All about Z4 (E89/ E86/ E85) thread

Re: All about Z4 (E89/ E86/ E85) thread

LondonBridge;645671 said:
Raidengear got the same exo and has the same ride as me; he can feel the power lost too so I guess it should be the exo issue. The joint is more like a clip, they didn't weld it together tho. Could that be the reason of the power lost?

valjean;645679 said:
Hey, nice meeting you yesterday.

I also experiencing quite noticeable low-end loss after installing aftermarket exos... sigh...

Hi LondonBridge/valjean,
I had the same experience previously when I changed to aftermarket muffler.
One possible reason is due to leaks. Another reason is ECU-related. Something to do with adaptive values.
For my case, there was no leak.
So I went to reset my ECU. After that, no more loss at the low end. In fact, now the low end is even more powerful (butt feel only, no dyno chart, no witness, no conditions).
So I suggest, check for leaks first at the place where you installed your exhaust.
If there is no leak, then when you go down to PML/workshop for your next servicing, ask them to reset your ECU. If it works please buy me kopi at next meetup :)

Last edited by a moderator:

C3P0;645683 said:
Hi LondonBridge/valjean,
One possible reason is due to leaks. Another reason is ECU-related. Something to do with adaptive values.
So I went to reset my ECU. After that, no more loss at the low end. In fact, now the low end is even more powerful (butt feel only, no dyno chart, no witness, no conditions).
So I suggest, check for leaks first at the place where you installed your exhaust.
If there is no leak, then when you go down to PML/workshop for your next servicing, ask them to reset your ECU. If it works please buy me kopi at next meetup :)

Really useful advice. Will try these options out. Thanks!

valjean;645702 said:

Nice meeting you too! Go try reset your ECU and lemme know if it works before I get another exo and remove it :p

Thanks for the advice c3p0

LondonBridge;645716 said:
Thanks for the advice c3p0
valjean;645702 said:
No problem, I understand that LondonBridge had Remus and valjean you are on Eisenmann? I'm on Eisenmann btw.

Anway, do check out the possibility of leaks, as mentioned by RBB:

Red_Bean_Bun;643095 said:
Did you check for leaks as it would lose a bunch of low end torque ? Always wary of that as what had happened with mine .......... Had the same feeling of power loss so I decided to use another workshop to audit the work done.

Workshops behave differently when it comes to auditing another workshop's work (versus going back to the same workshop to hear lame excuses - "like its normal").

Saw black marks at the joints and using a rubber hose like a sethoscope could hear hissing / ticking sound when ramming the accelerator. Apparently a gasket was missing on one of the joints and welding was weak at another spot ......... Once fixed - power was back.

Also can read up this thread, just concentrate on the few posts I mentioned will do, as the rest quite OT:
http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/help-w...car-bit-different-after-changing-muffler.html
1) Page 1 - posts by satinGHOSTrider, Toto and Ken
2) Page 2 - first post by satinGHOSTrider.

C3P0;645683 said:
Hi LondonBridge/valjean,
Hi,

Thanks for the tips but I got a few questions on hand...

Resetting ECU as in resetting the car's adaptive learning feature? Say if I am running on a stock ECU, does it reset and relearn/reprogram the air/fuel mixture in order to optimize performance from the engine?

And if I am using a generic piggyback ECU tune (BMS Powerbox) , most probably it's tuned for a stock based setup, and would say it's pretty much a no-no for a custom set-up yeah?

cupholders;645836 said:
YEEEAAAHHH YOU'RE INTERIOR BEST LAAAAAA

Nice steering wheel too.... :woottt:

Noted with thanks........

cheers

RaidenGear;645832 said:
Hi,

Resetting ECU as in resetting the car's adaptive learning feature? Say if I am running on a stock ECU, does it reset and relearn/reprogram the air/fuel mixture in order to optimize performance from the engine?

And if I am using a generic piggyback ECU tune (BMS Powerbox) , most probably it's tuned for a stock based setup, and would say it's pretty much a no-no for a custom set-up yeah?

Sell your ride and go buy an M3 la. Solve all problem

MEDIC KITT

RaidenGear;645832 said:
Hi,

Resetting the adaptive learning - disconnect the battery for 20 minutes. ECU will start to relearn the high level adaptations ..........

RaidenGear;645832 said:
Hi,

Hee Hee bro, u look me too up. Maybe others can help :chinese:

RaidenGear;645832 said:
Hi,

Please update me if it work so I can order my exhaust.

In case anyone is still interested, I checked with Classic Auto Leather on customised car mats (the carpet type, not the 3M type):
- $80 for standard quality
- $120 for premium quality (looks/feels thicker)
Both comes with heel pad as well as spikes underneath. Seems to have a range of colours.

I probably will order a set, because my 3M-type car mat is damn irritating - keeps shifting around and for the passenger-side piece, keeps folding onto itself.

Any idea if the price is reasonable, given that our Z4 only needs 2 front pieces?

Last edited by a moderator:

Had ordered a set of Breyton GTS wheels in gunmetal, but having second thoughts now. Here are the contenders...

Breyton GTS
breyton_racegts_mg_ci3_l.jpg

A common favourite with its very aggressive, deeply concave spokes, but perhaps a tad too common for bimmers. Cheap (made in China, now going to Malaysia apparently) and heavy (~12.5kg from tirerack), but probably no heavier than stock rims.

BBS CH-R
bbs_chr_tpssl_ci3_l.jpg

Another favourite, and also fairly common on not only bimmers but other contis. Like the Breytons, the CH-R features a deep concavity, but less aggressive-looking spokes. About twice the price of the Breytons, and marginally lighter (~12kg from tirerack).

Prodrive GC-014i
01_01.jpg

Forged monoblock and very lightweight - from internet sources, only ~9.5kg! Price is about the same as the BBS, i.e. also roughly twice that of the Breytons.

Comments? :D

Prodrive or BBS then..........

* Prodrive for me.........
cheers

1. Prodrive - looks great with your white z
2. Breyton - cheap and nice!
3. BBS - BBK won't stand out

But since you already ordered, should just stick to breyton. Gunmetal ftw!

ac323;646063 said:
Prodrive or BBS then..........

* Prodrive for me.........
cheers

Honestly, I'm a bit swayed towards the Prodrives now - quality over looks (they don't look bad, but not as striking as concave rims). But got to fork out double compared to the GTS (nearly $4k for the set of Prodrives in 19"). So still undecided...

valjean;646108 said:
Honestly, I'm a bit swayed towards the Prodrives now - quality over looks (they don't look bad, but not as striking as concave rims). But got to fork out double compared to the GTS (nearly $4k for the set of Prodrives in 19"). So still undecided...

Oh i see..............................

* ok, update us then.........
cheers

LondonBridge;646085 said:
1. Prodrive - looks great with your white z
2. Breyton - cheap and nice!
3. BBS - BBK won't stand out

But since you already ordered, should just stick to breyton. Gunmetal ftw!

Bro, that is good advice - Breyton is cheap and good!

PS: Prodrives also come in a very nice shade of British Black...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vin7771comco

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back