Upgraded rims and now screeching sound

Re: Upgraded rims and now screeching sound

heard too many stories and i reckon some wheels for some perculiar reasons got sound even it is hub centric ... possibly the wheel bad design or inperfect quality

Red_Bean_Bun;1058945 said:
Are those rims hub centric (72.6mm) ? If not, you may need hub centric rings ......

Check your caliper assembly and re-bed your brake pads.

wt_know;1058989 said:
heard too many stories and i reckon some wheels for some perculiar reasons got sound even it is hub centric ... possibly the wheel bad design or inperfect quality

I was previously on 20" Avangarde M355 rim (on F10 with stock brakes). After 3mths of screeching sound, I decided to change to 19" original BMW 351M rim and no more screeching sound after that.
I'm not sure whether it is because of 19" rim (smaller) or original BMW rims that help solve the screeching sound problem.

Anyone upgraded to original BMW 20" rim on F10 (non M5) with stock brakes? Do you get screeching sound while on light braking during cold start / low speed?

I was on 20" style 356 rims on stock brakes...no sound

now on AG M355 with Stoptech bbk also no sound

heng ahhh

My previous ride had some sound but became really loud after getting 19" rims. Finally found the problem after 1 year after I printed out the caliper diagram from brembo and headed out to WS and ask them to disassemble. Found the back plate behind the brake pad was upside down .......after assembling it accordingly for the 4 calipers .... no more sound.

wt_know;1058989 said:

MW;1059094 said:
I was on 20" style 356 rims on stock brakes...no sound

now on AG M355 with Stoptech bbk also no sound

heng ahhh

MW,
Is your previous 20" 356 style rim original BMW rim? If yes, this will more or less confirm that original BMW rims with stock brakes will not have the screeching sound.

I think with AG M355 rim + upgrade brake to BBK, will solve the screeching sound problem (this was confirmed by Ah Yang too)

Vice;1059132 said:
MW,
Is your previous 20" 356 style rim original BMW rim?

Yes................

I am on F10 stock brake and 20in , no sound leh
But last time my E60 with 19in got screeching sound

Had screeching brake noise at cold start especially in the morning (noise has been there for at least a year). Changed to Brembo 2 weeks back & the noise disappeared.

F10 stock brake with 19" bmw style 366 rims...got screeching sound from rear when the brakes are cold. Disappears after 1-2 traffic lights.

Does the screeching brake noise occur when pressing brake and abt to come to complete stop there's the sound?

klim milk;1058894 said:
DAMM, I just changed my stock F10 to 20" Vertini and the same sound came out when the car was driven back after the tire
alignment, spoke to the boss (mr Y) and D . all claimed this is normal.

After driving for a day ,the sound still there when I drive off and reverse park at my Hdb carpark.
its was so loud, I can hear it fm the inside of my car, and when i step out, I saw my second and third floor neighbour peeping out
of their window. Sibei Malu man .

Any clues if the workshop can retify ? sms them came back with those standard answers.
Not helping.

I am also living with the same problem for about a year, got the 20" from Mr Y. screeching sound when brakes cold after warm up no problem. it is worst in the morning after my maid wash the rim last night. I had once when a pedestrian auntie walking on the opposite site of the road jump up a got a fright from the brakes sound... Now I am used to it.

twhlyz;1098889 said:
I am also living with the same problem for about a year, got the 20" from Mr Y. screeching sound when brakes cold after warm up no problem. it is worst in the morning after my maid wash the rim last night. I had once when a pedestrian auntie walking on the opposite site of the road jump up a got a fright from the brakes sound... Now I am used to it.

Do u think its a brake problem or rims problem?

IMHO - Don't think its brakes.

Likely rim lugs are not torqued to specs.

Please check that each lug is torqued to 120nm.........

Over-torqueing does affect the rotors giving an impression that the brakes are having problems.

I have the exact same sound when I changed to 20 Breytons. Loud screeching sound when I brake. Then I changed to BBS and the sound is completely gone. Strange.

had the screeching sound too after upgraded 17 to 19 rims... Sound especially loud before coming to complete stop. Should be brakes pads finishing.. End up I change a bigger brake kit cos got bro dekit. Problem gone.

Luck of the draw......if the mech just use an impact wrench and drill all the way shiok. Other mechs may be happy with just enough agr agar drilling. Either way you will never really know if it followed torque specs unless the right tools are used.

In both cases the wheels have to come off for the new wheels or bbk to be fitted. Some mechs may drill all the way.

I had BBKs and it still screeched all the way. I also changed to other rims and it still screeched.

Later I decided to follow specs and re-examine the schematics of the bbk.

Found that the backing plate for the pads was upside down and wheel lugs torqued to 150nm.

That mech had a religious belief that tightest is the best- which BMW is not aligned with.

BMW has a database of torque specs for nuts and bolts for a reason.

Look at your spark plugs and oil filter cap ..... The torque specs are etched there for a reason.

Same applies to the rims ........ There is a spec for the rims to follow.

Hope maybe that might throw some light into the mystery.

2bee0rn0t2bee;1098932 said:
had the screeching sound too after upgraded 17 to 19 rims... Sound especially loud before coming to complete stop. Should be brakes pads finishing.. End up I change a bigger brake kit cos got bro dekit. Problem gone.

whiteonyx;1098931 said:
I have the exact same sound when I changed to 20 Breytons. Loud screeching sound when I brake. Then I changed to BBS and the sound is completely gone. Strange.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anyone has tried to re torque the wheel nuts and got the sound issue resolved ?

Sometimes mechanic will not using torque wrench due to save time and effort.
If i go repair or alignment and the mechanic was not usingtorque wrench to tight my rim, i will ask them take out and retight again with proper torque with proper torque setting, sounds like fussy owner but me and passengers life is much pricier than that extra 5-10 dollar labour charge.

Back