Overhaul Transmission - Sep 2006 E90 320 PFL

pengful

Guys, I have long held back the decision to overhaul the transmission or gearbox as some prefer to call it, but today I decided to bite the bullet and do it.

Throughout the last 24 months, I have tried everything to overcome the infamous "jerk-before-stopping", some of which were:
1) Reset adaptation by PML sometime mid-2010. No jerk was felt for a few months, then it came back.
2) Changed transmission fluid and oil pan when the "red gear" error popped up mid-2011. After that, it was ok for a few more months, and the same error came back. I spent close to $1k on this and guess it'll probably come to nought.

It has got to a point that there is no longer any joy in driving the ultimate driving machine when it jerks regularly even when I was driving. I felt something must be really bad with the transmission when it now throws 2 hard jerks when I come to a stop. The "red gear" error (code description is ratio-monitoring: 3, 4) appears more often and when it does, the car jerks and slows down. All you have to do is pull to the side, shut the engine and restart. Though I can probably continue to do this (and continue to let the transmission deteriorate further), I figure that if you need to go long distance like to Malaysia, you'll be screwed.

I have sent my ride into this transmission expert workshop (I am not saying which workshop at this point) this morning and was told that I can pick it up later this evening. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the car will drive as good as new for the next 4-5 years. What to do? I am not willing to cave in to ridiculously expensive replacements at the moment.

I think it is common knowledge that this transmission jerk problem affects most if not all E90, E60 and E65 rides. According to the boss, he has replaced many already. I take it that he knows what he is doing and wish me luck. :(

Re: Overhaul Transmission - Sep 2006 E90 320 PFL

pengful;782481 said:
Guys, I have long held back the decision to overhaul the transmission or gearbox as some prefer to call it, but today I decided to bite the bullet and do it.

Throughout the last 24 months, I have tried everything to overcome the infamous "jerk-before-stopping", some of which were:
1) Reset adaptation by PML sometime mid-2010. No jerk was felt for a few months, then it came back.
2) Changed transmission fluid and oil pan when the "red gear" error popped up mid-2011. After that, it was ok for a few more months, and the same error came back. I spent close to $1k on this and guess it'll probably come to nought.

It has got to a point that there is no longer any joy in driving the ultimate driving machine when it jerks regularly even when I was driving. I felt something must be really bad with the transmission when it now throws 2 hard jerks when I come to a stop. The "red gear" error (code description is ratio-monitoring: 3, 4) appears more often and when it does, the car jerks and slows down. All you have to do is pull to the side, shut the engine and restart. Though I can probably continue to do this (and continue to let the transmission deteriorate further), I figure that if you need to go long distance like to Malaysia, you'll be screwed.

I have sent my ride into this transmission expert workshop (I am not saying which workshop at this point) this morning and was told that I can pick it up later this evening. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the car will drive as good as new for the next 4-5 years. What to do? I am not willing to cave in to ridiculously expensive replacements at the moment.

I think it is common knowledge that this transmission jerk problem affects most if not all E90, E60 and E65 rides. According to the boss, he has replaced many already. I take it that he knows what he is doing and wish me luck. :(
Hi Bro,

Sorry to hear that, but wish u all the best. But amazed that it can be done so fast, 1 day job :)

Thought that it was 2-3days job...anyway wish you all the best.:thumbsup:

pengful;782481 said:

All the best to the repair ~~ as long as problem solve & after sales supported. Its a wu hua decision rather than stuck with the problem..

Do kindly share with us on this when all is done & zooming..

Cheers ~~ :)

importantly....wats the damage ??

sszone;782658 said:
not the khang transmission shop bah?? :p
but ok lah, unless u are one of those get got screwed by the twm saga

No, not Khang. Thought they folded?

So u got back your car already?

Pretty fast hand, fast leg the workshop I must say. Dropped off at around 11 am and picked up at 5.30 pm... half a day's work!

One thing that is obviously missing is the JERK! Car no longer jerks when coming to stops but because I have been feeling those jerks for so long, no jerks feel so unreal. The transmission runs smooth now, no intermittent breaks between gear changes and no ERROR CODES! Then again, I will continue to monitor for a few more weeks. It is like a huge stone taken off my shoulders as I had always feared that the transmission will kaput and leave you in the middle of the road when you least expects it. With the money spent, I will not look at the new 3 or 5 until the next few years (I hope) or until the COE comes down to a reasonable level, like $15K for Cat B. What goes up must come down, right?

Before I left the workship, I was shown the old innards of the transmission assembly; seals, clutch, solenoids, oil pan seperator panels, etc, which were either hardened or worn out. At least, all that were replaced with new ones. Warranty given was 6 months but they will extend another 6 months if you go back for an oil change before the 1st 6 months is up.

That's all folks. If you need the contact, pm me.

Hi Bro, can share this particular workshop, i n to pay them a visit too. tks

Bro, can share with me the workshop name and cost?

bro me too...please PM me the name of the workshop...

Oly

Hi bro,

Can u pm me the workshop, touch wood just in case.

I was quoted 3.8k by one of the sponsor here casually, which include changing the mechantronic / solenoid.

Mine was jerking before when coming to a stop, did ATF flush, reset tranny now seems to be stable. Noticed driving in DS mode much better but still prefer the relax pace in D.

pengful;782806 said:
Pretty fast hand, fast leg the workshop I must say. Dropped off at around 11 am and picked up at 5.30 pm... half a day's work!

One thing that is obviously missing is the JERK! Car no longer jerks when coming to stops but because I have been feeling those jerks for so long, no jerks feel so unreal. The transmission runs smooth now, no intermittent breaks between gear changes and no ERROR CODES! Then again, I will continue to monitor for a few more weeks. It is like a huge stone taken off my shoulders as I had always feared that the transmission will kaput and leave you in the middle of the road when you least expects it. With the money spent, I will not look at the new 3 or 5 until the next few years (I hope) or until the COE comes down to a reasonable level, like $15K for Cat B. What goes up must come down, right?

Before I left the workship, I was shown the old innards of the transmission assembly; seals, clutch, solenoids, oil pan seperator panels, etc, which were either hardened or worn out. At least, all that were replaced with new ones. Warranty given was 6 months but they will extend another 6 months if you go back for an oil change before the 1st 6 months is up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi TS,
Kindly PM me the details of the workshop ... I am driving a 07 E90 too..... Many Thks.

Glad to hear that all's well Derek. Hopefully, the problem doesn't re-surface again. Good luck! :)

pengful;782806 said:

Hi Bro Pengful,

Great news bro, and hope that u enjoy ur ride now.

pls help share the workshop details and also appreciate if u could PM me the cost for this....thanks again.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
i9bet41so

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back