Need help for f30 m performance brakes

Re: Need help for f30 m performance brakes

Red_Bean_Bun;1009101 said:
So switch to the performance brake profile when changing to a set of BBK ?

It should be better ba, but cannot say for sure. This type of stuff I really dun think we can really feel it... Maybe BMW calibrated their settings via skidpads and sensors up to the 0.01 G. How to feel sia... My butt cannot even feel 0.1 G I guess.

And I was just being anal about recoding. Dun recode wun die one. but if the avenue is there, and has been calibrated for, shld just go set it.

img76;1009042 said:
then where to do the coding cheap and good...pls advise a few option..thank a million..

Do your own self, cheap (free) and no fuss :)

Personally, I would just recode it provided the WS knows how to do it.

Seraphblade;1009106 said:
It should be better ba, but cannot say for sure. This type of stuff I really dun think we can really feel it... Maybe BMW calibrated their settings via skidpads and sensors up to the 0.01 G. How to feel sia... My butt cannot even feel 0.1 G I guess.

And I was just being anal about recoding. Dun recode wun die one. but if the avenue is there, and has been calibrated for, shld just go set it.

If I think DSC, I think skid... DSC is merely applying brakes on different wheel to maintain control, yes? So the DSC reprogramming (by guessing) is more likely just to tell the car the brakes are better (especially so for the non-335, coz of the 4 pot caliper), so when compensating during DSC, adjust accordingly. I no engineer, I merely GUESS.

But there are people that says after coding the brake pedal feel is better, but HEARSAY onlie

let me quote a famous quote
if m perf brake need coding ... "SO BE IT"
downtime 1 day ... get over it :D

E46 da best before Skynet became self-aware.

Hi, new to this forum but would like to put in some of my thoughts on this issue.

ABS/DSC works by controlling the valves within the ABS hydraulic modules to vary the brake pressure to each corner to achieve the controls BMW had intended for. Each different brake caliper coupled with their respective pads has its own take up distance(The distance the piston has to travel in order to compress the pads onto the rotor. Might not be the correct term as I cannot remember it from 4 years ago) and piston diameter which translate to the fluid volume required for brakes 'on' or 'off'.

Now, some would think this can be easily calculated by the piston diameter and measuring the brake pad take up distance, but that is a simple static problem and ABS manufacturers like Bosch are more interested in the dynamic problem where the brake torque buildup vs fluid pressure vs fluid volume which is a 3D map. ABS/DSC programmer then have to use these data and program the ABS/DSC program accordingly. Without extensive benchtest with the proposed BBK, it would not be possible to attain all these data for BMW to reprogram the ABS/DSC.

Now kits provided by M Performance have the luxury of factory support for these bench tests so reprogramming is specified for changes to M Performance kits. Aftermarket kits do not have this arrangement with the manufacturers (aside from some specific kits that big name brake manufacturers develop with the manufacturers) and there is no way to reprogram the ABS/DSC for them.

That said, brakes are brakes and the physics behind them are the same apart from the complexity with the DSC/ABS. Aftermarket BBK will work better as long as the ABS/DSC are not activated. Even if they are activated, they will just simply not work at the optimum but still work as intended.

PS: The information for the ABS/DSC compatibility is based on my work discussion with Bosch Germany 4 years ago so memories are vague at most now.

So now if u change to a m performance bbk do u need to recode. Will there b an error code n will the brakes still work properly

Thanks

I do not own a F30 nor am I familiar with the BMW software system. I am very familiar with AP Racing kits. But I would be very certain that any BBK will work properly and the only error code (if present) would be the brake pad replacement warning due to the absence of pad wear sensor in the aftermarket pads. You will lose the brake pad replacement warning signal which is a rough estimation at best. There is also not a need to recode after installation of ANY brake kit but you do have the option to recode for M Performance kit due to the reason I have explained above.

if ok to spend the extra money then go recode it. if not then treat it like other top bbk which cant be recoded.:|

zhelinm;1035558 said:
Hi, new to this forum but would like to put in some of my thoughts on this issue.

ABS/DSC works by controlling the valves within the ABS hydraulic modules to vary the brake pressure to each corner to achieve the controls BMW had intended for. Each different brake caliper coupled with their respective pads has its own take up distance(The distance the piston has to travel in order to compress the pads onto the rotor. Might not be the correct term as I cannot remember it from 4 years ago) and piston diameter which translate to the fluid volume required for brakes 'on' or 'off'.

Now, some would think this can be easily calculated by the piston diameter and measuring the brake pad take up distance, but that is a simple static problem and ABS manufacturers like Bosch are more interested in the dynamic problem where the brake torque buildup vs fluid pressure vs fluid volume which is a 3D map. ABS/DSC programmer then have to use these data and program the ABS/DSC program accordingly. Without extensive benchtest with the proposed BBK, it would not be possible to attain all these data for BMW to reprogram the ABS/DSC.

Now kits provided by M Performance have the luxury of factory support for these bench tests so reprogramming is specified for changes to M Performance kits. Aftermarket kits do not have this arrangement with the manufacturers (aside from some specific kits that big name brake manufacturers develop with the manufacturers) and there is no way to reprogram the ABS/DSC for them.

That said, brakes are brakes and the physics behind them are the same apart from the complexity with the DSC/ABS. Aftermarket BBK will work better as long as the ABS/DSC are not activated. Even if they are activated, they will just simply not work at the optimum but still work as intended.

PS: The information for the ABS/DSC compatibility is based on my work discussion with Bosch Germany 4 years ago so memories are vague at most now.

I do not own a F30 nor am I familiar with the BMW software system. I am very familiar with AP Racing kits. But I would be very certain that any BBK will work properly and the only error code (if present) would be the brake pad replacement warning due to the absence of pad wear sensor in the aftermarket pads. You will lose the brake pad replacement warning signal which is a rough estimation at best. There is also not a need to recode after installation of ANY brake kit but you do have the option to recode for M Performance kit due to the reason I have explained above.

Somehow this was what I was trying to explain, but some ppl just dun get it.... /shrug Maybe my engrish ish bad

Last edited by a moderator:

Just a curious question, is this 'coding' just a change of a parameter in the software? I am familiar with the VAG system where I can log into the system and change parameter as I like. I can activate the sports mode for an Audi A4 where that particular model is not equipped with the sports mode button at the gearshift panel, so its a easy way to get more performance out of a lower model where the performance mode is just a click away hidden out of sight by the manufacturer.

For example, there is a normal mode and sports mode in the Audi software where I just simply log in and change the parameter from (1-normal) to (2-sports) and instantly I have better throttle response and heavier steering, aka sports mode for Audi A4. So if the BMW works the same, just go get the relevant hardware kit to connect to the vehicle via the OBD port and I am pretty sure you can 'recode' it yourself. For Audi, VW and Seat, we can easily get the VCDS software to do this. Am sure someone would know where to get something similar for BMW?

zhelinm;1035911 said:
Just a curious question, is this 'coding' just a change of a parameter in the software? I am familiar with the VAG system where I can log into the system and change parameter as I like. I can activate the sports mode for an Audi A4 where that particular model is not equipped with the sports mode button at the gearshift panel, so its a easy way to get more performance out of a lower model where the performance mode is just a click away hidden out of sight by the manufacturer.

For example, there is a normal mode and sports mode in the Audi software where I just simply log in and change the parameter from (1-normal) to (2-sports) and instantly I have better throttle response and heavier steering, aka sports mode for Audi A4. So if the BMW works the same, just go get the relevant hardware kit to connect to the vehicle via the OBD port and I am pretty sure you can 'recode' it yourself. For Audi, VW and Seat, we can easily get the VCDS software to do this. Am sure someone would know where to get something similar for BMW?

Yes, it is just changing the parameter... There is already 2 setting that can be chosen...

Seraphblade;1035942 said:
Yes, it is just changing the parameter... There is already 2 setting that can be chosen...

Not sure why my replies keep getting put on hold. Anyway, it seems that BMW owners can easily change their parameters with the kit from bavariantechnic (google for it. think I am not allowed to post links).

Just came back from servicing in PML... The SA tell me my M performance BBK no need to recode. Now I'm confused.. :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:

Remembered reading in instruction that coding is required for Performace brakes though. Hope your SA is right...

Ok situation is like this . Actually for normal driving coding is not require the abs recode or rather " telling the car that its ok performance bbl " works when u r tracking and doing hard hard braking . *from rodney r2d* . Btw just for info . Pml cannot settle any m performance bbk spongy problem . If after several bleeding u still feel soft n spongy , visit r2d or maybe ask ur mechanic to bleed ur abs pump . As for me my abs pump had air that's why spongy . Sorry didn't read what is happening here but just to share my experiences on the m brakes . And after that it work superb ! Good ! Or rather very good .

Any qns can pm me :)

Hi guys I am on tis brakes for about amonth without coding and I feel Tt the brakes are working as it should be. I got two cars n the bite fr the m brakes are working better than my VW. Just for the info. Was afriad at first but now I am happy with its looks n performance. Btw mine was installed at tis shop nxt to mcwell ubi
Call 93 nice ppl n great deal.

adrianeo0747;1053295 said:
Hi guys I am on tis brakes for about amonth without coding and I feel Tt the brakes are working as it should be. I got two cars n the bite fr the m brakes are working better than my VW. Just for the info. Was afriad at first but now I am happy with its looks n performance. Btw mine was installed at tis shop nxt to mcwell ubi

Call 93 nice ppl n great deal.

I think they got code for u . I got mine from them. Do u have the spongy feeling or sinking feel ? As they cannot fit mine properly just got mine from them like 3 weeks ago too . So better check check . The brakes must not be low . Must be high or maybe responsive, better then stock .

Cheers,

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
betonstein1

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back