HELP : BMW Garmin Nuvi 710 (E90)

beemer75

Hi

totally a noob.

Can the GPS unit be charged using the USB charging cable CONNECTED to
Iphone power adaptor (instead of connecting to computer)?

If I want to use the GPS on another car (which doesnt come with the BM mounting cradle), just need to connect the usb cable to ANY commercial cigerette adaptor plugged into the cigerette power outlet rite?

Finally anyone has "free" Aussie Maps?

Many tks for the help.

Re: HELP : BMW Garmin Nuvi 710 (E90)

i use iphone (jailbreak) with tomtom (free apps since jalbreak) for my drive in usa and aus .... tomtom is very accurate and easy to use :thumbsup:

wt_know;716739 said:
i use iphone (jailbreak) with tomtom (free apps since jalbreak) for my drive in usa and aus .... tomtom is very accurate and easy to use :thumbsup:

Need to hook up to any wifi or ISP?

nope ... just turn on location services. just to be safe i also turn off data network :D
if use isp or assisted gps (data network) -> i pok kai liao la for 2 weeks drive
it uses the built in compass to determine position

6888;716794 said:
Need to hook up to any wifi or ISP?

wt_know;716801 said:
nope ... just turn on location services. just to be safe i also turn off data network :D
if use isp or assisted gps (data network) -> i pok kai liao la for 2 weeks drive
it uses the built in compass to determine position

Exactly! Thot u super rich!
Mine is not JB and wondering if can use the Map to navigate. Will try out later. Thks!

Does it hv voice assistance?

Speaking of the BM Garmin 710, I cant seem to charge it fully via USB-> computer.
I will show full or 3/4 power bar then within a min, totally "drained".

Anywone has the same problem?

tomtom sure can
the default google map cannot, it requires constant internet access to download and render the map

6888;716803 said:
Exactly! Thot u super rich!
Mine is not JB and wondering if can use the Map to navigate. Will try out later. Thks!

beemer75;716805 said:
Does it hv voice assistance?

Speaking of the BM Garmin 710, I cant seem to charge it fully via USB-> computer.
I will show full or 3/4 power bar then within a min, totally "drained".

Anywone has the same problem?

Sorry bro for OT earlier.
I had the same problem with mine before - think the batt is gone hence need to be constantly charged by connection.
Havent tried if can charged using cigarette lighter USB though...

basket ball - gone case battery.
Warranty is as per car rite - 3 years?

I hardly use the GPS in Spore. Had the problem since collection of car but i didnt follow up as it is working as long it seats on the cradle.

Our Bimmer Garmin GPS is a crap piece of crap imo......i jus got myself a 5' Holux GPS 62F with Live Traffic Feed (now having promo at all SPC for $189 nett. Usual price from Eastgear is $268 !!) and its user interface is soooooooooooooooo much better than Garmin....

Garmin always takes me to all those minor roads (and yes, Ive gone thru all those necessry settings but to no avail).....crap :biggun:

Sorry for the OT.....

Last edited by a moderator:

beemer75;716727 said:
Hi

totally a noob.

Can the GPS unit be charged using the USB charging cable CONNECTED to
Iphone power adaptor (instead of connecting to computer)?

If I want to use the GPS on another car (which doesnt come with the BM mounting cradle), just need to connect the usb cable to ANY commercial cigerette adaptor plugged into the cigerette power outlet rite?

Finally anyone has "free" Aussie Maps?

Many tks for the help.

Hello,

yes to both your questions.

If your gps has problem charging, the usb port is probably faulty. replace it then if its under PML warranty!

tks bro.

I wld hv tot the problem lies with the battery since the USB cable is able to power up the GPS, only that it couldnt charge it so that the GPS can be used on its own unconnected/un-cradled.

beemer75;717384 said:
tks bro.

I wld hv tot the problem lies with the battery since the USB cable is able to power up the GPS, only that it couldnt charge it so that the GPS can be used on its own unconnected/un-cradled.

yea replacing would be FOC if its under warranty. BUT... u gotta leave your car in PML for a day.. that was what I did when I replaced mine.. they told me they have to calibrate the GPS.. :silenced:

Got hold of a cigarette adaptor. The BMW garmin doesn't run. The screen shows the connected to computer icon; similar to when u plug the garmin to a computer and when I connected to the iPhone charging adaptor. So while it appears to be charging (though as I mentioned my unit doesn't seem to get charged unless docked with the in car adaptor),it just doesn't navigate ie can't access maps

dantito;717382 said:
Hello,

yes to both your questions.

If your gps has problem charging, the usb port is probably faulty. replace it then if its under PML warranty!

Beemer75, have u resolved your issue? Recently it happen to my GPS as well. I lend my GPS to my friend to be use on his car cigarette adaptor but it just show up a computer icon and cant access maps, cant even off the GPS.

now i dont know shd i bring back to PML or Garmin.....sigh

coolman;745783 said:
Beemer75, have u resolved your issue? Recently it happen to my GPS as well. I lend my GPS to my friend to be use on his car cigarette adaptor but it just show up a computer icon and cant access maps, cant even off the GPS.

now i dont know shd i bring back to PML or Garmin.....sigh

don't bother trying garmin.. i tried before.. they told me to go back to BMW.. when u see the computer icon right.. just unplug the usb and plug in again immediately when the gps resets itself. you shld be able to use the gps le..

dantito;745803 said:
don't bother trying garmin.. i tried before.. they told me to go back to BMW.. when u see the computer icon right.. just unplug the usb and plug in again immediately when the gps resets itself. you shld be able to use the gps le..

Bro tnks for reply. When down PML yesterday and accordingly to them it shd be that i didnt use the original Garmin car charger and thus causing the problem. Bo bian have to buy 1 cable and try it tomorrow......

Tried with an original Garmin cable and everything works out well

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi, Can anyone advise me where can I change the adapter (charger) mounted on the dash board for Garmin GPS. My new garmin uses different adaptor. Thanks.

2009acoustic;768096 said:
Hi, Can anyone advise me where can I change the adapter (charger) mounted on the dash board for Garmin GPS. My new garmin uses different adaptor. Thanks.

This is interesting to have an answer. i would also like to change my current set of garmin to other models..

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
betonstein1

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back