Run-Flats ? Repair or Change

Re: Run-Flats ? Repair or Change

My run flats needs a serious pump every like 2 weeks, esp the one at the driver's seat. Wonder if its a tyre problem or its normal. Another problem is traction, find run flats have really lousy traction.

Isit better to drive on run flats or better normal tyres? Like CSC3. Bros pls hlep :)
Thkx!

pumping once every 2 weeks seems normal to me... I'm running staggered so i pump once a week to make them last longer/wear out more evenly. When they puncture, you'll get the tire flat warning within a week at most... more likely 2 days.
I've had 5 punctures on my run flats the last year... tried all 3 methods as mentioned earlier in this thread to patch them at various times... In the end, it was a huge mofo nail near the inner sidewall which rendered the rear 255/35 tire irreparable (internal patch only lasted for 3 weeks)... got it replaced for $520.
I was originally going to change to non-RFT after the entire set wore out, but i think the benefits of RFT technology outweighs the cons (stiff ride/avg grip etc.) so I'll probably stick with RFTs.

punctured on sidewall or near sidewall is not recommended to repair in the first placed
so what you did to replace new tyre is right and best solution.in term of maximun safety.

RFT need not be as expensive as $500 or more per piece...just need to enquire around :) . From what I understand, currently there's 2 brands available in S'pore - Bridgestone and Goodyear.

For my E60 (17", 225/50), I had it for $330 (w/GST) per piece (Goodyear). It was changed due to regular wear and tear. However if you just have a puncture, please have it checked at a regular tyre shop.

If the puncture occurs along the grooves / thread of the tyre, no sweat. It can be easily/safely patched for a mere $8 - $10 per hole. If the puncture occurs on the sidewall (ie. inner or outer), then in the interest of safety, the tyre (regardless of new or worn) has to be changed.

RFT are definitely more expensive than your typical tyres. Tyres are what separates you from the road. Get a good quality one.

So, RFT or regular tyres? The choice is really yours. :)

RunOnFlat - The first tyre to keep going after a puncture

you are right safty is above everything,did you regular shop doing the proper repair internal patching which allow them to carry out the thorough internal inspection? is no point that the leak is stopped but tyre had a internal injuries or demaged which is still consider dangerous to use them.

roberttan;367568 said:
you are right safty is above everything,did you regular shop doing the proper repair internal patching which allow them to carry out the thorough internal inspection? is no point that the leak is stopped but tyre had a internal injuries or demaged which is still consider dangerous to use them.
I am no expert in tyres, so I leave it to the professionals. If the guy says it's safe to just plug it rather than to change the whole tyre, who am I to say he's wrong ? :)

Of course there are obviously others who will not hesitate to scare monger you into changing all 4 pieces too. :)

So, a regular tyre shop located in a shop house by the roads, bigger outfits (eg. Autobacs, Stanford Tyres), or back to PML ??

The choice is really up to you. Do your own homework (if possible) before deciding. That way, it'll save you a heartache subsequently.

Cheers! :)

if you read the tyre side wall(very small) that stated no repaired is allow,but i think if the punctured tyre if is not drivened for too long distance and get the proper repair procedure by seperating the tyre and rim get internal checking for any hidden injuries or demaged and patch up(plaster) you should still safe to use the repaired tyre,those tyre shop wether big or small carrying out a external insert is considered not the appropiate way of repair.

Hi, since we are on the topic of RFTs, I have a question to ask.

I'm collecting my E90 this Sunday and will be ditching the stock rims and tires for 18 inchers.

Since the car does not carry a spare tyre, wld it make sense to carry a tyre patching kit instead?

The thought of being stuck somewhere ulu with a flat tire and not being able to do anything about does sound scary.

definitely is make sense to carry them,but anyone here try use therepair kit ?
still remeber it is only a temporary measure you need to bring them to your tyre shop to have a complete internal check and repair9and again BMW do not recommend repair) . to me the best is a spare tyre,i think some of this bimmer came with spare wheel oredi.

Is our original tyres run flat?

how to see if the tyre is a run-flat type type?

Thanks. Very "green" in BMW.

just look at your tyre sidewall,there should be a marking of run flat tyre if i am not wrong or RSC this 3 letter

Tyres & Rims Trade-in

Hi,

I'm getting my 335 coupe soon & I want to trade-in my OE tyres & rims. Any recommendations on where's a gd place I can go to? And what sort of prices should I be getting for my trade-ins?

Hurry tyres take them in at $800, Leong Seng take them at $650 for 320i. Not sure how much for 335.

Is anyone aware of the current cost of a 16inch Bridgestone RTF for a 320i? I got my flat tyre changed at PML in november last year at S$280 per piece. I am planning to replace my other 3 as they are almost balding.

If its just a puncture...surely even safer repairing runflats than normal tyres. I know at $900+ for a 19" with 3k on it was a no brainer for me! splits or side wall damage is a different matter though.

In case anyone is interested, I do have a set of 2.5 year old original 16" Stock Rims with Bridgestone's TURANZA ES300 Run Flats 205/55/16.

The Tyres have about 30% threads left.

Cash and Carry at $200 for a set of 4. Good if you want to de-mod.

Can search ebay for the picture.

Cheers!

Hi, I'm interested in changing my 17 inch rims and tyres (run flat) to 18 inch rims. The run flat tyres are really expensive and I'm wondering if it is okay to change the tyres to non run-flat low profile tyres?

Is it advisable not to use Run-flat tyres since PML's advice is to stick to run flat tyres? Thanks

I'm new at this so hope experienced old-timers can give me some advice

Back