Auto Transmission (symbol of exclamation mark inside a circular gear

320i

Half way through my driving at around 80km/hr, the above symbol came on in red color. After that the car picked up speed very slowly from "stop" position. Off the engine and let it rested for an hour and everything back normal. What could be the problem? Any similar experiences and remedy?

Thanks

Re: Auto Transmission (symbol of exclamation mark inside a circular gear

This symbol is related to gear transmission mechanism, I experienced this recently.

Sent my ride to one of the Air-con shop in Sin Ming Ind to fix aircon pipe leaking, they dismantled the centre console & the gear lever cover to fix the water leaking issue. However, when they put back everything, this symbol appeared. As ususal they denied any wrong doing.

Went to a nearby workshop to check, was fortunate that just a lose cable and they fixed it on the spot. The workshop initial suspect was solenoid.

You may want to send in for a thorough check. If the inherent problem cause more damage can be costly to replace.

My ride is 320 (2007), it happened to me too just 2 hour ago. I was travelling at around 30km/h from stationary. Out of sudden my car lost it power and I have to rev it hard to get the car move at a very slow speed, so as to stop by the side of the road. I noticed I have the same warning sign mention by you. I turn off the engine and restart it immediately, the sign go off and the CHECK state 'OK'. I drove the car back and it seem normal. This is the first time happened to me. Wondering your the same with my incident? Any bros can share?

I had checked with the manual and it states that the transmission is overheated.....

it happened to my ride before and it is because of my clutch, same symptoms as you. i've did a check and for mine, it's just normal wear and tear as i'm driving a old e36. you might want to go to a workshop and do a diagnosis to find out the cause. hope this helps.

Thanks for all the replies. Seems like the symbol does not point to a specific problem although we know that it is from the transmission. Was told by PML that average gearbox lifespan for E90 is 150,000km. I am now at 130,000km and believe it is sign of "old age". Will continue to drive until the gearbox retires....

Hmm, i get that sometimes when i start-up the car. I would not notice it at first but as soon as i move from P to D, i could hear a loud THUD. It's insanely scary. I have to on and off the car again and the sign would disappear. Well, surprisingly, the mileage on the car is only 30k. Hmmm. Wear and Tear i suppose.??

cupholders;630479 said:
Hmm, i get that sometimes when i start-up the car. I would not notice it at first but as soon as i move from P to D, i could hear a loud THUD. It's insanely scary. I have to on and off the car again and the sign would disappear. Well, surprisingly, the mileage on the car is only 30k. Hmmm. Wear and Tear i suppose.??

30k should be "honeymoon" period, how can it be wear and tear...bring down to PML for check if under warranty...

when the light comes on the gear box will go into 3rd gear limp home mode

this means the gear box will only use 3dr gear all the time,this is why the car seem slow to pull way

you need to get this checked on a good diagnostics system like autologic and may need to check the live reading to see what info is going into and out of the gear box

get them to check the input speed and out put speeds as this will show if the gear box is slipping as well

it could be any think form a coding problem,to low oil to a faulty componet like a engine or gear box rotaion sensor or a ecu modual ect

if you tune off the engine for 1 min then restart it may reset it self till the problem happens again

it could be a small thing so get it checked now or you will ware out the 3rd gear cluches or more which will cost alot to repair

I had the same issue over the weekend. My car has approx 30K and I had serviced the car a month ago. Took it to PML and they mentioned that they had to replace the Mechatronics in the gearbox and will monitor.

I would suggest you guys go for an ATF and filter replaced. It should be leaking and the ATF is low n that y the warning came on. Mechanical parts in the gearbox is very strrong and will last for more than 300K with regular ATF change.

Most owmer face gearbox problem in olden days is becos PML claim that the ATF is for lifetime used.

Oil undergoing temperature will sure to deterate and looses it vicosity hence not providing sufficient Lub to moving parts n ended up some things will have to give way.

Last edited by a moderator:

derrrick yap;641742 said:
i would suggest you guys go for an atf and filter replaced. It should be leaking and the atf is low n that y the warning came on. Mechanical parts in the gearbox is very strronger to last for more than 300k with regular atf change.

Most owmer face gearbox problem in olden days is becos pml claim that the atf is for lifetime used.

Oil undergoing temperature will sure to deterate and looses it vicosity hence not providing sufficient lub to moving parts n ended up some thinsg will have give way.

+1 .........

cupholders;630479 said:

30k wear and tear ?

Changed ATF and engine oil two months back. Experienced jerking and orange ! light. Sent in this morning (PML). Diagnosed 1st fault to be ABS sensor. Still investigating the other cause..............

benlopan;642140 said:
Changed ATF and engine oil two months back. Experienced jerking and orange ! light. Sent in this morning (PML). Diagnosed 1st fault to be ABS sensor. Still investigating the other cause..............

PML ? Is it still under warranty ?

cupholders;630479 said:

I suppose you park your car without applying hand brake hence the locking machanism is force tightly out into drive mode. It is a very bad practise as i do notice some driver does this.

eg: Reverse to park, drivers will put from D to R to P.

To care for the gearbox, good practise is to: D to R to N den to P.

In this manner, it free up the pressure in the gearing by putting it into N. (Think of a manual car as an example n you will understand and get better picture, u always free up the clutch b4 u put to neutral)

on a auto P and N are the same when it comes to the wet clutch plates positon
the only diff is the P has a locking finger to stop the wheels rotating

I have bought extra 2 bottle of zf ATF oil from es as my workshop used 7 bottle only, 2 new extra oil for sale...$15ea x 2....

cupholders;630479 said:

is the problem solved? wat's the cause?

[email protected];647761 said:
on a auto P and N are the same when it comes to the wet clutch plates positon
the only diff is the P has a locking finger to stop the wheels rotating

does that mean that it makes no difference and there's no need to shift to N first, before shifting to P?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annaschmidt
Back