E90 engine oil leak experience

Re: E90 engine oil leak experience

I think from now onwards, I should explore JB..... By the way, do they do tuning at JB?

Bro wprom,
Please do share the location and address of this workshop....PM me if you do not feel comfortable to put on forum...but I'd opin that you should, its a forum to share anyway....
if our Sin workshops are not ready to be professional and do the right thing then its their loss that word gets around and we rather travel up north and get the professional service that we need...Hey, I am all ready to support the local workshops here in Sin, but to be taken for carrot as well as "change all you can" approach...its just plain silly...
wprom;889355 said:
I would like to share my oil leak experience on my E90 here too.

After a main service by the authorised agent, I was told that there is an evidence of engine oil leak. They estimated around 2k SGD to fix. I thought it was expensive and I should get a second opinion. So I went to a sponsored workshop and got the work done for around 1.5k. But they said there is a little bit of leak from the gearbox as well. The whole cooling system also needs replacing. It would cost me a further 2.5k to fix. I was at this point very frustrated. Decided not to have the work done and monitor for a week. Noticed some coolant leaking and went to a recommended workshop from another site. This time, they think there is an internal leaking and want to take the top part of engine apart to fix. That would cost 2k+ and also oil leak from the gearbox. I was not convinced so I checked out some reviews about workshops in JB.

Thanks to this forum, I went to find Two-B in JB. Mr Koh could tell very quickly that the problem with the cooling system is due to high running temperature. This is most likely caused by a faulty thermostat (and he was right). He fixed my gearbox leak too. All for less than 200 SGD.

I am not sure if 'the changing of all the parts even though they are not broken' policy leads to the lack of expertise in servicing the cars properly. I understand that SG workshop has higher cost but I don't feel they can diagnose the problem properly. This is what I find most frustrating. From now on, I will make an hour journey to JB to service my E90.

Guys, let's all be fair.

So far, all the anecdotal evidence have been comparing costs and not efficacy of the diagnoses.

E.g. Workshop A proposed changing X, Y, and Z. Workshop B proposed only changing X. Therefore, Workshop B is the better one since it costs less money and they not try to rip me off.

If you go to the doctor for flu, and he prescribes treatment and medication for piles (which you obviously do not have), he is a quack trying to rip you off.

However if he advises you to go for an x-ray since he suspects you might have other more serious problems with your throat and lungs, he might be saving your life, and save you from spending more money later.

Most of the posts here have been:- doc prescribed me some antihistamines which stopped the cough.. But I don't know whether it might be the symptoms of something more serious like throat or lung cancer.

How to differentiate between a quack and a real doctor? Experience and rudimentary knowledge about how your car works.

A reliable workshop and people who are passionate will help too...

Bro papbear77, you should find the details of the workshop if you google 'Two-B motor trading johor'.

Just to add, my cooling system was fine. There was no leaking into the engine compartment either. The two SG workshops I went to did have some good recommendations and reviews. I am not saying they tried to rip me off but their diagnostic ability is very questionable. If I went ahead with the second workshop to get what he thought was internal leaking fixed, I would have wasted 2k+ without getting anything fixed as the problem was not there.

All car parts are subjected to wear and tear. Of course, they won't be in the same condition as when they are new. However, if they are functioning, you can always change it later when it is not functioning any more. If it is functioning, your car won't get further damage. As soon as you notice something wrong, get it fix asap to prevent further damage.

On the other hand, a faulty thermostat will keep the car running with much higher temperature which will get various parts of your car damaged further. Especially on a newer model like E90, there is no visible temperature gauge. In the older models, you can see the temperature guage on the high side even though it is not hitting the red zone (where the warning is given in the E90). There is a secret menu to display cooling system temperature. I find this very useful as this could have given me an early warning. You can find a video of this secret menu in Youtube by searching 'How to check Engine Temperature in BMW'. It might show other models but the concept is the same. As mentioned in the youtube video, you are at your own risk in using the secret menu. If you set anything by mistake, you may have to take your car back to the workshop. So it is best to use only the page where you can find the cooling system temperature.

Problem is here in SG, the workshop makes most of their money from marking up parts.

Hence, the more parts you change the more money they make off you.

Having some idea how your car works, what may need servicing, what are the potential problem areas etc like jinooi says will surely helps, else workshop will try to chop you.

Also finding a workshop that is willing to listen, spends time diagnosing, bringing you on test drive, care to explain to you the options open, and also willing to allow you to bring your own parts is what I qualify for a worthy workshop.

I only know one here in SG and another in JB that fits the above after going through quite a few workshops. I guess I found the right doc for my car and will only stick to this two from now to work on my car.

It's a journey like mot of the bro here says BMW that is haha

jinooi;889451 said:
Guys, let's all be fair.

So far, all the anecdotal evidence have been comparing costs and not efficacy of the diagnoses.

E.g. Workshop A proposed changing X, Y, and Z. Workshop B proposed only changing X. Therefore, Workshop B is the better one since it costs less money and they not try to rip me off.

If you go to the doctor for flu, and he prescribes treatment and medication for piles (which you obviously do not have), he is a quack trying to rip you off.

However if he advises you to go for an x-ray since he suspects you might have other more serious problems with your throat and lungs, he might be saving your life, and save you from spending more money later.

Most of the posts here have been:- doc prescribed me some antihistamines which stopped the cough.. But I don't know whether it might be the symptoms of something more serious like throat or lung cancer.

How to differentiate between a quack and a real doctor? Experience and rudimentary knowledge about how your car works.

A reliable workshop and people who are passionate will help too...

Hi brother (wprom),

My E66 is facing also facing gearbox (transmission) fluid leakage as well. Can you PM me your JB (Two-B) contact and the cost you spent on your gearbox leakage?

Thank you.

Ric Chong;894039 said:
Hi brother (wprom),

My E66 is facing also facing gearbox (transmission) fluid leakage as well. Can you PM me your JB (Two-B) contact and the cost you spent on your gearbox leakage?

Thank you.

The contact has been shared above. My case was fortunate as the fix was simple where the whole gearbox did not need to be taken out so I only paid less than 200 SGD including the thermostat replacement and coolant. If your gearbox needs to be taken out, I would say in JB would be 40% cheaper (or more) than in SG workshop.

Hi bros,

Can PM me address and contacts for Francis's workshop and 1KM's recommended workshop?

Thanks.

lkm;883539 said:
Bro, did you manage to get your creaking suspension fixed too??

The creaking only happens when I have full load of 5 adults. Will leave it for the time being.

Btw francis charges about sgd $250 for bmw battery. Quite expensive....

propertyhans;896328 said:
The creaking only happens when I have full load of 5 adults. Will leave it for the time being.

Its better than PML charge you almost double the price of what you've paid right? :)

pReTeNd3r;896352 said:
Its better than PML charge you almost double the price of what you've paid right? :)

If I am not wrong, all the BMW genuine parts are price controlled by BMW Asia, PML is free to charge anything they want for labour and non-BMW parts like batteries.

(Foreign) Car parts in M'sia are heavily taxed.... Unless it's a Proton or Kencil etc.... So naturally more expensive than in SG.....

Labour is cheaper though... =)

propertyhans;896328 said:

Not true... There are a few stockist here that sells original parts cheaper than PML...

nisiel;896466 said:
If I am not wrong, all the BMW genuine parts are price controlled by BMW Asia, PML is free to charge anything they want for labour and non-BMW parts like batteries.

best is go eng soon buy parts ... go jb do? :D

lkm;896473 said:
(Foreign) Car parts in M'sia are heavily taxed.... Unless it's a Proton or Kencil etc.... So naturally more expensive than in SG.....

Labour is cheaper though... =)

wt_know;896477 said:
best is go eng soon buy parts ... go jb do? :D

Go JB servicing... Suan Bian jia Lok Lok???

Anyone tried coating the seals with krytox ?

canuck78;851622 said:
Hi bro,

I think for e90 engine it's quite common for oil, water leaks etc.

It's the high ambience temperature we have here, and the german gasket/rubber parts are not tropicalised well enough if any, hence all the leaks once you reach the mileage/age, whichever come first.

My engine also drinks 1L just 4k into my 8k oil change interval.

Am using BMW LL-01 5w30, gonna try BMW 0w40 next change to see if better (e.g. less oil burn, etc) as it's supposed to be a thicker oil suitable for older cars.

New car, i.e. less than 3 years can stick to 5w30 i think

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fb88betone

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back