Reliability of the F10 523 gearbox

Otar

I have made a search but found mostly very old discussion about the transmission fault in the E series. So decided to start a new thread.

I have a F10 523. Coming to 4 years with 70,000 km. Today while driving down the cp, I was greeted with the transmission fault message:

"Drive moderately. Possible to continue journey. Reduced acceleration. Have the problem checked by the nearest BMW Service."

After that, the car would suddenly jerk when coming to a stop. Actually this is not the first time I have experienced this but the problem would usually go away after I shut down the engine and restart again. In fact, during previous servicing, I raised it to the Service Advisor but he told me that if the message didn't appear again, it is ok.

But today I decided to drive to PML at Kg Arang and left the car for them to check. In the evening, the Service Advisor messaged me to say that there is a fault in the transmission. Gear ratio monitoring. They would do a software update but if the message appear again, then the gearbox needs to be replaced!

I don't drive the car hard. Hardly use the sports mode or redline the car. Just replaced the ignition coils couple of months ago as the car would suddenly shudder when stationary. Radiator was replaced too recently after the low engine coolant level came on and I discovered that the radiator was leaking.

Just wondering, how can this be right? I mean, 4 years and only 70000 km and the gearbox is gone? I had a Suzuki Swift which lasted me 10 years and more than 200000 km with no problem. Is the BMW's gearbox so unreliable?

Just want know if anyone else have the same experience and if the software upgrade would really solve the problem? The SA told me that it would cause $16,000 to replace the gear box!

:ultrasho::ultrasho::ultrasho:

Re: Reliability of the F10 523 gearbox

Go to R2D for second opinion

Otar;1123151 said:
I have made a search but found mostly very old discussion about the transmission fault in the E series. So decided to start a new thread.

I have a F10 523. Coming to 4 years with 70,000 km. Today while driving down the cp, I was greeted with the transmission fault message:

"Drive moderately. Possible to continue journey. Reduced acceleration. Have the problem checked by the nearest BMW Service."

After that, the car would suddenly jerk when coming to a stop. Actually this is not the first time I have experienced this but the problem would usually go away after I shut down the engine and restart again. In fact, during previous servicing, I raised it to the Service Advisor but he told me that if the message didn't appear again, it is ok.

But today I decided to drive to PML at Kg Arang and left the car for them to check. In the evening, the Service Advisor messaged me to say that there is a fault in the transmission. Gear ratio monitoring. They would do a software update but if the message appear again, then the gearbox needs to be replaced!

I don't drive the car hard. Hardly use the sports mode or redline the car. Just replaced the ignition coils couple of months ago as the car would suddenly shudder when stationary. Radiator was replaced too recently after the low engine coolant level came on and I discovered that the radiator was leaking.

Just wondering, how can this be right? I mean, 4 years and only 70000 km and the gearbox is gone? I had a Suzuki Swift which lasted me 10 years and more than 200000 km with no problem. Is the BMW's gearbox so unreliable?

Just want know if anyone else have the same experience and if the software upgrade would really solve the problem? The SA told me that it would cause $16,000 to replace the gear box!

:ultrasho::ultrasho::ultrasho:
Did you bought it 2nd hand?

anyway, just a quick update.

collected the car today after PML did some 'vehicle diagnosis - test module' (which cost $50) and 'programming/encoding control units' (which cost another $50). was told to monitor and if the fault comes on again, will have to replace the gear box.

keeping my fingers crossed though not very hopeful. sigh.

Oh forgot about codewerkz, RBB is da man for electronics

Change out your transmission fluid. PML will tell you that ZF gearbox no need to change. But I changed mine at 3rd party wshop at 70k and now it's smooth and silky.

still monitoring to see how. so far no error message but during one of the many trips the last couple of day, the symptoms came on again. i have now developed a phobia of stopping my car. i know the problem has not gone away. it is still there... waiting to pounce on me when i least expect it.

will likely to send to some of the ws recommended here. thanks all!

woa....after hearing your problem my balls shrink by a quarter!!
btw, mine is also a 523 2011 sep... mileage is also ard 75k+ ..so far nothing happened.
still running on the old software. did a 50k tranny oil change thats all. i kept my finger cross for you and hope nothing major that burns your pocket.

Otar;1123209 said:
anyway, just a quick update.

collected the car today after PML did some 'vehicle diagnosis - test module' (which cost $50) and 'programming/encoding control units' (which cost another $50). was told to monitor and if the fault comes on again, will have to replace the gear box.

keeping my fingers crossed though not very hopeful. sigh.
My friend's F10 523 2011 model experienced the same problem as your car just after warranty last year. PML did a software update like yours and the problem is very much reduced (can feel a very small jerk if you pay close attention but mostly not noticeable). Its been like this ever since and bearable.... fingers crossed.

funny how things start to break down all of a sudden once warranty ends.

In my case, it was my previous E60's aircon compressor. Before warranty ended, I already went to *XXX a few times but each time was given the "no problems, just need to top up gas" brush away but once warranty ended, it was "oh compressor gone need to change, $XXXX"

MW;1123380 said:
funny how things start to break down all of a sudden once warranty ends.

In my case, it was my previous E60's aircon compressor. Before warranty ended, I already went to *XXX a few times but each time was given the "no problems, just need to top up gas" brush away but once warranty ended, it was "oh compressor gone need to change, $XXXX"
Sounds familiar. I forgot how it is like under agent warranty already.

Somehow, after being here for few years.
I prefer to buy cars with warranty over.

as long as the jerk is not the noticeable type i can still bear with it. if not i also no dare to ferry ppl... later ppl thought i drive auto car also can jerk and starts wondering how i got my DL. lol.

anyway, glad to hear someone else who faced similar situation had the problem solved. i'll keep my fingers crossed indeed.

LimPeh;1123378 said:
My friend's F10 523 2011 model experienced the same problem as your car just after warranty last year. PML did a software update like yours and the problem is very much reduced (can feel a very small jerk if you pay close attention but mostly not noticeable). Its been like this ever since and bearable.... fingers crossed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maybe you can drain some of the ATF out and see the fluid ok or not for a start ...

Must be a reason why ZF say have OCI in their manual ....

Hi Bro

My F10 523 2011 model is having similar jerking issue when slowing down and most noticeable before stopping or lower gear changes at slow speed. Mine is PML unit from new, mileage is 56K. only Mods is Autoflash right after the warranty from PML expires. I am getting it checked these few days at another WS. Will update.

sorry to hear that.

do let me know if you manage to resolve the issue. have you ever brought the car back to PML?

anyway, for me... totally no problem for the last few days. it was so good that i thought maybe the problem has somehow gone away! unfortunately, today.... today the whole day the car was showing the same symptoms, ie. sudden jerk when slowing down to almost a stop. worse, even when moving off from stationary, the car would hesitate awhile before suddenly jerk forward.

so stressful driving the car now, esp when slowing down. always anticipating and anticipating the jerk. and when it did, the heart would still miss a beat.

SSDD1;1123605 said:
Hi Bro

My F10 523 2011 model is having similar jerking issue when slowing down and most noticeable before stopping or lower gear changes at slow speed. Mine is PML unit from new, mileage is 56K. only Mods is Autoflash right after the warranty from PML expires. I am getting it checked these few days at another WS. Will update.

yesterday went to change the transmission oil at one of the sponsored ws. problem is still not solved. sigh.

Otar;1123854 said:
yesterday went to change the transmission oil at one of the sponsored ws. problem is still not solved. sigh.
Got ask them diagnosed the problem?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycricketbetcom
Back