Best semi-slick?

Re: Best semi-slick?

compound isnt everything.. for example.. different stiffness on sidewalls will determine different driving style.. as different PSI can be used while not compromising body roll.. and if your car is a 950kg lotus instead of a 1350kg GT3.. you can actually reduce weight further by having a less stiff sidewall tire or lower PSI to gain more grip..

If we are not talking about pro level.. I believe the M PS Cup will give the best timing compared to all the corsa, R888, watever and watever.. its strength lies in its weight.. R888 is more or less value for money.. but not great.. best Jap SS will be A050.. that is the only 1 avaliable to compare with M PS Cup or Corsa.. tested in jap car competition level..

Shaun... I freaking love your signature!!! hahahaahahaha.

As for those celestial graphs of yours..... whoah papa.... I have no idea what they mean but they sure are pretty :)

Mate, just agreed to buy the video vbox, decided I didnt want to go too heavy duty like Kelvin with all his info overload... for the moment.... finally gonna start working on analysis of my driving... next stop is gettin you on board after my bonus comes in. No more modding of my car!!!

Oh yeah. Me likey the Hoosiers.... using them on both the Evo and Porker. Jacko's bad influence...

harold996tt;576795 said:
Shaun... I freaking love your signature!!! hahahaahahaha.

Hahah you liked the old JCVD one too didn't you :D This one was passed to me by a friend who for some reason needs to keep his profile completely serious. Feel free to use it too and spread the mirth.

Mate, just agreed to buy the video vbox, decided I didnt want to go too heavy duty like Kelvin with all his info overload...
There is no such thing as information overload unless the data cannot be understood and used for education or put to practical use for speed and/or reliability. Kelvin's system is still a basic system and there is no information overload for sure.

Here's what I do know though... video analysis (even with some data overlaid on it) will underload you in a matter of 1 or 2 sessions. There are no pro teams that rely on video.... it is more for casual sharing or for entertainment, incident resolution, etc.. And for that purpose....HD is now cheap and everywhere. All serious analysis is done graphically and statistically - mathematically. You need to pick out trends, see transient anomalies, make measurements down to the tenths or hundredths that you're trying to cut - and that just cannot be done with video and overlays... promise!

next stop is gettin you on board after my bonus comes in. No more modding of my car!!!
hahahh you're a big 8 month tease... and you keep saying no more mods, but then piling on the mods with power, magic wheels and tires :D Resist the temptation..

Last edited by a moderator:

jwwu;572502 said:
I'm from the Evo club, where half the posts are about broz meeting for kopi, so will get no traction there...

JW, this is just an excuse and you know it hahhah. Driving a 130K car around with say 20K in parts on it, at roughly 1-2K per trackday, for fun, it is absolutely possible for 5 or so Evo guys to band together and get it done. It's an overlapping expense anyway... just applied in a more controlled manner. The tires, the wheels, will all be used up in the end anyway.

There are already 5 interested Evo guys I'm sure... JW, K, Kv, R, Vt, Ki, Ke.. that's 7 and I'm sure many more outside of these guys too. easily 10-15 total.

The problem is if people think "oh I'll just sit back and wait for them to run the tests and then just note what tire they all switch to later on. Saves me money."

Shaun;576826 said:
There is no such thing as information overload unless the data cannot be understood and used for education or put to practical use for speed and/or reliability. Kelvin's system is still a basic system and there is no information overload for sure.

Here's what I do know though... video analysis (even with some data overlaid on it) will underload you in a matter of 1 or 2 sessions. There are no pro teams that rely on video.... it is more for casual sharing or for entertainment, incident resolution, etc.. And for that purpose....HD is now cheap and everywhere. All serious analysis is done graphically and statistically - mathematically. You need to pick out trends, see transient anomalies, make measurements down to the tenths or hundredths that you're trying to cut - and that just cannot be done with video and overlays... promise!

hahahh you're a big 8 month tease... and you keep saying no more mods, but then piling on the mods with power, magic wheels and tires :D Resist the temptation..

Yeah mate I hear u. It's definitely more for the layman. As for mods... Yeeah damn I promise no more mate! And 8 months is all about foreplay ;) soon my Jedi master... Soon... :)

Good news! Hoosier just merged with Yokohama! The new company is called "Who'sYerMama"

Shaun;577671 said:
Good news! Hoosier just merged with Yokohama! The new company is called "Who'sYerMama"

:lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

Shaun, this is not you......but I like it!!!

More pls!!!

'The Great White'

nope, think dont waste money on that..
get Potenza RE55, ToyoR88 , A050 , Pirelli Corsa, Mich PS Cup...those types of semi slicks

TripleM;624085 said:
nope, think dont waste money on that..
get Potenza RE55, ToyoR88 , A050 , Pirelli Corsa, Mich PS Cup...those types of semi slicks

is the RE55 still in production??

i belive so..has been only 4 yrs or in mkt

i dont think re55 is available anymore. searched a long time for them last year without luck

ah too bad then
so wots the replacement now ?

ADVAN A050 SS.. Medium compound.. best for Sepang track days.. Still able to withstand at least 5 trips up/down NS...

TOYO R888, the sidewall is way too soft.. u can feel the car flexing during corners, esp Turn 5 to 6 transition.. but good price$ for those just seeking better grip than a MAX Summer perf tire..

RE55.. was good, but bad heat management.. as it was developed to be gymkhana SS tire, not one that let's u drive NS, and wack Sepang circuit... alot of ppl experienced blown sidewall for this tire..

Michelin PS cup is not bad.. i find them a bit slippery when the circuit surface is too hot, even when running at around 28psi-30 psi.. Sidewall stiffness is good.. road noise is one of the best amongst the SS tires!! But $$ also sibeh exp!!

Wah long time didnt log in....nice to see the regular chums still very active. cheers to u guys.

Kiddym2 - ur spot on dude...ive tried 3 of those tyres u mentioned except RE55 and ur right the sidewalls did give me. U guys recall what happen to vijay and andy...years ago at Sepang right on RE55.

AO50..still the best for me..might be my own driving style but i sure felt uncomfortable on the Cup tyres..too slippery like u said...just like driving on ice..u just didnt know what was goin on or if u gonna spin off the track. This one for Shaun...and time diff between these 2 tyres was min 1 sec / lap on sepang..same car / no mods ..maybe diff ambient /surface temp ? but by how much ?? cheers..and i hope to c u guys soon.

Rastaman;624454 said:
This one for Shaun...and time diff between these 2 tyres was min 1 sec / lap on sepang..same car / no mods ..maybe diff ambient /surface temp ? but by how much ?? cheers..and i hope to c u guys soon.

Hi Jeremy, long time no see. Is your M3 still with you? Regardless,come back and join us again!

To really compare tires would require back to back testing in close succession (within the same half hour or so) to prevent track conditions from changing. There is also of matching the car setup to the tire. Stiff suspension and an aggressive driver can provide too quick an impulse to a softer tire for it to work as intended.

IMO too many enthusiasts favour overstiff setups that while more comfortable (in the control sense) to drive, hurt grip in longer stints especially in this climate. You will notice that in general, top European dampers and tires tend to be more pliant... this is intentional. Learning to drive relatively 'soft' cars is a skill that is invaluable although the temptation is always to go with stiffer faster response. Other factors may set a minimum stiffness limit for a car, but through all the ranks, in sorted cars, almost always the drivers that can handle soft cars finish ahead. There are a few races that by nature are exceptions to this rule, but they make up perhaps 2% of racing internationally.

None of this post is directed at any person on this thread, it's all in general only ok? Cheers man

agreeing with you on that Shuan.. but i think, the topic asked is for the best Semi Slicks to be used on Road registered cars (BMW, Porky, etc)... I hardly know anyone that is using MOTON, JRZ, Quantum other than a few exceptional bros here who are pretty committed to tracking..

Alot of ppl think the stiffer it is, the better it will handle on the circuit.. which isn't true at all.. but i think most workshops will tell a diff story, as products need to be sold.. Sway bars, Springs, Dampers, etc...bloody hell, there's even SPRING Stifferner... :shakebon:

Hi Adam, cool :) Yes some guys do go Ohlins and they are pretty high quality stuff (gotta look at range I guess) with a soft bias. Totally agree on marketing and sales corrupting issues sometimes hahah.. Cheers mate!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
i9bet9club
Back