E90 engine oil leak experience

Re: E90 engine oil leak experience

Just got quotation for oil leak problem for my E90, he say RM600 guarantee ok.... dunno should i give a try

Hi Folks,

anyone did a engine overhaul here for e90?

i have received and understand the quote is ard 5k by a very reputable sponsored workshop here.

i will share why i am so extreme - after going through the same process and reading every bro having the same issue (i.e. changing some parts in view that their problem is solved once and for all, only for another problem to crop up in 1 month time. worst still, paid 2k for some repairs only to realize the problem is not fixed and the workshop tells you it must be some other fault...... duh....)

i am thinking of an overhaul simply because i am promised with the money paid, i will be getting a "new" engine with no problems (caveat - must go for regular servicing)

i am seriously considering JB workshop, but feels more protected in SG by the lemon law.

bottom line is, i bought a beemer to enjoy the ultimate driving machine but i am facing every other day a ultimate crippled machine. I love driving it daily afte being on Jap cars for the last years but the heart wrench that it is causing when problems starts surfacing one after another, makes the experience unworthy. I love to know more about my beloved e90 and e60 but my boss loves for me to be in office more often....not forgetting the missus who would rather i save up the money for some better uses. Taking money aside, its the trouble of taking time to send it down to workshop, going through the cognitive and emotional stress of mechanics telling you this and that problem, notwithstanding your missus nagging at you to go back to a jap ride, i thought a engine overhaul makes sense.

to be honest, i also baulked at the cost of $5k for a engine overhaul but more than one pax told me this, in hokkien "ai hiong xiu, tio ai jiap xiu".

I may just succumb and do a overhaul. i really rather drive the ride out for a meal or do other stuff than to take leave and hang around workshop week in week out. Just sharing my thoughts. no flaming pls but more of, if any bros here did a engine overhaul (understand from the workshop up to 6 bros did with him liao), i hope to hear of his experience and the ride now

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

by the way folks, my ride is 1.5 months "new". got it from a dealer, went through juzz cars 101 pt check, passed but still this shit surfaces. before possible engine overhaul, i have already paid more than $3k in repairs over the last 6 weeks.

for fun facts, i am opening up a case with CASE under lemon law to get some Restitutions from the car dealer. texted the dealer and asked him to revert and the fellow totally ignored me. but watch this space, i will get back my dues. :)

Engine condition can only be ascertained by compression check, the basic 101 pt check will not catch it unless your engine coughing white smoke or behaves erratically. E90 is high maintenance as the engine is quite sensitive.

Check out the common leaks w E90 here:

Smoking, Oil Consumption and Oil leaks – Tune-Tech

Let us know if you manage to get recourse from the dealer

keithloke;898232 said:
by the way folks, my ride is 1.5 months "new". got it from a dealer, went through juzz cars 101 pt check, passed but still this shit surfaces. before possible engine overhaul, i have already paid more than $3k in repairs over the last 6 weeks.

for fun facts, i am opening up a case with CASE under lemon law to get some Restitutions from the car dealer. texted the dealer and asked him to revert and the fellow totally ignored me. but watch this space, i will get back my dues. :)

Engine condition can only be ascertained by compression check, the basic 101 pt check will not catch it unless your engine coughing white smoke or behaves erratically. E90 is high maintenance as the engine is quite sensitive.

keithloke;898232 said:

canuck78;898397 said:

heartening to know i am not alone in this bro. agree the basic 101 check wouldn't suffice, which reinforces my pt of waving the dealer away when he produced a grade B evaluation from STA. if juzz car cant even give us a piece of mind, i dont think anyone can. its probably heng suey when we buy 2nd hand.

for mine, no signs of white smoke or anything from the exhaust. checked oil seperator, working fine. std signs of leaks ard gasket and seal so might just rectify that and observe. but only overt sign is ride just drinking engine oil. could live with topping up 1L every 1.5 weeks but i reckon its not worth the stress of not knowing when the ultimate driving machine will stop being ultimate one day.

BMW must try to buy brand new next time, or at least with warranty, then it can be ultimate driving machine.

Otherwise, can expect a bomb for repairs lol!

BMW official stand is 1L per 1000 km is still within BMW standard, which is very high tolerance btw.

keithloke;898681 said:
heartening to know i am not alone in this bro. agree the basic 101 check wouldn't suffice, which reinforces my pt of waving the dealer away when he produced a grade B evaluation from STA. if juzz car cant even give us a piece of mind, i dont think anyone can. its probably heng suey when we buy 2nd hand.

for mine, no signs of white smoke or anything from the exhaust. checked oil seperator, working fine. std signs of leaks ard gasket and seal so might just rectify that and observe. but only overt sign is ride just drinking engine oil. could live with topping up 1L every 1.5 weeks but i reckon its not worth the stress of not knowing when the ultimate driving machine will stop being ultimate one day.

lkm;710968 said:
Where is this B2 trading? Got address to share? Thanks! :goodup:

Can I have the workshop address and which mechanic i should look for? Thanks!!

nisiel;894847 said:
Hi bros,

Can PM me address and contacts for Francis's workshop and 1KM's recommended workshop?

Thanks.

Can I have the address too? Thanks..!!

canuck78;898971 said:
BMW must try to buy brand new next time, or at least with warranty, then it can be ultimate driving machine.

Otherwise, can expect a bomb for repairs lol!

BMW official stand is 1L per 1000 km is still within BMW standard, which is very high tolerance btw.

managed to solve my problem! (for now) keeping close observation. Cost incurred =1/3 of the cost of overhauling my engine. fingers crossed. :)

What did you do?

keithloke;902447 said:
managed to solve my problem! (for now) keeping close observation. Cost incurred =1/3 of the cost of overhauling my engine. fingers crossed. :)

I guess it mainly depends on which part is leaking lor.... Hahaha...Hoses are cheap - both parts and labour.... The radiator is a lot more expensive to replace - especially cost of parts..

wrx2.0;903376 said:
Hi bros & sis,

Any idea what is the cost to repair cooant leak?

Usually is raditor right? I am topping up almost 1L of water every 2 days.

Any idea how much will Francis be quoting for the repair?

lkm;903378 said:
I guess it mainly depends on which part is leaking lor.... Hahaha...Hoses are cheap - both parts and labour.... The radiator is a lot more expensive to replace - especially cost of parts..

I had a similar problem on my 2005 e90 - oil leak in engine bay.

Mileage approx. 65k. Sent to MA, and they quoted about $1.5k to replace Vacuum pump, valve cover gasket.

I brought the car to Francis for diagnosis;
- Replaced 2 O-rings at vacuum pump
IMG_1399_zps650590f1.jpg

IMG_1301_zps3f9adf22.jpg

- Replace 1“flange” inside the valve cover.
IMG_1303_zpsba90594f.jpg

IMG_1307_zps64a4ebf1.jpg

-Replace Rear Rotor + Brake Pad + Sensor (Parts I bought in from Eng Soon)
IMG_1302_zpsb353180c.jpg

Engine bay was washed for oil stains after repair.

Total repair cost RM295

Car was send in around 12pm and collected at 2.30pm. Francis sends me to Tebrau to shop while waiting for the repair.

Comments
Francis is a very friendly and helpful guy. Overall good experience with the workshop.

Hi Viperjet,

Kindly share the location & contact for the Francis you mentioned....
Do you go get him diagnos & advice on all issues & parts needed 1st so as you purchased everything from Eng Soon & he only charge you the labour? Or does he provide parts there too..?
Looking forward on your kind advice....
Thanks.

Don't think it's the radiator.

Culprit should be a cracked expansion tank, which is cheaper than the radiator, but takes about the same amount of time to replace.

get it checked soon before the crack gets larger.

wrx2.0;903380 said:
Usually is raditor right? I am topping up almost 1L of water every 2 days.

Any idea how much will Francis be quoting for the repair?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789bet188vip

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back