Help Engine sludge. what to do?

Re: Help Engine sludge. what to do?

E83_X3;447532 said:
BMW makes cars and even if they test their cars using a certail lube oil brand, how can they guarantee the life of the lube oil up to 25,000 km, when the manufacturer themselves, of the synthetic lubes, only guarantees theirs up to 10,000 km?
:

well maybe BMW ran the test engine for 25km on a constant low load Rpm at controlled temperature...it might just make 25k km.

davidtch;447390 said:
I think a lot of u disagree wif my suggestion to use Diesel Engine Oil. However, i witness a E36 325 with sludge cure with Diesel Engine Oil.

Use it for 1 wk & don't hard rev. After that, change it with your usual engine oil.

Hope this will help u.

I agree that you can use diesel oil to clean your engine because diesel oil has more detergent properties. A lot might not agree on this but look at the label at the back of the bottle especially Castrol. You will see at the back that one of the oil rating is SL which is for gasoline. I have 165,000kms on my 320i using Diesel oil. I change my oil every 5,000 kms and i never follow the recommended oil change interval of PML since i've read so may oil sludge problem. Oil is so cheap, why extend it right?

jinooi;447531 said:
there is no direct connection between valvetronic and engine sludge. as tlkchew can probably tell you (after reading car bibles), even direct engines suffer from engine sludge.

it's not a problem with the engine. it's what oil you use, how often you change the oil, and your driving pattern.

and by the way, the M54 has double vanos - same difference...

I too am not a Valvetronic fan.

He (83X3) did not say that there is a direct connection between Valvetronic and engine oil sludge.
But a Valvetronic engine is designed to run at much higher temperatures and that is the manufacturer-diagnosed root-cause of engine sludge formation, as admitted by BMW AG recently. Thus there is indeed a connection, albeit an indirect one.

For an oil grade and driving pattern being the constants, and engine type as the only variable, a Valvetronic engine will have a higher susceptibility to form sludge over time, faster. Go ask the PML mechanics (like I did) which engines they have had to resolve sludge problems ...... their answer will, without hesitation, be N46 and N52 ..... in that order. Never the N42 or M54 (or earlier engines). That should be proof enough.

As for double VANOS, that's variable valve timing and phase control of inlet and outlet valves. It does NOT utilize any external electric motor to control the valve lift. That is the main issue, and is the key point of contention among many owning Valvetronic engines.

Read this if you will:

Valvetronic: what's the point? - bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Many more can be found in the www.

Yup my current oil change interval from PML is 19,000km. I change out my oil every 6000km travelled at my favourite mechanic. And plus I red line my engine quite frequently, at least a few times per week kekekekeke. Its better to change out more frequently man.

markE39;447582 said:
I agree that you can use diesel oil to clean your engine because diesel oil has more detergent properties. A lot might not agree on this but look at the label at the back of the bottle especially Castrol. You will see at the back that one of the oil rating is SL which is for gasoline. I have 165,000kms on my 320i using Diesel oil. I change my oil every 5,000 kms and i never follow the recommended oil change interval of PML since i've read so may oil sludge problem. Oil is so cheap, why extend it right?

Intrresting! BTW do you run higher rpms with your diesel engine oil?
diesel engine are high torque low rpm engine, and thus the question above?

dude, pls do not take this negatively, but having read through whatever i could find on the internet, i still can't find any connection between valvetronic and engine sludge, direct or otherwise...

there is not even anything about valvetronic engines operating at higher temps than normal. in fact, there is even info about it operating at lower temps - BMW World - Technology

there's quite a bit of info about valvetronic engines not being efficient at revs above 6,000rpm though...

don't get me wrong - i just want to learn more, not trying to prove you wrong or anything... :)

astrid;447599 said:
I too am not a Valvetronic fan.

He (83X3) did not say that there is a direct connection between Valvetronic and engine oil sludge.
But a Valvetronic engine is designed to run at much higher temperatures and that is the manufacturer-diagnosed root-cause of engine sludge formation, as admitted by BMW AG recently. Thus there is indeed a connection, albeit an indirect one.

For an oil grade and driving pattern being the constants, and engine type as the only variable, a Valvetronic engine will have a higher susceptibility to form sludge over time, faster. Go ask the PML mechanics (like I did) which engines they have had to resolve sludge problems ...... their answer will, without hesitation, be N46 and N52 ..... in that order. Never the N42 or M54 (or earlier engines). That should be proof enough.

As for double VANOS, that's variable valve timing and phase control of inlet and outlet valves. It does NOT utilize any external electric motor to control the valve lift. That is the main issue, and is the key point of contention among many owning Valvetronic engines.

Read this if you will:

Valvetronic: what's the point? - bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Many more can be found in the www.

tlkchew;447629 said:
Intrresting! BTW do you run higher rpms with your diesel engine oil?
diesel engine are high torque low rpm engine, and thus the question above?

i just drive it normal. high rev when needed and low rev when not needed :)

jinooi;447674 said:
there's quite a bit of info about valvetronic engines not being efficient at revs above 6,000rpm though...

don't get me wrong - i just want to learn more, not trying to prove you wrong or anything... :)

Great! I think i will keep my RPMs below 6000, and save the earth! Should be intresting read.
got the link?

yeah we're all here to learn. Sometimes there are so much information on the internet that it is hard to discern what is accurate and whats not?

thanks for sharing!

well, it is not a pretty sight. as indicated in my other thread.

My recommendation is to scrap off excess sludge esp those away from the moving parts.
I have tried a wide variety of products over the years. Accidentally, i come xcross this auto-rx thingee.

Then do a two treatments with the products and change to a new filter each time. Trust me, this will be one of the best ever investment. it cleans while u drive.

For those who are have a illusion that their cars are always sludge free. Try it too...After 300Km..you will see how your engine puuuuurr away...Just so much smoother and willing on the throttle.

give u yourself 5 hrs...and do some study yourself...la.

1) google "auto-rx"
2) visit their site at Auto-Rx Engine Cleaner Transmissions Motorcycles Stop Leaky Seals Oil Burning Increase MPG Better Gas Mileage Trouble Shifting ARX

never use a instant engine flush and good lucks..

Hi Jara,
Thanks for the recommendation! appreciate your inputs as with everyone else.

Btw where do you get the auto-rx stuff?

"Try it too...After 300Km..you will see how your engine puuuuurr away...Just so much smoother and willing on the throttle."

if the auto-rx cleans the gunks off the oil after 300km, the oil should be thicker, and contrary to the above, the engine would run rougher, and heavier on the throttle until the oil is changed

Lastly any reason why not to use flush?

Thanks!!
Ken

tlkchew;448833 said:
Hi Jara,
Btw where do you get the auto-rx stuff?

"Try it too...After 300Km..you will see how your engine puuuuurr away...Just so much smoother and willing on the throttle."

if the auto-rx cleans the gunks off the oil after 300km, the oil should be thicker, and contrary to the above, the engine would run rougher, and heavier on the throttle until the oil is changed

Lastly any reason why not to use flush?

Thanks!!
Ken

The cleaning using Auto-rX 3500KM and another 3500km for rinsing. It is a slow process.
I mean after 300km, you will notice some improving how your engine sounds...

Auto-rx dissolve the dirt and let it float in the oil and finally pickup by the oil filter. It does not the affect the oil. Once the dirt or gunks are removed from critical parts. Oil will be able to penetrate better thus giving a smoother ride. u need to use a mineral oil to have better results while using auto-rx. it fixes leaks too if it is due to dirt.

for all your question...on engine flush...it is usually Kerosene based. it does not have any lubricant properties. Chunks of gunks may fell off and blocking the pathway. it is bad for seals. worse, you can never removed the excess by just draining it.

really you can get all the answer in their forum and google "bob is the oil guys."
or Oil Additives - Bob Is The Oil Guy

i get mine from http://www.auto-rx-online.com. a malaysian disty

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8may88vip
Back