Reliability of the F10 523 gearbox

Re: Reliability of the F10 523 gearbox

i change gear box oil every 40k. before the problem come. PML always say dont need to change till you scrape. if you listen to PML you die. hahaha.

Otar;1123854 said:
yesterday went to change the transmission oil at one of the sponsored ws. problem is still not solved. sigh.

Usually its just the solenoids and valves within the gearbox needs to be changed. Check it out with the site sponsors. Repairs would be a few thousand.

they didn't. when i told them the problem, straight away the suggestion is to change oil. so today called them again, and without diagnosing, the ws asked me to change valve body. when i asked will that solve the problem, the reply was 'cannot guaranteed but majority can.'

playstation76;1123858 said:
Got ask them diagnosed the problem?

i got a quote from one of the site sponsors, the same one which did the auto oil change. few thousand indeed... but no guarantee that it will solve the problem.

Otar;1123896 said:
they didn't. when i told them the problem, straight away the suggestion is to change oil. so today called them again, and without diagnosing, the ws asked me to change valve body. when i asked will that solve the problem, the reply was 'cannot guaranteed but majority can.'
This type of ws please avoid

finally i agreed with PS!
a few grands and no guarantee???? kong similan.

without knowing the actual problem causing the gearbox problem, any intervention would at best be exploratory (although at the expense of the poor owner who has to fork out money and time running to and fro). That's why cannot give guarantees.

That's why I said go to a WS with proper EXPERTISE and "passion" to really diagnose the problem. If that WS with proper expertise and passion cannot do it (or if they just anyhow tell u change this change that), PLEASE PM me which workshop it is. I will avoid at all costs, FRIENDS OR NO FRIENDS, cos tat means your so called expertise and passion is talk cock. But if genuinely cannot find the problem (like some best doctors in the world also cannot cure a disease), then time to either bite the bullet change GB or sell car...

My previous E60 had to overhaul the gearbox and change the valve body for almost a grand 7 years ago. My WS cannot be sure they could solve the problem because it was their first case. I trusted their judgement and took the plunge. Lucky for me, the problem was completely solved.

On my friend's F10 a few years ago, the same workshop couldn't replace just the valve body because it wasn't available then. The whole gearbox costed too much. Lucky for him, the reprogramming of the transmission ECU by PML minimized the problem.

I hope TS finds a solution with minimum cost impact soon. Good luck bro.

it is one of the site sponsors here. but can't really blame them. since the cost of auto oil change isn't exorbitant and much cheaper than the other options, i took the chance in the hope for a quick and cheaper solution to the problem.

but not the suggestion to change the valve body. too much money to take the chance.

playstation76;1123907 said:
This type of ws please avoid

If got chance go drain out your transmission fluid and go sniff and molest it.

If it smells burnt or if you find metal stuff that should have been stuck to the magnet in your filter but it did not .... Then probably something grinded itself, overheated and got burnt.

Measure the temp of the gearbox as well and think about what metal thing would be causing fluids to burn.

The mechatronics is a hydro-electrical thing. Doesn't make any noise nor does it have any mechanical stuff in there last time I molested one ..... All it does is to apply hydraulic pressure based on voltage signals it gets from its other ECU Bros that sits on the same bus line to get the clutches going.

Those clutches and seals sit in a metal enclosure that is completely closed. Peeking with a borescope is not going help. X-ray eyes would help.

You can only guess what goes on in there with some small clues here and there.

Else open it up and have a Pasar Malam .... See the faulty parts and replace those. Sometimes it's called an overhaul.

That works nicely for the 6HP .... Lots of spare parts.

Too bad the 8HP hasn't got much spare parts available. Log stock barrel replacements seems to be the only option for the major components .....

For the 8HP GB - Not only clutches are burnt ..... Burns hole in the pocket too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Otar;1123970 said:
it is one of the site sponsors here. but can't really blame them. since the cost of auto oil change isn't exorbitant and much cheaper than the other options, i took the chance in the hope for a quick and cheaper solution to the problem.

but not the suggestion to change the valve body. too much money to take the chance.
What is the next course of action then?

Otar, there was a thread in the 3-Series Forum by someone(Aaron?) who changed all the solenoid valves, oil pan and ATF of his E90. A few contributors to this particular thread expressed how they also did the same changes and solved various jerking and vibration problems with their gearboxes.

I was thinking, that you did not completely solve your problem because you only changed your ATF - am I right? Suppose you changed the valves and the pan as well, perhaps your issues can be solved. Of course I'm no mechanic nor expert, so I can't guarantee you anything.

What's suggested is applicable for the 6HP ZF. E.g changing the brake ,bridge and connector seals as well as the solenoids.

For the 8HP - those spare parts to what I know is not sold separately yet. Would have made Otar's life easier if it's available.

Jim49;1123993 said:
Otar, there was a thread in the 3-Series Forum by someone(Aaron?) who changed all the solenoid valves, oil pan and ATF of his E90. A few contributors to this particular thread expressed how they also did the same changes and solved various jerking and vibration problems with their gearboxes.

I was thinking, that you did not completely solve your problem because you only changed your ATF - am I right? Suppose you changed the valves and the pan as well, perhaps your issues can be solved. Of course I'm no mechanic nor expert, so I can't guarantee you anything.

PML has suggested to change the GB. Will have a 2 year warranty on the GB after that. So likely will have to send to them for repair then sell the car away. Posted a dekit sales thread liow.

Sigh.

playstation76;1123975 said:
What is the next course of action then?

like MW mentioned, that's exploratory at best. Since PML diagnosed and said there's nothing wrong with the valve body/solenoid and the recommendation is to change the whole GB - i think is better to just do that.

Just wondering, if i pay PML to repair and change the whole GB - can I then request for them to give me back the spoilt one? will be quite cool to use it as my coffee table. LOL.

Jim49;1123993 said:

Otar;1124142 said:
PML has suggested to change the GB. Will have a 2 year warranty on the GB after that. So likely will have to send to them for repair then sell the car away. Posted a dekit sales thread liow.

Sigh.

Sad. So I presume you won't be getting another bmw from pml? If not, don't repair and trade it in with pml. Throw the problem back to them! :)

can't get a good price with a car like that.

is quite amazing. went to test drive and when i said that i wanted to trade in my 523, the first question i get was "does it hav any gearbox problem?"

douggie;1124146 said:
Sad. So I presume you won't be getting another bmw from pml? If not, don't repair and trade it in with pml. Throw the problem back to them! :)

You could just replace the clutches if PML confirms that the valvebody is fine.....

What I am reading here is almost like saying - "I am replacing my engine because the vanos is causing my car to jerk ....."

Otar;1124143 said:
like MW mentioned, that's exploratory at best. Since PML diagnosed and said there's nothing wrong with the valve body/solenoid and the recommendation is to change the whole GB - i think is better to just do that.

Just wondering, if i pay PML to repair and change the whole GB - can I then request for them to give me back the spoilt one? will be quite cool to use it as my coffee table. LOL.

Otar;1124159 said:
can't get a good price with a car like that.

is quite amazing. went to test drive and when i said that i wanted to trade in my 523, the first question i get was "does it hav any gearbox problem?"

At pml? I don't think pml would dare to ask that question. I would use this to get back at them if they did.

at Lexus. LOL.

douggie;1124177 said:
At pml? I don't think pml would dare to ask that question. I would use this to get back at them if they did.

Back