Upgraded rims and now screeching sound

Re: Upgraded rims and now screeching sound

christopher ngo;1102947 said:
Sometimes mechanic will not using torque wrench due to save time and effort.
If i go repair or alignment and the mechanic was not usingtorque wrench to tight my rim, i will ask them take out and retight again with proper torque with proper torque setting, sounds like fussy owner but me and passengers life is much pricier than that extra 5-10 dollar labour charge.

I changed my stock F10 17" rims with RFT . It was original equipment when I bought the car from PML I always change and upgrade rim and tire after 3yrs or when original tired wear out whichever comes first.

So I just changed to 20" and shudder with Pirellis Pzeros. and just like the rod here..I have stock brake. There was already the sounds even when the tire shop guys reverse my car out for me to drive.

They said it's typical once I change rims. But my previous 2 rides never had this. So..anyway I told the issue I will drive it a couple of days to let the new set of rims and tires to "sit in" . After 2 days I beh tahan and drove back to shop. Also because now it's a 20" rim I also not careful when I turned and I scratched the rim. That being my stupid mistake and also the it had lower profile tires.

Ok..they couldn't figure it out either. But they rebuff off my minor scratches and presto l!! Looks exactly new again. I was happy. no charge some more.

While I was at the shop..a chap in a black 523 heard my comment. He too was upgrade his stock rims to a 20" rim and tire set. So he told the guys to take out my lugs and grease them a little on the threads.

They took the suggestion, take out the lugs on all 4 rims..lightly grease the threads, and put them back in again...
I drove off and ..there wasn't much of a sound .

I say that becos..I drove with my windows down all the way home and really..the screeching sound has gone. But next morning the sound came back.. I think it's loud when it's "cold". But throughout the day..the sound slowly diminished.

There was this post in the earlier pages about the larger rims and the momentum..I think that is a good explanation.

I don't think it was due to any upside down brake pad..because I had no sound when it was stock and refitting a rim does not involve taking out the brakes..so I am kinda confused when reading the screeching sound related to brake fitted wrong..

Ok I know not much help..but that's my experience

Re: Upgraded rims and now screeching sound

Wah, now I need to think thrice before upsizing... How about 19"? Any noise with 19" aftermarket staggered setup.?
Thanks

Looks like downside of changing to 20" rims is to live with the sound when cold and when wet.

Got this symptom the moment I change from 17" to 20".

Any brothers managed to solve this issue?

I checked with r2d. Sound should be due to resonance of the rim. Especially with thin spoke wheels. The frequency just nice same as the brake pads. Just sharing.
Personally I have also changed to bbk but have the same sound so bros if changing to bbk due to this sound should reconsider

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upgraded from 17 to 20" on my F10 and realised there're screeching sound whenever I press on the brake. The screeching sound sounds like brake pad worn out sound.

Asked shop why like that, shop said because of the bigger rims, and that is normal. Is this normal?

Any bro can help? Thank you.
Hi, i just upgraded my F02 18" to 20" rim. Exactly same screeching noise on front wheels when brake to a halt. I changed front brake pad as advised from workshop. Same noise ( in fact abit louder and attracted glances from passerby). Workshop advised I change front rotor disc too. I am hesitant and hope to get a second opinion from you guys.

Hi, i just upgraded my F02 18" to 20" rim. Exactly same screeching noise on front wheels when brake to a halt. I changed front brake pad as advised from workshop. Same noise ( in fact abit louder and attracted glances from passerby). Workshop advised I change front rotor disc too. I am hesitant and hope to get a second opinion from you guys.

In addition, my 18" original stock has no noise. It is light slow or hard press to halt that generates the front wheel noise. Mine is staggered front 245/40/r20, rear 275/35/r20. Also, my new rim front offset is ET35 where else the original specs offset is ET25. Unclear if the staggered or offset plays a part ? Any suggestion as to reduced or stop the noise.

Get the rotors skimmed slightly this removes the top layer of shiny (glazed) surface that generally causes the screeching. Some have reported success with remounting the wheels (not sure how but ok) and tightening down the wheel bolts again.

Get the rotors skimmed slightly this removes the top layer of shiny (glazed) surface that generally causes the screeching. Some have reported success with remounting the wheels (not sure how but ok) and tightening down the wheel bolts again.

Know of any shop that do the skimming ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keonhacainexus
Back