Replace rear brake pads

spitfire

Hi, does anyone know what is the typical mileage before brake pads need changing. My 535i has travelled 40k km and I have had to change twice the rear brake pads. PML Says normal. Cost me $450 including labour. Anyone with same experience or is there something wrong here. I do gentle braking. Thanks.

Re: Replace rear brake pads

spitfire;1083767 said:
Hi, does anyone know what is the typical mileage before brake pads need changing. My 535i has travelled 40k km and I have had to change twice the rear brake pads. PML Says normal. Cost me $450 including labour. Anyone with same experience or is there something wrong here. I do gentle braking. Thanks.

I change mine about once every 40k or so. Twice every 40k is not normal I think...

Google for this key word:

A U T O H O L D

No such thing as typical when it comes to brakes. Depends on many factors such as driving/braking habits, city/expressways, traffic.

Just to throw in more confusion, I'm at 36k km and my idrive indicates that I still have 50k km for the fronts and 33k km for the rear. Yes, original pads that came with the car (bought new).

douggie;1083964 said:
No such thing as typical when it comes to brakes. Depends on many factors such as driving/braking habits, city/expressways, traffic.

Just to throw in more confusion, I'm at 36k km and my idrive indicates that I still have 50k km for the fronts and 33k km for the rear. Yes, original pads that came with the car (bought new).

Thanks for your inputs. Yes, I am utterly confused and more when PML say its normal to change Brakepads every 20 to 25k km. Yes, I understand that many factor contribute to the wearing out of Brakepads. Looks like I need to check with BMW Asia.

spitfire;1084087 said:
Thanks for your inputs. Yes, I am utterly confused and more when PML say its normal to change Brakepads every 20 to 25k km. Yes, I understand that many factor contribute to the wearing out of Brakepads. Looks like I need to check with BMW Asia.
Rather than further confuse yourself and being confused by BMW Asia, google autohold. That's ur answer.

Past 45k and never change yet. Loads more to go...

mileage done 25k service required for front brakes in 10k and rear brakes in 5k

just had my rear brake pad replaced at 33k.
Not sure if it contributed to the wear but I use Autohold function all the time.

DXB358;1084112 said:
Not sure if it contributed to the wear but I use Autohold function all the time.

I don't use autohold much. I personally believe it does increase wear somewhat.

I use autohold quite often but dont think thats e main contributing factor.
im heavy footed. But ithink stock pads suck
barely 25k n its time to change.

currently on ebc redstuff.
quite good.
less dust n its already 10k into it n its far from the halfway mark

spitfire;1084087 said:

I don't use the autohold function much. So don't think its a contributing factor.

Or with brakes on.....

I'm about 40k and will be changing the rear for the first time. Use auto hold occasionally.

DXB358;1084112 said:
It is really strange, it should be front brakes wearing faster than rear brakes regardless of FWD, RWD or AWD... unless someone uses alot of handbraking for stopping or drifting. The basics of braking, footbrake = 4 active, handbrake = rearbrake active

My rear brakes still do not need replacement after 80k mileage. The OBC display has 2400km* to go, my new front brakes currently has about 25000km+ balance out of 45000km (when new).

* not the mileage travelled... lazy to explain again, explained before in some other post.

spitfire;1084087 said:

I am assuming they are just following by the book without checking the reading in the OBC reading (we can also check the brakepad visually). Well, maybe it is a case of high change turnover equates more profits. Just IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dun understand y my f30 rear wear off than front too. After my rear pad change. Reset at 35k km. Then after a big boss here loot my car. The reading didnt decrease. In fact it bcums 36k km. Then 37k km..... best is use ur own eyes to see. Use ur leg to feel. Fading juz change. Safety more impt

BMW system knows big bosses - only when big boss loot your car BMW make brake pads last longer ...... Haha !

Ah yang;1085439 said:
Dun understand y my f30 rear wear off than front too. After my rear pad change. Reset at 35k km. Then after a big boss here loot my car. The reading didnt decrease. In fact it bcums 36k km. Then 37k km..... best is use ur own eyes to see. Use ur leg to feel. Fading juz change. Safety more impt

Just changed at MA last Friday. My service alert light shows up telling me to change rear brake pad. I was then at around 49km.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789bet188site

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back