I think gold Mobil 1 is still the best engine oil

Re: I think gold Mobil 1 is still the best engine oil

Personally, I still prefer Mobil 1 0w40 for my ride.

Hello.. my service light for oil change just flashed today. I typically service at PML or Munich but I find their servicing fees quite exorbitant. For example, last time my service light flashed and I went to one of them for a check up, I was told that it was just a routine check and nothing needs to change and I paid like S$100+ to be told that.

Do I need to go back to PML/Munich for engine oil change or simply any workshop will do?

I've tested Motul on my previous ride, I would think that is the best, even according to used oil analysis from lab tests...

If u compare the UOA results of the different oils from the results @ blackstone labs, that would be the most scientific proof of which oil is the best...

However, not sure if their oil is recommended for BMW...

Pauly523;944726 said:
Hello.. my service light for oil change just flashed today. I typically service at PML or Munich but I find their servicing fees quite exorbitant. For example, last time my service light flashed and I went to one of them for a check up, I was told that it was just a routine check and nothing needs to change and I paid like S$100+ to be told that.

Do I need to go back to PML/Munich for engine oil change or simply any workshop will do?

Just did my at Maximus Racing located at Toh Guan Road East, also one of this website sponsor.
Good service and reasonable price.
They do Maserati and Lambo as well.
Those working or staying on the west can consider.

Seraphblade;944731 said:
I've tested Motul on my previous ride, I would think that is the best, even according to used oil analysis from lab tests...

If u compare the UOA results of the different oils from the results @ blackstone labs, that would be the most scientific proof of which oil is the best...

However, not sure if their oil is recommended for BMW...
For 0-40, no issue lah.

For 5-30 (NOT 0-30), as long as HTHS > 3.5, it would likely meet LL-01FE/LL-04 standard.

Thanks... I stay near there and will probably pay a visit. How much did they charge you?

Amsoil 5W40 is LL-04

steam

What about the cst ?

davidtch;944736 said:
For 0-40, no issue lah.

For 5-30 (NOT 0-30), as long as HTHS > 3.5, it would likely meet LL-01FE/LL-04 standard.

Red_Bean_Bun;944816 said:
What about the cst ?
What do u mean by CST?

davidtch;944818 said:
What do u mean by CST?

Should be CoST, I think

I wonder why many people are hesitant to post prices of the jobs done or accessories purchased? Is it against the forum rules to post prices of non-site sponsors services or even services charged by site sponsors?

I believe many of us are making decisions roughly based on what fellow forummers have experienced before going down to the workshop (at least I do). Personally if i go down to a certain workshop, then the owner quote a price, I sorta feel obliged to let them do it cause I do not want to spend another day of leave to bring to another workshop.

Market bad, so must seek out those ai qi ai pi, ai tua liap nee.....

Lorinser;944692 said:
Wonder why there are everywhere and represented in many workshops.
Must be very good marketing.

depends on the margin and also sometimes the sponsoring of signboards, fixtures etc

Yup agree... But I think this is pervaded by some site sponsors themselves? They should just put the prices instead of asking people to PM. They can always put in RRP as a guide if they offer additional discounts for people who do more or buy more with them. I have PM'd some before because they ask to. For some, the prices were not something I was prepared to pay so I didn't pursue further. I'm sure there are others who are the same, so rather than waste time and bandwidth replying to same PMs themselves, they could save some trouble by posting the RRP.

Citizen69;944843 said:
Should be CoST, I think

I wonder why many people are hesitant to post prices of the jobs done or accessories purchased? Is it against the forum rules to post prices of non-site sponsors services or even services charged by site sponsors?

I believe many of us are making decisions roughly based on what fellow forummers have experienced before going down to the workshop (at least I do). Personally if i go down to a certain workshop, then the owner quote a price, I sorta feel obliged to let them do it cause I do not want to spend another day of leave to bring to another workshop.

Citizen69;944843 said:
Should be CoST, I think

Not necessary. Cst could be centistokes.

Choosing a workshop is just like buying tyre is just like buying your underwear. U have to try it out before you know whether it suits you or not. As mentioned before, jobs/accessories is quite commoditized to the extent that 1 ws could undercut the other by $10 - $20. Some ppl shift because of the price diff.

It is no harm to call up ws to check prices before going down.

Feel like ranting .......

There's a couple things that I think about when it comes to oils -

cst@100 - bmw engines likes it at 12.2. More than that its more viscous like as in heavy e.g. Mobil 0w40 is 13.5. When its more viscous it makes it quieter but hurts fuel economy. More viscous means it deals with heat better. Less than that its light. Good for fuel economy but when it gets hot, protection becomes an issue. But being light, It also means a slightly better engine response. Over time oil gets thinner ..... I don't go with the weights on the label on the bottle, I look at the cst since the 5w30 weight ranges from 9.5 to 12.5. I am inclined to go slightly heavier 13.5 for turbo engines.

HTHS - if its acea b3 certified etc, then it's above 3.5. And 3.5 is the benchmark. I get the higher number if given a choice. Low number means it won't last as long. So if you high rev quite a bit this is important.

LL01 and LL04 - typically LL01 is for high sulphur fuel. LL04 is for low sulphur fuel. Singapore does not publish the sulphur levels in our fuels. Wrong combination results in a rough engine. So I stick with LL01

Base oil - group 3 oil is not 100% synthetic. Group 4 is PAO all synthetic. Group 4 lubricates better stays better on the cylinder walls etc. But some argues that hydro cracked G3 seemed to be as good - depends on the quality of the purification process.
i just go for G4 and be done with that. E.g Mobil 0w40 has a G3 base oil while castrol edge is G4 which is truly synthetic.

davidtch;944818 said:
What do u mean by CST?

Last edited by a moderator:

Very informative indeed.
I think there is no end comparing oils.
All boils down to butt feel, especially for normal driving for normal driver like me... with occasional high rev.
High or best specs doesn't necessary mean suitable for everybody... to each his own butt and budget.
Right now my comforted butt says gold Mobil 1 0w40... over OWS and Liquid Moly.

Lorinser;944671 said:
I think OWS is making good money in Singapore.
Recently at a workshop saw a young sales guy from OWS driving Audi A7.
Did u ask him what oil he use on his Audi?..... He may say (by accident), using ABCDF brand but not OWS, LMFAO!

Baby1M;944879 said:
Did u ask him what oil he use on his Audi?..... He may say (by accident), using ABCDF brand but not OWS, LMFAO!

No I did not... but I think you are probably right :thumbsup:

Red_Bean_Bun;944864 said:
LL01 and LL04 - typically LL01 is for high sulphur fuel. LL04 is for low sulphur fuel. Singapore does not publish the sulphur levels in our fuels. Wrong combination results in a rough engine. So I stick with LL01

SG is high sulphur fuel, but plans are underway to lower this in the next couple of years. i forget the details, but should be moving to Euro standards, iirc.

LL04 should be fine for those who do short oil intervals. The fanatics that change every 6k are quite safe with LL04. you shouldn't be running the TBN too low with those intervals.

That said, i personally stick to LL01 too.

with regards to viscocity, i read that mobil 1 oil tends to thin out as you run it in your car, while castrol thickens. and some reason that's why these 40 and 30 oils are both BMW approved cos they meet in the middle eventually.

Yup heard about that as well ..... would stick to LL01 in the meantime. If castrol thickens then this explains why there are feedback that for turbo cars it seem to manage heat well.....

motorknut;944923 said:
SG is high sulphur fuel, but plans are underway to lower this in the next couple of years. i forget the details, but should be moving to Euro standards, iirc.

LL04 should be fine for those who do short oil intervals. The fanatics that change every 6k are quite safe with LL04. you shouldn't be running the TBN too low with those intervals.

That said, i personally stick to LL01 too.

with regards to viscocity, i read that mobil 1 oil tends to thin out as you run it in your car, while castrol thickens. and some reason that's why these 40 and 30 oils are both BMW approved cos they meet in the middle eventually.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789bet188site

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back