Buying a F10

I have been heavy footing it....about 480km for 63litre of shell 98. Then again, I was driving like a daytona driver with the 523I...i am sure 528 or 520 can do better FC.
Wah!
Full tank is how many litres bro? Minus reserve.
Haven really track by tank yet (and i dont think its a good gauge as diff conditions n habits can affect huge margins). I'm using OBD adapter with Torque Pro to monitor, and i reset when in different conditions.

So for me, expressway is 10-11km/l at leisure mode (past few days super relax driving reached 10.8), only going city then will be 8+.

10 year old M-Sport with 1 owner. 130000km. But doesnt come with those fierce bodykit. And stock exhaust, not those quad exhaust. But does have sunroof though. Either this or a fully done up highline but 2 owners already and mileage not indicated.

Wah!

Haven really track by tank yet (and i dont think its a good gauge as diff conditions n habits can affect huge margins). I'm using OBD adapter with Torque Pro to monitor, and i reset when in different conditions.

So for me, expressway is 10-11km/l at leisure mode (past few days super relax driving reached 10.8), only going city then will be 8+.

Hi is that the mileage for a 523I ...if it is, I should seriously get the car checked...cos I can barely hit that...mostly only 8-9/l

Hi is that the mileage for a 523I ...if it is, I should seriously get the car checked...cos I can barely hit that...mostly only 8-9/l
yes 523i. but as mentioned, many variables might tilt your results. My case home-work is only few traffic lights and expressway, and i'm light footed (don't go beyond 1.5k rpm one).

Guys...im looking to get a 10 year old 523i with 190000km done. Dealer will change for me new gearbox upon confirmation with warranty. Is it advisable?

Test drove a highline just now. Car has slight vibrations. Is this normal?
Other than that, i get 6 months warranty for engine and gearbox.

Just wanna share my experience driving a F10 523 for about 2 years until scrap.

It's been a good drive, but FC is abit on the high side with 9-10km/l (light footed). I'm a heavy user, clocked in about 30k km a year. At scrap it's just nice about 200k km.

Issues i faced-

1. Aircon compressor busted at the start (8th year), cost borne by dealer so i'm not sure. IIRC it sould be about $800.
2. Engine cylinder head replacement: $770 with labour (can't remember the symptoms, but it should be oil leaking and loss of power).
3. One main issue almost all F10 users will face at some point is this: Flooding in the passenger seat area when heavy rain (or water sloshing sound). This is due to steering column cover (it's a yellow plate) that needs to be replaced. Luckily cheap fix $260 inclusive labour
4. The most expensive issue i faced: Engine camshaft bolt issue, which is apparently, a design defect of BMW- to the point where BMW has issued a recall globally (But annoyingly, not in SG- i checked with PML). Was quite upset and had to shell out $1700 (other site sponsors quoted $3k+) to get it fixed at my workshop. Symptoms include great loss of power especially at acceleration, loud whistling from the engine, car jerking violently to a sudden stop.

Some other wear and tear i did include changing the absorbers - (standard brakepads and bilstein B4s) from Eng Soon about $490 + labour and wheel alignment $160.

At the near 10 year mark i can feel what i believe is transmission problems, jerkiness when accelerating from gear 1-2. When i accelerate, can also hear the engine rev but no power, until it reaches gear 2 then power is smooth. I've also heard from other F10 drivers about jerkiness and knocking sounds in gear changing (gearbox problem).

So maybe something to take note when you're buying your're test driving yours.

Other than the problems listed above, the 6cylinder engine should be quite reliable. Oil consumption is normal (~8k-10k km), not much leaking problems.

Overall still happy with the car. Really love the car's silhouette and overall design. Lots of mods to play with. Put it in sports mode and enjoy the drive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8may88vip
Back