Legendary 10 Years
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :( :( :( :(

attachment.php

Re: RS4 beat M3 ?

aww... can save money buy a 335i then

Ahbengdriver;225952 said:
and the 335 is cheaper than the M3 by >$100k:woowooo:

but with all the options in.. probably still in S-class territory right...

That headline will definitely help sell more copies of Autocar UK magazine!

Btw, here is a scan on the magazine's summary conclusion from the E90 forums:

Link: RS4 beats new M3 in Autoexpress Test - BimmerPost - BMW Forums

attachment.php

Its all good competition between the two great performance icons. :)

But what i don't quite understand is, the review says the RS4 wins because its "easier to live with", while the M3 is "a sharper driver's car"?

Isn't that exactly why people love M3s right? Looks like the reviewer's criterias are abit off this time around.

:p

coolant;225962 said:
I know why the RS4 beat the new M3 !!!

... because the RS4 can seat 5 people and the M3 only 4 people. :)

And RS4 has 4 doors vs M3 with 2 doors:) .

BMW had laways been very good at their marketing startegies n positioning their products. Lets see what they can do this time vs their closest rival here. Topgear gave a good review on M3 though.

It's a test based on overall package each car has to give..
In the past, the S4 V8 was also slightly more favoured vs the E46M3 by Top Gear.

It's true that BMW manual gb is no match to audi's.
But taking the quote :

".......While it doesnt have the M3's edginess in the corners, and is no match for it on the track........."

It's good enough to know that the M3 still delivers its promises as a true driver's car, a sharper one like they said.

Having said that, I still think the 335i is the best value for money car one can buy
in its price category.

Ahbengdriver;225964 said:
... Topgear gave a good review on M3 though.

Dunno who tested it this time...but JC hated SMGII in E46M3 and they Phoenix Yellow color haha

TripleM;225974 said:
Having said that, I still think the 335i is the best value for money car one can buy in its price category.

You re absolutely right. People in the USA have dyno-ed a 335 with Procede V1.4 and got 390BHP and 570Nm. Damn that is enough to out accelerate any M3, Rs4, C63 AMG, Evo, STi and what have you...err...including your YAMTREE:)

^ Actually I think that's quite sweeping to say... just based on peak dyno numbers. Much better to compare the whole curve. :) Also, even after eliminating driver factors like launching and shifting, gearing and weight (p/w ratio) plays a big part too.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: It's quite shocking... the Autocar results, hhm. Maybe the balance has shifted?

If BMW really wants to make a `driver's car' for god's sakes keep it below 1.4 tons. It's now almost 1.7 tons with a CF roof, c'mon.

As BMW moves closer to `fast exec' territory it risks playing with RS4 and C63 and CLK63 and it faces a helluva lot more competition than it's position with the E46 M3, which was between AMG and 911C2.

Now that BMW's hold on the middle ground has been loosened, it needs to decide for the next generation, to go closer to 911 or AMG.

Both sides have godly cars now. Perhaps to still go between would be good, but more and more people would not like to go in-between in a time of economic boom. No more compromises, remember?

Ahbengdriver;226120 said:
You re absolutely right. People in the USA have dyno-ed a 335 with Procede V1.4 and got 390BHP and 570Nm. Damn that is enough to out accelerate any M3, Rs4, C63 AMG, Evo, STi and what have you...err...including your YAMTREE:)

Fiak..My procede in transit now in Hong Kong. Shld reach me by tomorrow night. :evil:

elmariachi;226145 said:
Fiak..My procede in transit now in Hong Kong. Shld reach me by tomorrow night. :evil:

I want to see your 335 when it is fully loaded. Damn farking itchy now.

Ahbengdriver;226154 said:
I want to see your 335 when it is fully loaded. Damn farking itchy now.

Gimme exactly 1 month. Doing up my front M aero and rear vorsteiner also. :)

caySman;226143 said:
If BMW really wants to make a `driver's car' for god's sakes keep it below 1.4 tons. It's now almost 1.7 tons with a CF roof, c'mon.

As BMW moves closer to `fast exec' territory it risks playing with RS4 and C63 and CLK63 and it faces a helluva lot more competition than it's position with the E46 M3, which was between AMG and 911C2.

Now that BMW's hold on the middle ground has been loosened, it needs to decide for the next generation, to go closer to 911 or AMG.

Both sides have godly cars now. Perhaps to still go between would be good, but more and more people would not like to go in-between in a time of economic boom. No more compromises, remember?

I was reading some M3 foreign forums. I think this time round my view is BMW may have made a mistake in positioning their new M3.
Personally I think they are bit hung up with the engine awards and wanted the new 4L V8 to win in that category, so purposedly making it 3999cc. And it will win I think. By doing that there is so much power u can extract from a 4L, which is less than or equal to all its closest rivals, RS4, C63 AMG, IS-F. Say what they like about using efficient dynamics as a new definition of cars in this class, brake regenration, blah blah blah. People want an iconic car of BMW to be king of the road, ie fast enough. And the truth is however well it drives, its not as fast as its competitors. It would have been different if the new V8 was 4.2L giving 450BHP.

And of cos the price of the new M3:screwedu: for what it can have.

i prefer the merc gullwing at the top right hand corner :yummie:

caySman;226143 said:

It's nice to hv a lighter high perf luxury car but dont forget...
M3's targets are and hv always been the Audi RS Division and Merc AMG Division so they are in the mid weight category, be it similar engine outpouts +/-, similar priing +/-. In fact, similar seating capacity too!

And the moment u take one of the cars outta the equation, the game is completely different. Eg. M3 CSL which can easily do sub 8 mins in the Nordschleife, a super car territory for that matter. And this didnt come w.o a price..... Less Is More and CSL was priced about sgd 80k above the regular M3.....taking the car to Porsche territory, threatening every bit of the 911 variants excluding the GT3 and Turbo.

So my argument is...
an M3's real nemesis are Audi RS and Merc AMG, nothing else...(Dont even start with those Evos n STi...they are different class altogether )
Anything else one of the makers say bout offering similar performance vs the Porsche, Maserati etc etc is nothing but just a bunch of marketing crap which ultimately still lure millions of buyers.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feinsteinzeug

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back