1st REPLY

Our Ref: LTA/VTL/VS/VE/F20.000.000/7276
Date : 30-Apr-2011
Tel: 1800 2255 582
Fax: 6553 5329

Dear XXXXXX

DRL - Daytime Running Light (LED)
FEEDBACK NUMBER: 20110418-3029

Please refer to your enquiry of 18 April 2011.

We would like to inform you that all cars to be registered for use in Singapore are required to comply with the registration and technical requirements set out in the Road Traffic Act (RTA) and its subsidiary legislation such as the Road Traffic (Motor Vehicles, Lighting) Rules, etc. This is to safeguard the interest of the vehicle users and other road users.

We wish to clarify that currently, we do allow factory-fitted Daytime Running Lights (DRL) that are certified to meet the said regulations by the vehicle manufacturers to be fitted on their vehicles. Vehicle manufacturers, who have designed and installed DRLs in their vehicles, would do so according to internationally recognised vehicle safety standards such as the UNECE R48 and R87. This is to ensure that the DRLs installed do not cause unnecessary glare to other road users and dim or turn off at the appropriate times.

However, we do not allow the retrofitting of aftermarket DRLs on existing vehicles which are not originally designed with the system unless it is duly certified by the vehicle manufacturer that it is safe to do so. We would also like to highlight that aftermarket DRLs, including those retrofitted into the existing fog lamps/ headlamps, would have the propensity to cause glare and distraction to other motorists when incorrectly fitted. Hence, such retrofitting kits are not allowed unless the vehicle manufacturer could endorse on the design and installation that such modifications have been made to the lighting system.

You may wish to check with the official local agent of your vehicle on the availability of aftermarket DRL kits that are suitable for your make and model of car. They can assist you in submitting an application to the Vehicle Engineering Division for a DRL designed specifically for your vehicle. We would require the relevant documents and test report of the aftermarket DRL to show that your vehicle, when fitted with the particular DRLs, can continue to meet internationally vehicle safety standards. We will advise them more specifically once we have reviewed the documents.

We hope that the above clarifies. Should you have further enquires, please do not hesitate to contact my colleagues, Mr Vincent Tan at tel: 6553 5701 or Mr Roshan George at tel: 6553 5170.

We thank you for writing in.

Yours sincerely
(SIGNED IN LOTUS NOTES)

CEDRIC SEE WEE THAI

EXECUTIVE ENGINEER

VEHICLE ENGINEERING DIVISION

LAND TRANSPORT AUTHORITY

Re: LTA Reply - Daytime Running Light (DRL)

2nd REPLY

Our Ref: LTA/VTL/VS/VE/F20.000.000/7600
Date : 31-May-2011
Tel : 6553 5444
Fax : 6553 5329

Dear XXXXX

RE: DRL - Daytime Running Light (LED)
FEEDBACK NUMBER: 20110520-0539

Please refer to your e-mail of 20 May 2011 and our earlier reply to you on 30 April 2011.

We thank you for your e-mail and the opportunity to clarify on the sale of vehicle accessories. Being a free trading nation, we freely allow trade in items so long as they are used for legitimate purposes. The import and sale of vehicle parts per se are not illegal as they could be used on vehicle engaged in legal off-roads vehicle racing, vehicle accessories exhibitions or magazines or for re-export to other countries. The problem lies with improper usage where their use may affect the safe operation, emission control and/or causing glare and distraction to other road users where as a result, compromise road safety.

We would like to take this opportunity to inform you that the Land Transport Authority (LTA) does not permit modifications on vehicles which adversely affect the safe operation of vehicles and endanger the vehicle occupants and other road users. Any person who uses an illegally modified vehicle is liable to an offence. It is also an offence for a person to install ay vehicle lighting systems, including aftermarket Daytime Running Lights that do not comply with our requirements. Offenders are liable, upon conviction, to a fine of up to $1,000 or a jail term of up to three months for first offence. Repeat offenders are liable, upon conviction, to a fine of up to $2,000 or a jail term of up to six months.

Motorists who are unsure, but are interested to carry out any form of modification/installation on their vehicle may refer to our website "www.onemotoring.com.sg" => "LTA Information & Guidelines" => "Vehicle Modification and Information" or call our hotline at 1800-CALL LTA (1800-2255 582) for information. Our officers will be glad to provide the necessary information and procedures pertaining to the items enquired.

We recognise the need to take a balanced approach in managing this issue and would like to assure you that if there are sufficient evident to warrant further investigation on your reported vehicle accessories shop modifying and/or performing illegal installation on vehicles without complying to our requirements, we would do so.

Once again, we thank you for the time taken to share your feedback with us and hope that we had addressed your queries satisfactory.

Yours sincerely
(SIGNED IN LOTUS NOTES)

CEDRIC SEE WEE THAI

EXECUTIVE ENGINEER

VEHICLE ENGINEERING DIVISION

LAND TRANSPORT AUTHORITY

*We invite you to share your views on land transport related issues with us at http://talk2lta.lta.gov.sg. Now, you can also send us your feedback via SMS at "77LTA" (77582).

TCSS. At the end of the day, aftermarket stuffs not allowed. They are disallowing LED DRL fitments that even EU countries allow.

So how? Must we now get PML to certify that the BMW LED DRL retrofit (shown in their website) complies with LTA's rules?

Zero, did you show LTA the webpage featuring BMW's LED DRL?

To be fair, even from a motoring enthusiast aka modhead pov, LTA is not wrong in enforcing rules like these, with proper explaining of the rationale behind it. This line of reasoning extends to several other common areas of mod. They are not against any mods. Just that the mods must be safe. And who is the authority competent enough to say it is safe? The manufacturer themselves. No horse run, solid and a stance hard to refute.

pengful;646832 said:
Zero, did you show LTA the webpage featuring BMW's LED DRL?

I did not show LTA the website but according to the reply, any retrofitting we need to get the manufacturer to certified.....this is as good as saying a big NO...

We are not allowed to turn ON the the DRL during the daytime even for safety reason....sianz!

zero;646862 said:
I did not show LTA the website but according to the reply, any retrofitting we need to get the manufacturer to certified.....this is as good as saying a big NO...

We are not allowed to turn ON the the DRL during the daytime even for safety reason....sianz!

Anyone got fined yet ?

Red_Bean_Bun;646884 said:
Anyone got fined yet ?

Not yet.....................

cheers

zero;646862 said:

IMHO, DRL is useless in city driving. It is more useful in country drive.

davidtch;646907 said:
IMHO, DRL is useless in city driving. It is more useful in country drive.

Originally, I was tempted to instal DRL; until I saw `so many Jap cars with it; some bluish... until I remembered; stock seems beautiful on my e90lci

zero;646862 said:

Are they out of their minds? Not allowed to turn on DRL? DRL = daytime running lights... they are supposed to be turned on!

I guess these will be typical government responses. Let's play cat and mouse. I can play. KNN and :wtf:

Racebred;646841 said:
To be fair, even from a motoring enthusiast aka modhead pov, LTA is not wrong in enforcing rules like these, with proper explaining of the rationale behind it. This line of reasoning extends to several other common areas of mod. They are not against any mods. Just that the mods must be safe. And who is the authority competent enough to say it is safe? The manufacturer themselves. No horse run, solid and a stance hard to refute.

Yeah agreed on this. :)

Red_Bean_Bun;646884 said:
Anyone got fined yet ?

Happened to a friend in a Stream.

TP stopped him and suan: You think you driving Audi ah.... $70 fine

I just sent an enquiry to PML about their DRL and their reply was that they did not have approval from LTA so they won't bring in nor install the DRLs. So the rest of you with DRLs, me included, be alert and stay out of trouble...:(

pengful;646990 said:
I just sent an enquiry to PML about their DRL and their reply was that they did not have approval from LTA so they won't bring in nor install the DRLs. So the rest of you with DRLs, me included, be alert and stay out of trouble...:(

i thought they did brought in the DRL and it was in their accessories brochure? :thinking: so after it being not approved by LTA, they are not gonna sell and fit it anymore? :errrrrrr:

hmm.. my Audi DRL is set to auto so it will may switch on automatically if the surroundings is dark. such as raining in the daytime etc..

I don't think there's any issue for Audi vehicles as it's well known for its DRL.

But frankly speaking, some non-audi vehicles install 3rd party DRL and it's really glaring to the eyes. So I'm glad the authority is working in this area.

Hmmm doesn't the current model E90 have the DRL option in iDrive? Then what? That's illegal? Weird.

I just leave it on auto. TP can stop me and i'll show him its part of the car.

Either PML or LTA have to sort this issue out.

LTA only has a problem with DRL that is retrofitted. They basically have a problem with anything that is retrofitted. If it comes as it is, homologated, you'll be safe, eg Harley exhausts.

In other words, LTA wants you to pay big money for the car if you like a specific feature.. instead of modding your car to match it which is the cheaper alternative..

Gov just want legal "kopi $$" ... pay LTA with various document prove ... the exos is certified as LTA approved... if you want to save $$ & don't want to try send in for approval... so the same exos is consider illegal.. haha

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytin8win

Latest posts

Back