My 6-year old F10 - only time can tell

papbear77

Back in 2010, I was invited to be part of the exciting new F10 5 Series launch by PML....I bought the car without a test drive....
...I was even featured on ChannelNewsAsia extolling the very exciting drive and special feeling of driving the new F10...

Fast forward to today.....its been about 6 years....and I am deeply disappointed by the quality of the car.....over the course of ownership had to change all 4 car doors grip handles, which apparently "melted", "disappearing" coolant requiring frequent top-up, gasket leak, washer container leak, ignition coil replacement, entire windscreen wiper assembly replaced due to rust and oxidation and most disappointing is seeing everyday, for about 9 months already, the so call On-Board-Computer display, which just says "BMW"."BMW"..."BMW"....stuck forever singing these 3 letters....till today, not even PML can fix this....

I shudder thinking ahead what else is going to give way.....and its been only 6-years.....1 owner and despite taking all the possible care for servicing etc...
I do not expect perfection (but expectations are high in Singapore given the high prices of cars)....but its true.....only time will tell how does a car quality hold true...

A disappointed BMW-owner.

did you report this to BMW Asia or post this on BMWs twitter account. You will get a response provided you have service histroy wit the dealer. PML is not really helpful in such cases.

papbear77;n1844449 said:
Back in 2010, I was invited to be part of the exciting new F10 5 Series launch by PML....I bought the car without a test drive....
...I was even featured on ChannelNewsAsia extolling the very exciting drive and special feeling of driving the new F10...

Fast forward to today.....its been about 6 years....and I am deeply disappointed by the quality of the car.....over the course of ownership had to change all 4 car doors grip handles, which apparently "melted", "disappearing" coolant requiring frequent top-up, gasket leak, washer container leak, ignition coil replacement, entire windscreen wiper assembly replaced due to rust and oxidation and most disappointing is seeing everyday, for about 9 months already, the so call On-Board-Computer display, which just says "BMW"."BMW"..."BMW"....stuck forever singing these 3 letters....till today, not even PML can fix this....

I shudder thinking ahead what else is going to give way.....and its been only 6-years.....1 owner and despite taking all the possible care for servicing etc...
I do not expect perfection (but expectations are high in Singapore given the high prices of cars)....but its true.....only time will tell how does a car quality hold true...

thought my experience was bad until i read yours. But to be fair, the F10 is 1 hell of a car when it is not giving any sort of problems.

Yeah. I've changed a radiator, Vanos Solenoid and two ignition coils for my 2011 F10.

Other than that, I'm more disappointed with the drive itself. The stock suspension is a frikin joke, floats like a road boat on land. The transmission is laggy and hesitates to downshift when I floor the gas pedal (normal mode). Like it's having a committee meeting to decide whether to approve the downshift. The steering lacks feedback from the road, the steering ratio is super low and turning radius sucks.

It's a joke that a BMW can't get the suspension, transmission and steering right. Aren't these the very basics of a car's performance? I suppose I have to be happy that the reverse gear is OK!

Another disappointed F10 owner.

I bought the last batch of F10 523l from PML, year 2011 if I remember correctly. Car when turning to
Left or right at stationery has knocking sound, PML said this car is like that and I had to take it. Other than that, I hate the sluggish gear shift. My friends bought F10 520i in 2012 ones had more problems.

I got mine in 2012, so far touch wood no major problems, drives wonderfully (of cos modded lah..the rims and suspension is a joke).

Just like other stuff such as mobile phones, never buy FIRST batch of any new models....forever have problems....

i got mine in 2011, to date also changed water pump, injectors, coils, radiator and water/oil leaks.
its really a bane driving this car past warranty.

yes of course the rims, suspensions and brakes are quite ridiculous. i had them all changed out.

going forward, can consider f30 range (hearsay from workshop that way less problems). cheers

The early batches for F10 (523i especially) had really bad suspension and the transmission software was a little laggy. Wiper fluid container slowly leaking is also a common problem. But later batches of F10 (around 2013) just before the LCI was released had these issues solved. Suspension is much better now and the transmission software seems to work well, at least for me.

Ignition coils are pretty much "wear and tear". When one goes, the others will go soon. Change all of them if you don't like to visit workshops or call tow truck.

detach8;n1845244 said:
The early batches for F10 (523i especially) had really bad suspension and the transmission software was a little laggy. Wiper fluid container slowly leaking is also a common problem. But later batches of F10 (around 2013) just before the LCI was released had these issues solved. Suspension is much better now and the transmission software seems to work well, at least for me.

Ignition coils are pretty much "wear and tear". When one goes, the others will go soon. Change all of them if you don't like to visit workshops or call tow truck.

I understand that when it comes to reliability, it also depends on yr luck. But I do not understand how can bmw release such a horrible driving car like this. Don't they test drive the cars during the design and development stage? Or they now hire ah peks and uncles to test drive them?

My next car will be a Mercedes Benz!
+1. Keeping my E92 for now and definitely skipping F-series turbo bullsh*t. Thinking of getting a Merc SLS or Audi R8 v10 which look and sound great

LOL, Ironman :thumbsup:

Back in 2010, I was invited to be part of the exciting new F10 5 Series launch by PML....bought the car without a test drive....

(This is along post...but its necessary...)

Dear BMW,
It may have just been the luck of the draw BUT what happened just a few weeks after my post has really confirmed to me that the F10 is really a poor,poor, poor quality car!!!!! How could you even put this car on the market!!!

My ignition coils gave way.....again!,,....obviously, had to send it in....to your AD, PML to get it replaced. PML recommended servicing as well as change of brake fluid.....I said ok....although milage not reached yet.

When done, SA (not my regular SA, who was on leave) ... whom I shall call "SA-X", said all well and good, so I collected the car at the end of the day but upon driving back, found out that idling was way way high AND the servicing reset was not done. How could they release the car to customer when these basic service was not even done....which is paid for by the way as part of servicing!....
I whatsapped "SA-X" with pictures of these 2 'issues'...and obviously, told me to bring it back to recheck.
When down the next day, and this is the 'BEST'part!!!........was told that my DME was faulty!!!!!!

@#$#/%&$^How could PML, or this "SA-X", release the car to the customer saying all OK AND LET THE CUSTOMER find out lapses on very basic service items!....BUT THE WORST PART IS THAT AFTER SENDING THE CAR IN FOR RECHECK.....tell the customer that ANOTHER PART CAUSED THIS FAULT!

Fact is, I only have the whatsapp conversation showing the sequence of events....but what happened at the PML workshop when "SA-X" sent in my car to change my coils.....I can only speculate!...."SA-X" release the car to me, telling me all OK, then after i find out myself, bring back in, THEN tell me the DME is the fault!.....

By this time, my regular SA, which I have been with for the past 6 years, came back from leave, and I relayed what happened. Anyway, my regular SA appealed on my behalf and tried to put things right as much as an SA-level can do......I deeply appreciate this SA, without which, i would have already left BMW behind many times over!!! PML, you are fortunate to have this SA.....but unfortunate to have "SA-X", whom, has, in my opinion, not only been very slack but very very unprofessional.....and has brought down PML's rep., in my book!

Obviously, I had to replace the DME..and even after the appeal, its a four figure sum by the way and I am really really pisseed at the poor poor quality of BMW F10 parts......in addition to "SA-X"!

In my opinion, having to change wear and tear items are a given....BUT HAVING TO KEEP CHANGING IGNITION COILS And worse of all, THE DME IS RIDICULOUS!.....its like soon, have to change out all parts of the car!!...BMW, what else?!!....pray tell!....of such substandard quality parts, within such short span of time!

SO BMW, obviously, you know how I feel about your cars!....and this took time.....I gave many years for you to change my mind (this F10 is not my first BMW) and when the opportunity comes, it will be with a finality that I will celebrate and annouce to all, in my circle, outside of my circle, even to outer space if there is life out there......stay away from BMW products.....

SINCERELY,
From a 'disappointed BMW-owner' to a "cannot wait to get rid of BMW-car owner"

I'm going to remove the other new thread you posted since this is a repeat.

You need a good workshop with staffs who have the right knowledge and attitude to take care of your BMW. My PML car started going in and out of PML when it was 2 years old. I always need a few visits to nail the root cause of my car problem. On the other hand, my car was virtually trouble free many years after the end of warranty when I serviced it at a reputable workshop (a sponsor here). Don't be disappointed with BMW, try fixing your car issues with a good workshop.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

The msv90 Dme (guessing it's an N52N engine - F10 523i ?) does have problems. Usual symptoms - unable to measure the oil level, unable to reset the servicing interval - fault codes would be related to the BSD interface. The DME would still function fine for driving. Most owners would just rather ignore the oil level measurements and OCI resets to avoid the high cost of replacing the DME.

That being said - serious buay song factor for the owner is there. Software updates would be futile - might result in high idling. So once the oil level sensor is changed and it's confirmed DME related - leave it alone.

The other ECU prone to failure is the footwell module but that is for the E series - kicks the bucket the moment voltage fluctuates (including battery change) or any resets.

FYI - The 8hp gearbox is also known to flag up false positive shadow codes about the impulse storage unit .... That should be ignored since it does not have one nor need one.

Last edited:
I appreciate your valuable comments, red bean and limpeh. Just cannot take it anymore....miss the days of carbureattors and simple stick-shifts....

I have more patience since I lasted 7 years with PML's servicing. In each of my last two visits, a new fault appears within a few days and the second time immediately after driving off from PML. My car has been in PML's workshop for 11.5 days in 2016 alone. I am very unlikely to buy another BMW although I enjoyed the car very much when it is not giving problems. Now that the car is all fixed, I hope to drive it trouble free for another 2 to 3 years until it is time to change to another brand...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
n88care
Back