Upgraded rims and now screeching sound

cymon

Upgraded from 17 to 20" on my F10 and realised there're screeching sound whenever I press on the brake. The screeching sound sounds like brake pad worn out sound.

Asked shop why like that, shop said because of the bigger rims, and that is normal. Is this normal?

Any bro can help? Thank you.

Re: Upgraded rims and now screeching sound

I don't think it is normal. I too have 20" rims on my f10 but i don't notice any sound.

Bro Cymon,, occasionally, I use fat 21" rims in my F02, and I've experienced some screeching with the brakes. However, after PML adjusted them, they are OK now. Dunno what the screeching is due to - I got the rims changed on the day I bought the F02. So I don't really have a comparison...

Before was totally fine with stock rims. Only after I sent my ride in to change to 20", I hear the sound immediately after I drove off and informed the shop owner and he said it is normal cos of the upgraded size. Honestly, I personally don't think it's normal. But hope to hear from you guys experiences.

The other effect of a larger rim is larger moment of inertia. At low speeds, the brakes have to work marginally harder to slow the wheels down. Does the squeaking happen all the time or only at very specific speeds/pedal pressures? Perhaps you were just driving faster with the new sporty wheels and glazed the pads or something like that.

Yet another effect is the hub-rotor-wheel interface itself. The squeaking happens because the pads vibrate against the rotors, but the rotors are connected to the hub and the hub is connected to the wheel. As the mass distribution changes, so does the fundamental resonant frequency. Perhaps you just hit the sweet spot with the bigger rims.

did the rim installer spoilt the rotor/pad ?

MW;754793 said:
The other effect of a larger rim is larger moment of inertia. At low speeds, the brakes have to work marginally harder to slow the wheels down. Does the squeaking happen all the time or only at very specific speeds/pedal pressures? Perhaps you were just driving faster with the new sporty wheels and glazed the pads or something like that.

Yet another effect is the hub-rotor-wheel interface itself. The squeaking happens because the pads vibrate against the rotors, but the rotors are connected to the hub and the hub is connected to the wheel. As the mass distribution changes, so does the fundamental resonant frequency. Perhaps you just hit the sweet spot with the bigger rims.

I dun think it can be easily spoilt unless the shop really whacks the rims in, like u squeeze ur L kkj into a xs underwear n spoil ur lampar ji.

MW;754793 said:

Bro, thank you for the explanation.

The sound only comes on when the press is light to a complete stop.

Before installing new wheels, had never had such a squeaking sound. It happened immediately only after the wheels were installed. And no sound when vehicle is on the move.

To add, sound comes from the front wheels.

I may be going back to the tyre shop to see any possibility of rectifying the problem.

Any ideas if change to a bigger brake kit will solve the squeaking problem?

I have the same problem too.

Changed to 20" BC rims and it has the screeching sound especially on cold rainy days. Now i'm using 20" Breytons and the sound is still there but lesser only.

Wheel shop says it due to weather and bigger sized wheels. Brought to PML svc ctr and they said the same thing as they have handled such issues before. Brought to an external workshop and its the same reply.

Strangely, some cars with 20" wheels have such sound and some don't have any sound. Much more noise when wheels are cold and weather is rainy... Heng/Swuay....

wt_know;754798 said:
did the rim installer spoilt the rotor/pad ?

Thats why I might ask them to re-install my stock wheels and see whether the sound goes off. If the sound still exist, they might had spoilt the rotor.

chriz;754846 said:
I have the same problem too.

Changed to 20" BC rims and it has the screeching sound especially on cold rainy days. Now i'm using 20" Breytons and the sound is still there but lesser only.

Wheel shop says it due to weather and bigger sized wheels. Brought to PML svc ctr and they said the same thing as they have handled such issues before. Brought to an external workshop and its the same reply.

Strangely, some cars with 20" wheels have such sound and some don't have any sound. Much more noise when wheels are cold and weather is rainy... Heng/Swuay....

Wah like that jia lat leh. You can tahan the sound?

Yes, sound more obvious when brake pad is cold, only when driving longer distance, brake pad gets hot, the sound getting lesser and lesser.

Beside the noise, do you all experience vibration at higher speeds(100 and above)?

Actually just drive it alittle more n monitor. If its light press n got sound means not that jialat.

helbreath;754857 said:
Beside the noise, do you all experience vibration at higher speeds(100 and above)?

Paiseh, had not gone beyond 100km/h as yet. Will try and monitor. Thanx.

I am on 20. No sound so far. No vibration fr 100-150km for me. Had the sound once at low speed and light press fr cold start in the carpark then no more.

But i got some light squeaking sound from my rear when i cross the humps.

I get that sound too. But only from a cold start. Once the car is moving, it is fine again. PML told me is due to aftermarket rims and that this is common especially on F10 cars. Told me that if I change to the BMW BBK, the sound will not be there anymore. How true.. I don't know..

That's why, sad to say, I now firmly believe, stock is best....

I get this cold start screeching sound too in the morning on my E90. Been more then a year already n it's still there. But used to it already lor...

Sounds like its normal to have the screeching sound after upgrading.

Any bros who had the sound and upgraded to a bigger BBK or lower spring solve the problem?

Bro Cymon do you still have the screeching sound? I also plan to upgrade to the 20" vertini you mentioned on other thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8may88vip
Back