Fseries Coding and Disccusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Fseries Coding and Disccusion

Red_Bean_Bun;971923 said:
Sometimes I see the mechanics sweat when they code. And they do this all day. Because they are paid - they have to settle it. And even for them - sometimes it gets awry.

Generally, in the US, its great to share. The assumption is that the group there is already coding their cars and need deeper advice. The culture there is more DIY oriented in the first place.

As an anology - Generally, I would not go to my in laws' place and OFFER to optimize their $2k PC just because I learnt something in a forum. Even if they pay me $20 for transport and a good dinner - I would siam. instead, I'll share some thoughts if they have questions and that's it.

And on the forums - you can always be a keyboard hero. Just looking at the cable topic on this thread - already got problem just on that alone. Imagine someone's car getting bricked. How to run road ? Or be da man and fix it for the noobie ?

Speaking of PC, I used to be asked by my ex's in-law's relatives (" 3 gu 6 po") to fix PCs. Dreaded it, even if I am paid... I'd rather not do it.

As for meeting up, I just like to find out more, grab the software (which is really hard to find), and I will try it myself.

Reminded me of one the incidents, during my younger days, my client's email server was down. I was troubleshooting alone while making 300-500 employees happily celebrating the day off.

Troubleshooting with pressure is not a fun issue, as I grew older, I learnt avoidance unless necessary. And tat's why I have quoted "Code at your own risk". The purposed of the discussion is to share and I definitely won't be coding for you. If those want assurance, I suggest to pay SOUNDWERKZ a visit. (-:

Red_Bean_Bun;971923 said:
Sometimes I see the mechanics sweat when they code. And they do this all day. Because they are paid - they have to settle it. And even for them - sometimes it gets awry.

Generally, in the US, its great to share. The assumption is that the group there is already coding their cars and need deeper advice. The culture there is more DIY oriented in the first place.

As an anology - Generally, I would not go to my in laws' place and OFFER to optimize their $2k PC just because I learnt something in a forum. Even if they pay me $20 for transport and a good dinner - I would siam. instead, I'll share some thoughts if they have questions and that's it.

And on the forums - you can always be a keyboard hero. Just looking at the cable topic on this thread - already got problem just on that alone. Imagine someone's car getting bricked. How to run road ? Or be da man and fix it for the noobie ?

Last edited by a moderator:

I din even bother to fix pc for my father. I rather paid a IT technician for the job while I charge companies for repairing their servers. U see, they are so excited with their computer and can nvber stop calling .lol

detach8;971991 said:
Speaking of PC, I used to be asked by my ex's in-law's relatives (" 3 gu 6 po") to fix PCs. Dreaded it, even if I am paid... I'd rather not do it.

As for meeting up, I just like to find out more, grab the software (which is really hard to find), and I will try it myself.

I bought a WiFi OBD piece of crap that failed after using for one day, so I am going to pull it apart and re-use the OBD head and solder onto an Ethernet cable. Anybody has schematics for a WORKING cable? I think I heard from somewhere I need a resistor too.

detach8;972473 said:
I bought a WiFi OBD piece of crap that failed after using for one day, so I am going to pull it apart and re-use the OBD head and solder onto an Ethernet cable. Anybody has schematics for a WORKING cable? I think I heard from somewhere I need a resistor too.

Got a picture of the wifi obd? Interested to understand how it works.

Meek;972475 said:
Got a picture of the wifi obd? Interested to understand how it works.

It's just a china knock-off ELM327 chip with WiFi capabilities: ELM327 WiFi OBD2 OBDII Wireless Car Diagnostic Reader Scanner Adapter for iPhone | eBay

For info on ELM327 just Google it, a lot of technical details about it. It is quite a simple protocol interpreter that supports various vehicle protocols so it can read some standard data such as RPM, Fuel Level, Fuel Trim, Boost Pressure, Coolant Temp (good for E series folks), O2 sensor reading, Throttle Position, etc. It can read and clear error codes for certain modules but not others (e.g. Airbag cannot).

It also CANNOT be used to do the coding work described in this thread.

As for the WiFi thing, it will broadcast itself as an AP and you can connect your phone to it.

If you are tech savvy, here's a little more for you: The stupid thing does not run DHCP (for $40 I couldn't expect much), so need to assign static IP to your client devices. The device runs a static IP @ 192.168.0.10/24 and a standard telnet interface on TCP port 35000. You can actually telnet to it and issue AT commands and it will give you back the info.

Only some iPhone apps support this ELM protocol. There are a few free ones but they require you to buy the proprietary dongle which costs a lot (but are usually based off the ELM chip, so you get the same limitations anyway).

I know there are the "original" ELM chips, and also the chinese knock off ones. The knock off ones are believed to be v1.0 and the newer versions have added a lot of functionality. But a proper ELM OBD cable (a popular one used by guys building "carputers" is the PLX Kiwi Wifi -- Google it) is hundreds of dollars and I can get a BMW specific cable for a fraction of that money and do *everything* I need on my car so IMHO not worth it unless you are a workshop.

I actually purchased an app called Engine Link for around S$7 and it works very well... until the device stopped working after I left it in the car overnight (overheated maybe?). I didn't know it had power even though the car ignition was turned off until the next day the car complained about battery drain. I intended to use it on wife's Japanese car since it's constantly throwing check engine light due to a faulty O2 sensor.

I *just* bought another one off eBay, but meanwhile since this one has kaput I will just tear it apart and make use of the OBD connector.

*phew* sibey lor sor. Please thank me if you find this useful.

which one got long range ? I would like to watch TV in my aircon room while coding my car .....

detach8;972478 said:
It's just a china knock-off ELM327 chip with WiFi capabilities: ELM327 WiFi OBD2 OBDII Wireless Car Diagnostic Reader Scanner Adapter for iPhone | eBay

For info on ELM327 just Google it, a lot of technical details about it. It is quite a simple protocol interpreter that supports various vehicle protocols so it can read some standard data such as RPM, Fuel Level, Fuel Trim, Boost Pressure, Coolant Temp (good for E series folks), O2 sensor reading, Throttle Position, etc. It can read and clear error codes for certain modules but not others (e.g. Airbag cannot).

As for the WiFi thing, it will broadcast itself as an AP and you can connect your phone to it.

If you are tech savvy, here's a little more for you: The stupid thing does not run DHCP (for $40 I couldn't expect much), so need to assign static IP to your client devices. The device runs a static IP @ 192.168.0.10/24 and a standard telnet interface on TCP port 35000. You can actually telnet to it and issue AT commands and it will give you back the info.

Only some iPhone apps support this ELM protocol. There are a few free ones but they require you to buy the proprietary dongle which costs a lot (but are usually based off the ELM chip, so you get the same limitations anyway).

I actually purchased an app called Engine Link for around S$7 and it works very well... until the device stopped working after I left it in the car overnight (overheated maybe?). I didn't know it had power even though the car ignition was turned off until the next day the car complained about battery drain. I intended to use it on wife's Japanese car since it's constantly throwing check engine light due to a faulty O2 sensor.

I *just* bought another one off eBay, but meanwhile since this one has kaput I will just tear it apart and make use of the OBD connector.

Red_Bean_Bun;972485 said:
which one got long range ? I would like to watch TV in my aircon room while coding my car .....

Get the ENET cable, get a wifi router. Off you go. That's what EleBest is doing.

hi detach8,
Thanks for the sharing. Btw, i think the elm ebay product is from All Categories-Launch Creader VI-ELM327 Bluetooth-Lexia-3-PP2000-Launch X431 Diagun. Can't remember what are the interesting things since i found it few months ago because most items are mainly for Eseries and other cars. You see, I was looking for a way to duplicate my fat car key to E90 type, but in vain..

If you are using the OBD ethernet and facing IP issues, you can try free source dhcp DHCP Server for Windows installing onto your windows xp or 7. It will issue an IP to the car unit.

I heard that we can also telnet to the car ecu , but I'm still lack of password and port number. Beside that, different functions within has its private key in protecting it. Some keys like the map update is easy to break using simple algorithm but some are really tough which need to pay alot of money for the hacking program and it really pointless.

Some ang mor, develop API to perform its coding either with VB or C#. Very straight forward with a user friendly interface unlike E-sys. How I wish, i have time and money to learn from them. (-:

detach8;972478 said:

I know there are the "original" ELM chips, and also the chinese knock off ones. The knock off ones are believed to be v1.0 and the newer versions have added a lot of functionality. But a proper ELM OBD cable (a popular one used by guys building "carputers" is the PLX Kiwi Wifi -- Google it) is hundreds of dollars and I can get a BMW specific cable for a fraction of that money and do *everything* I need on my car so IMHO not worth it unless you are a workshop.

*phew* sibey lor sor. Please thank me if you find this useful.

detach8;972473 said:

there you go. instructions download from here. http://www.f30post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=704810&stc=1&d=1339310785

enet.jpg

marcus28;972166 said:
Reminded me of one the incidents, during my younger days, my client's email server was down....(-:

I always thought you are 28 years old now and many years later. :cool:

marcus28;970693 said:
Hi guys, I'm curious and wonder why coding discussion is not a frequent topic . The alteration of coding can unlock or change the car function's behaviour by just switching 1 or 0. Based on experience and please correct me if you think i'm wrong, altering these functions are safe. Agent will be able to upgrade your ECU software or diagnostic .

Example,

• Auto folding of car's mirror when locking your car with comfort access or key fob
  • Enabling the auto stop and start memory function so that it can remember what was the last setting
  • Same for air con
  • Enable angle eyes when headlight is on
  • Enabling Video in motion
  • blah blah blah.. There are many functions for f10,f20,f30 series and their cheat sheet can be downloaded from
  • Google easily.

Other challenging settings apart from the on off switches as listed above and not recommended and more exploration ( again based on experience, modifiying the VO(vehicle order) without the retrofit detected will failed the software upgrading and diagnostic. Thus, it may lead to voiating the car's warranty term) these include

• Enable BMW apps where you can connect your idrive to facebook, email, sms via your iphone.
  • Traffic information
  • Adding and registering your new installed item with the ecu so to unleashed the item full potential. eg, m performance brake.
  • Hacking into the desire control unit.
  • blah blah blah..

To accomplished the above, you need a laptop , obdII cable , esys software , pdzdata and eidbas
example of 3.18 e_sys(outdated):
View attachment 48711
refer : BMW F30 3 Series Coding DIY - Code Auto Start Stop, DVD, Folding Mirrors, Etc. - BMW 3-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST

Here's the deal, I'm planning to arrange a sharing session by showing you how to connect and code your own car. For those who already know how to code, I'm willingly to share the data and software with you guys but accept for the cable. You need to purchase from me or elsewhere. Below agenda is for the benefit for the first timer.

Agenda:

1. Brief introduction of how is the software installed
2. How to establish the connection between your computer and car
3. Brief introduction of the E-sys interface
4. How to check your ilevel or latest firmware
5. Showing some of the coding process.
6. what are the commonly happened issue to me and how to revert back.
7. Updating your Navigation Map to 2013. We charged a very small fee updating reason to share with you how is it are done, so next time you can do it yourself for the following years.(sorry, we are not allow to do group buy)

Date and venue:
Will update you via PM

1. Marcus28
2. Williammm
3. Meeks
4. Papbear77
5. Radon39
6. Eagle67
7. CMJJ
8. Chazrt
9. ngalan
10. Slow_poke_driver
11. 3005
12. dleong
13. M-Noobie
14.Tri99er
15. Eastmints

PS: Most of the time, i code my own car and I'm sharing whatever i have learnt to you. So please... CODING YOUR OWN CAR AT YOUR OWN RISK! All are welcome though I only know how to code for F10, F20 and F30 only.

Eseries Coders are welcome to join us to share your experience!

Hi bro Marcus28, I am keen to join the meetup to learn. Appreciate that you can PM me the timing and venue of the meet up. Thanks a lot!

Pm sent.. just a sharing session tmr hor, please don't ham tam me with complicated questions. (-:

I didn't get your PM!

Why not share the timing and location rather than PM?

Attendant should understand that it is done on your own risk.

davidtch;973325 said:

scared police raid.... *run away*

Attendees will be doing at their own risk.. As mentioned, I shy mah.

Porky88, you are not joining us?

davidtch;973325 said:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hema
Back