BMW 1M vs Tuned 135i

Re: BMW 1M vs Tuned 135i

Hang on. If one reads the article in detail, they are comparing the 1M (N54) vs 135i (N55). Twin turbos vs single turbo. Still IL6, but I suspect the modified 135i will spool faster at lower RPM. Both have DCT but different 2nd gear ratio.

I will prefer the 1M too, given the awesome chasiss, nicer bodykit and wider stance. But manual leh... not as if we go tracking everyday. zzz.

It's a pretty no brainer in this case: 1M. 1M has wider track, full M3 suspension bits and that M rear differential that cannot be bought aftermarket. It also has better aerodynamics (air curtain) and a superior steering rack in response, feel, and feedback. Engine power wise, the tuned 135i would definitely be faster. However, by the time u upgrade the 135i to be close to a 1M, the $ pumped in would bring the cost pretty close to a 1M, but all the parts are still not working in perfect harmony. Unless one defines better to mean faster in the straight line, the tuned 135i has no chance.

clar;716143 said:
It's a pretty no brainer in this case: 1M. 1M has wider track, full M3 suspension bits and that M rear differential that cannot be bought aftermarket. It also has better aerodynamics (air curtain) and a superior steering rack in response, feel, and feedback. Engine power wise, the tuned 135i would definitely be faster. However, by the time u upgrade the 135i to be close to a 1M, the $ pumped in would bring the cost pretty close to a 1M, but all the parts are still not working in perfect harmony. Unless one defines better to mean faster in the straight line, the tuned 135i has no chance.

article suggest otherwise though.

this one has full M3 suspension and Quaife LSD. Maybe perhaps the 1M / 135 have more similarities than the M3/335, hence the basis for this matchup. I like the 1M but it's always fun to have a David vs Goliath fight.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Mockngbrd said:
this one has full M3 suspension and Quaife LSD.

Did you read my thread? I have the same. Everything on the M3 that can be fitted on the E92 I have fitted, including the Qaife LSD. But that's not the point.

Omar: The M3s handling lies in the proper tuningof the ECU to the differential together with the chasis rigidity thats makes it most apparent. And that itself is the hardest to replicate. the rest of the items can be used and that will be as close as 85% to an M3.

Edwin: One difference is the existence of the EDC. Another is the balance of the car as a whole. The handling of the car is more than the sum of it's parts. But as the title of this thread says "bridging" the handling gap. If the purpose is to "bridge" the gap, then the mods will certainly bridge it. But "match" - unlikely...

Shaun: Exactly. 335 will never match unless transplant of these two technologies and tuning to the 335 specifics (masses, inertias, tires, kinematics, etc.) is carried out. It takes a lot of know how to do that and it is difficult to access teams that can do it for you properly. If you do locate such a team, the money it will cost for their time will be more than the difference you would pay to buy the M3 to start with. If you're the first person truly attempting it with a good team, money spent might be able to buy 2 or 3 M3s when all is said and done. Especially considering there is no pro equipment or testing grounds locally for this sort of thing.

And when time to sell, still selling at 335 used price keke.

IMO the correct comparison should be 1M coupe (n54) manual 6-sp vs 135i coupe (n54) manual 6-sp and NOT 135i coupe (n55) DCT.
with this comparison, the differences would be smaller and hence, a more accurate conclusion.

e46monster;716244 said:
IMO the correct comparison should be 1M coupe (n54) manual 6-sp vs 135i coupe (n54) manual 6-sp and NOT 135i coupe (n55) DCT.
with this comparison, the differences would be smaller and hence, a more accurate conclusion.

Eugene....they should have used your monster car to compare..... :woottt:

Unfair. Eugene's will win hands down.

(Eugene....they should have used your monster car to compare..... :woottt: )
for mine, could be true but the $$ spent to bring it to this level would not have been a fair comparison ie. car on the road + upgrade spent > cost of 1M.

the reviewers could have considered -
cost of 1M 1st batch basic options = cost of 135i n54 6-sp last available batch basic option + (difference in price of the 2cars) mod lists.
oso, the fact that e82 base 135i did not fit in 265width tyres on the rear is misleading.
advan has e82135rims that are really lightweight with deep dish (sorry to offend the other brands or site sponsors) fitted on mine replacing rs-gts -
rear - 9.0x19 offset 50 that can easily fit in 265width tyres w/o fender work.
frt - 8.5x19 offset 35 that can easily fit in 245width tyres (however, slight protuding out of fender).
ft - 8.0x19 offset 45 that easily fit in 225-235 width tyres (flush to fender).

the 265 rear and frt 245 are the same as 1M coupe specs.
spending the entire difference in the price of purchasing both cars and comparing them would have been a really good indication.
the 135i n54 6-sp manual bone stock performance is known, mod and create a sleeper which only the ones concerned know the true performance.
a good example is golf r vs golf gti comparison.

(Unfair. Eugene's will win hands down.)
its the $$ + time + research + technical know-how spent la ken.
very sure if the 1M owners were to spend close to whats spent on mine + weight saving....they could be faster.
ur previous pony was oso a super sleeper.

Mockngbrd;716156 said:
article suggest otherwise though.

Of course the article will suggest otherwise. How else are they gonna sell ad space? In my opinion, comparing the top range series model against its M cousin is generally an exercise in futility in BMW M's context. M generally puts enough R&D into the M equivalent. If M simply slaps on an ECU tune and new shocks/damper and call it a day, it would make more sense to mod it yourself. I had a 135i and had most of the M3 suspension bits and it certainly improved things. However, the steering is no where near as responsive and with the same amount of feedback as my M3's rack and i hear the 1M's steering is superior to that of M3. If the reviewer's basis of evaluation is simply based on performance, then it's a no brainer too. The 135i takes the cake N54 or N55. Most of us would know that the experience of driving a M car is not simply about going fast, but the joy and pleasure of the chasis, steering, and some other visceral inputs all working in perfect harmony. It's about BALANCE.

tried clubsport coilovers (adjusted) + alum suspension components + metal subframe bushings + weight reduction + corner weighting + chassis track specs upgrades?

e46monster;716316 said:
tried clubsport coilovers (adjusted) + alum suspension components + metal subframe bushings + weight reduction + corner weighting + chassis track specs upgrades?

Have you tried a new steering rack? :p

clar;716336 said:
Have you tried a new steering rack? :p

actually, to be frank have tested and drove the e92m3 before pushing both pml and bm asia to offer the 1st e82135i.
IMO found the m not to my liking being to heavy and not providing enuff feedback.
having had all previous bms modded especially the e36, the latter day cars and i mean even the e92m3 stock not being able to provide what's lacking for me.

the review also took into account price points of a 1M / tuned 135i for the final evaluation of which is the better overall car. The 1M in the end with the same right driver might edge out a tuned 135i but if the differences are not big, points would probably go to the 135 for providing more for less.

e46monster;716341 said:
actually, to be frank have tested and drove the e92m3 before pushing both pml and bm asia to offer the 1st e82135i.
IMO found the m not to my liking being to heavy and not providing enuff feedback.
having had all previous bms modded especially the e36, the latter day cars and i mean even the e92m3 stock not being able to provide what's lacking for me.

U are not telling me that the steering on the 135i is better than the M3 are you? The M3's steering is lame during low speed, but wakes up nicely once on the move. The M3's steering is lighter than the 135i even with M servotronic engaged. When i switched to M3 from the 135i, i couldn't get used to the super light steering feel compared to the 135i and had to engage M mode all the time just to get it to a useable weight, but still lighter than the 135i.

Mockngbrd said:
the review also took into account price points of a 1M / tuned 135i for the final evaluation of which is the better overall car. The 1M in the end with the same right driver might edge out a tuned 135i but if the differences are not big, points would probably go to the 135 for providing more for less.

Price points? What's the context of the analysis of a better overall car? Overall (track & street) or just street day-to-day?

The price points between the 335s and the Ms were close to $100K and some $20K mods might put the 335s in a position to "edge out" the Ms on the local roads (since all Es "expressways" in Singapore are straight line, not to mention the sheer volume) and within the same context, the "differences are not big" leading to the 335s "providing more for less." Was that the case at all?

No, some journalist-wannbe will still label the M as pedigree and 335 a pariah. "Differences are not big" and "more for less" were not cited.

Context was overall - track and street.

So now goalposts are shifted?

clar;716354 said:
U are not telling me that the steering on the 135i is better than the M3 are you? The M3's steering is lame during low speed, but wakes up nicely once on the move. The M3's steering is lighter than the 135i even with M servotronic engaged. When i switched to M3 from the 135i, i couldn't get used to the super light steering feel compared to the 135i and had to engage M mode all the time just to get it to a useable weight, but still lighter than the 135i.

nope not that but, after driving the m3 and considering the price back in 2008 apr i felt it had too much hype and NOT up to what the previous m3s were eg. e30 (drove this in switzerland in 1999) / e36 evolution specs / e46.
an m car is the epitome of lightweight + good power + fine balance + precise handling + value for the buck.
in this instance the e92 (supposed to be developed further) failed in lightweight / power / precise handling / value for the buck (and that's not to compare with jap or korean cars).
i felt the difference in $$ spent for the lighter e82 would be able to match or even better the stock m3 and i am not wrong (rc s'pore race king drove it and did not want to return mine with the intention of tracking it) in the handling / poise / balance / power is = m car.
this was not baseless but having owned e36 and e46 and converted ($$ spent substantially) beyond what is speakeable on the open forum, i can speak from experience.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grieftherapist
Back