Run-Flats ? Repair or Change

Re: Run-Flats ? Repair or Change

Hi ! I have an almost 5 yr old 523 with run-flat tyres (which are also almost 5 yrs old). The tyre puncture indicator came up last month, and i took it into PML. they checked and pumped the tyres, and the warning indicator went off.
The warning light has come on again. Should i repump the tyres again ?
What are the "real" symptoms of a tyre puncture on the run-flats ?
Can a normal service stn help to pump up my tyres and re-set idrive ? or do i need to bring it into PM for the reset ?

Thanks !

zag;70916 said:
just wondering how would a run flat become non run flat just becoz one put a patch on it.

Now back to topic. the only reason i can think of for not repairing a run flat is after a puncture and one continues to drive the car for a considerable distance till the next workshop as such the tyre characteristic particularly the side wall has changed and manufacturer deem it unsafe to be used again.

anyway.. i think run flat still sucks until the next generation when they improve, noisy and all but i like the stiffer side wall giving the crisp steering feel. 18" run flats cost $500 only nowadays for the lousy dunlop or better B/stone.

That's exactly the reason I read on another forum. Unlike normal tires which you must change as soon as they go flat, on an RFT you can continue driving for something like 100 km at 80km/h.. which can cause serious damage to the side-walls making the tires unsafe. I think if you patch within 20-30 km of a flat driving at 50-60 kmh, should be ok.

happychick;594614 said:
Hi ! I have an almost 5 yr old 523 with run-flat tyres (which are also almost 5 yrs old). The tyre puncture indicator came up last month, and i took it into PML. they checked and pumped the tyres, and the warning indicator went off.
The warning light has come on again. Should i repump the tyres again ?
What are the "real" symptoms of a tyre puncture on the run-flats ?
Can a normal service stn help to pump up my tyres and re-set idrive ? or do i need to bring it into PM for the reset ?

Thanks !
YOU Are likely have a punctured in 1 of the 4 tyre, get your regular shop to check if that is hole get them to fix it for you (best intenal repair)
if a punctured is found than you should tell PML that they did not do a good job when your last visit .

thanks Roberttan.

What are the indications of a tyre puncture (save for the idrive indication ?)
are there visual signs to look out for ?

happychick;594770 said:
thanks Roberttan.

What are the indications of a tyre puncture (save for the idrive indication ?)
are there visual signs to look out for ?
visual check by yourself is possible by looking round the all 4 tyre,but that is still a portion that sitting on the floor you cant see.
alternatively you can check all 4 tyre air pressure, and any 1 has a lower reading that norm that is like ly to be the punctured tyre.
to make it easy just drive to your regular shop they should know what to do.\

thanks again.
done a visual check - no signs of puncture - nor nails lodged :p

but i went to inflate the tyres this morning, and one tyre had an extremely low reading of 100 !!
(when the rear tyres sld be 240 based on my car load)

a bit difficult to catch the opening hours of a service station (since i work 830 to 6) but at least i now know which the offending tyre is.

Qn : is it safe to drive on till the weekend (when i get my tyres changed ?)
or is it necessary to immediately go into a service stn to at least patch the offending tyre ?

consideration : i am intending to change all 4 tyres as their "expiry" date is approaching soon (5 years) and i might as well change so that i can enjoy the new set.

TIA !

happychick;594968 said:
thanks again.
done a visual check - no signs of puncture - nor nails lodged :p

but i went to inflate the tyres this morning, and one tyre had an extremely low reading of 100 !!
(when the rear tyres sld be 240 based on my car load)

a bit difficult to catch the opening hours of a service station (since i work 830 to 6) but at least i now know which the offending tyre is.

Qn : is it safe to drive on till the weekend (when i get my tyres changed ?)
or is it necessary to immediately go into a service stn to at least patch the offending tyre ?

consideration : i am intending to change all 4 tyres as their "expiry" date is approaching soon (5 years) and i might as well change so that i can enjoy the new set.

TIA ![/QUOTE
now you know exactly which 1 got a punctured (after follow the procedure),what you can do (could) Save the tyre by pumping more air (20% more ) do still maintain the speed of 80km/h. ( do remember BMW book stated BMW dont recommend repaired of runflat tyre,WHY? may be they dont know how to repair :nehnehhh:,so most important is get it fixed internally so that can be sure that tyre is internally examined no demaged inside chamber especially driven for some distances.

if you want to drive at high speed and still be safe when u puncture your tire badly run flat will save your life. If you just run a 100 kph normal tires will do.

robecom1;697594 said:
if you want to drive at high speed and still be safe when u puncture your tire badly run flat will save your life. If you just run a 100 kph normal tires will do.
Brother robecom1
100km/h is FAST .
Unless you can do 50km/h and below
Runflat tyre does not 100% safe and Normal tyre also not 100% unsafe.
Premium car manufacturers working very hard to improve and enhance amke our driving Safer and Safer
If you change to normal tyre is nothing wrong, is you just remove a layer of xtra protection to you.:shoot:

If your tire blows at 150 kph RF tire gives you enough time to slowdown and still have control of it. NonRF tires at 150 kph blows most likely the car flies off the road you will have hard time controlling the wheel while braking to slow down, you probably be praying very hard that you will survive. RF tires gives you higher chance to survive in high speed blow outs.

robecom1;736574 said:
If your tire blows at 150 kph RF tire gives you enough time to slowdown and still have control of it. NonRF tires at 150 kph blows most likely the car flies off the road you will have hard time controlling the wheel while braking to slow down, you probably be praying very hard that you will survive. RF tires gives you higher chance to survive in high speed blow outs.

how often we drive at 150km/h and got puncture?
the chance is very slim but still exist
one of the main advantage of runflat tyre is above CONTROL

My ride does not come with RFT. Was wondering if I should switch back from normal tyres to RFT instead given no spare tyre?

In Singapore RFT is really not necessary unless you drive up North a lot (many people can't wait to get rid of them). Else just get a tire repair kit in car.

I lost a tyre... in a pothole... not on the NSH. Lucky it was an RFT because if not i would have lost a rim too.

Then, someone dropped a huge bolt on the elevated highway just opp vivo... and i was all glad it was an RFT.

With regards to the high cost of RFTs, I just replaced 4x 245/45/18 Pirellis @ $290ea. I think it's more affordable these days.

If we change to normal tires (away from Run Flats), and have no spare tire....

If puncture how?

1) Call tow truck?

2) I went to see the new Mercs and they have a bottle of spray thing. Can we buy that outside? Where?

U can buy the "worm" and fix yourself. The bottle sealant can be purchased from AD or Eng Soon or autobacs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keonhacainexus
Back