someone will answer my questions. Hopefully someone will EVEN entertain me.

What time is starts and who should i even look for man?

Liverpudlian said:
Thanks for the prompt reply Ryan,

I have been checking out the prices in the papers recently and all are sold my agents with some crazy prices. So thats why i was thinking if anyone knows of really good car agents or even better the owner.

Will be there this Sunday. Hopefully someone will answer my questions. Hopefully someone will EVEN entertain me.

What time is starts and who should i even look for man?
All the details are here ;)

http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
betonstein1

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups