ECU tuning on the F20

sunstorm

hey guys,

I just spoke to a Custom Tuner and he said we finally have a way to tune our F20. However, he needs to purchase a new tuning module which costs around $50K just to tune our rides which has new protection around it.

He currently has 2 customers waiting for the arrival of the tuning module.

So just posting this up as a check and maybe for me to have a further conversation with him.

How many here is keen on ECU tuning?

Current Information
- As the tune is through OBD port and using BMW s/w, the tune will be undetectable guaranteed.

I'm meeting up with him tomorrow for a chat at a "secret" GTG organized from another forum so just putting this out here to see how many would be interested and maybe, just maybe get a GB going.

cheers

< Edit> I met up with the tuner already and things are looking promising. No guarantees but do leave your interest for me to get a headcount to start conversation on tuning the new F-series of BMW with him.

Keen to explore. Also, PM me a number to contact you by. No commitment required.

Nick/Name/Model
1. Sunstorm/Lawrence/F20
2. Darren/F20 116i

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: ECU tuning on the F20

The new F series cars are not using old OBD protocols. It's using an ethernet (computer network) protocol.

Good point. Will ask tomorrow. Could be my mistake as I was ordering my yong tau fu while talking to him on the phone.

Are you interest detach8 if this option is available?

I'm not related to the tuner in any way, just trying to gather interest so that I can explore that option:dance:

detach8;842732 said:
The new F series cars are not using old OBD protocols. It's using an ethernet (computer network) protocol.

sunstorm;842722 said:
As the tune is through OBD port and using BMW s/w, the tune will be undetectable guaranteed.

what happened if the tune is detectable? is the tuner going to honour our warranty instead?
:dramamam:it's gonna be a drama once BMW void the warranty due to a tune...

superlimau;842982 said:
what happened if the tune is detectable? is the tuner going to honour our warranty instead?
:dramamam:it's gonna be a drama once BMW void the warranty due to a tune...

For this resaon, i thot piggyback is better right?

piggyback is safer for warranty perspective...
ecu tuning is best bang for bucks if you want outright power....

Good points. Even if the tuner were to guarantee, is it better than pml or Ma?

Direct no brainer answer here.

But let me provide the now famous adage here

Scared don't mod, mod don't scared.

Most time, despite the guarantees provided, we still have to remember the above phrase.

A piggyback technically is not detected until the agent decides to delve into your ecu and retrieve data logged there. So the answer is Yes, even piggies are detectable.

Hi,

I updated the post above. Do let me know how many are keen to explore and I'll try to organize another GTG for him to talk to the group.

cheers

Piggyback can always remove before going to agent, so how "detectable" is that?

Is it DrH that you talking about?

Hi forrestgum!

Nope. Eurosports tuning.

Sign up and let me organize a GTG for the group. Let's try to keep the group small so we can have a session where we get all the f-series questions answered.

The last session I went to was organized by the vagsg folks.

Forrestgum;843307 said:
Piggyback can always remove before going to agent, so how "detectable" is that?

Is it DrH that you talking about?

so this is a direct software flash. whats the gain and how can be undetectable?

Hi Forrestgum,

Let me get the tuner to explain this. He is willing to put guarantees as his principle who is selling him the kit for the ECU tune is willing to guarantee.

According to him, his tuner is a reputable tuner well known in UK for F1 tuning and so is unlikely to allow his name to be dragged through mud.

That being said, there are many reputable tuners of F1 cars around so best for you to draw your own conclusions when it comes to this.

Hence organizing a small meet up for him to explain.

kelnalevin;844376 said:
when is the small meet up?

Checking interest first. Looks like not many interested.

I'll target the meet up for end July.

Why dun organise an 1er meetup and invite ur speaker... then there will nt only be a handful, but can't handle... haha...

HITMAN;844726 said:
Why dun organise an 1er meetup and invite ur speaker... then there will nt only be a handful, but can't handle... haha...

NICE. when? and where?

Yes it's July, a meetup much needed as the last was in May. Paging for 1984, please organise.

who is 1984?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hb888pro1
Back