will avoid this tyre shop in the future.

snail

Hi, new to the forum.
pardon me for my poor english...

just sharing my personal experience. True encounter.

went over to several shops to check out the price for rims and tyres.
(eg: Top 93 / LS etc)

decided on LS. new 20" rims, new tyres...
balancing was done, LS did alignment for me as well.

Drive ard for 1-2days... steering wheel vibrate like mad ard 120km/hr...

went back to LS, told the boss, infact both came over to attend to me on this issue.
even got their "fore man" to recheck the balancing for the front tyres only..

drive ard for 1-2days again.... same. nothing has changed.
steering wheel vibrate like mad ard 120km/hr again...

went to seek 2nd opinion elsewhere

Guess what.. all 4 tyres balancing off,
to the extend, the worker got to take off 1 of the tyres and reinstall back... citing install wrongly blar blar blar..

seeing the extend of the issue, i worried on the alignment,
told the shop to recheck the car's alignment.

Guess what, haiz....

View attachment 69094

View attachment 69093

i was asking myself, of all the years i have been driving, how can alignment ran off within afew days of alignment being done.
same for balancing as well.

workers sleeping on the job? or just simply too busy and rushing the job? i choose the latter.

i might not be a big spender, tyres and rims ard 3.7K nia... small fish to them lar.

LS is a popular tyre shop.
but this standard???? busy with tons of customers, but gave me sub standard service...

im not related to any shops...

just my 2cents...
snail...

Re: will avoid this tyre shop in the future.

this is also a trick which some shops do....so ur tyre swear out unevenly and faster, best is rim damaged and u have to buy new ones from them sooner

Nice watch....

Thanks for taking the time to highlight issue and shop

the watch caught on me at first. GO to another WS to get it analysed and fixed....

"Snail", good that your problem has been identified.

Taking alignment should be properly done, recalled posting 4 possible issues where recommended check first is if any of the weighs had fallen off... of course never expected such a terrible alignment was done till one of your wheel was "so positive cambered" i.e. opposite to other 3 wheels.

actually for me... im quite simple...
most tyre shop can do a good job... im just the suay fellow.

i believe the other site sponsers here under the tyres section can do a decent job...
different bros have diff ans...

Some say Kenny alignment.

i did my new tire change at LS and alignment too. Seems ok but i didnt try 120km/l yet. shalll try if i have the chance.

hijack this tread. Is the stock alignment for E60 negative camber (not sure if its the correct term but looks like this / \ ) so the wear is faster on the inside? i was told that the stock setting is like that and it wears alot on the inside for E60.

tlcop,

All wheels should have negative camber. Its a matter of how negative it is. Never positive camber.

From the pics of the screen, it shows too much TOE IN instead of CAMBER.
Which might be the actual cause of the steering vibration.

tlcop;1121374 said:
Some say Kenny alignment.

i did my new tire change at LS and alignment too. Seems ok but i didnt try 120km/l yet. shalll try if i have the chance.

hijack this tread. Is the stock alignment for E60 negative camber (not sure if its the correct term but looks like this / \ ) so the wear is faster on the inside? i was told that the stock setting is like that and it wears alot on the inside for E60.

If I remember correctly, E60 and F10 both camber are not adjustable, they are fixed. Only thing can be adjust are the toe.

Snail.... is your 120km/hr vibration problem solved after the 2nd workshop re-adjusted your alignment?

I've been buying tires from LS for more than 10 years and their service have been consistent regardless of the cost of tires.

Did you go back to LS and question on the big difference in alignment?

LS just did wheel alignment for me 3 months ago and the readings didn't change much from the last calibration I did with another workshop 2 years ago. So I guess their equipment is not too far off.

for the sake of the rest,
the symptoms as follows:

when approaching 100km/hr, the steering will vibrate slightly and increase its intensity till ard 120km/hr, after which the vibration will stop.

explain the symptoms to afew workshop, all told me to recheck the wheel balancings. most prob thats the cause.
if possible, do a high speed balancing, which involves spinning the wheel (wheels still attached to car) and the machine next to it...
not many places does this liao...

thus i went back to LS to recheck.
both the boss came out.. (elder brother and the younger one)

redo the balancing again. (foreman did it for me) note: already gave LS a chance to rectify it.

basket.. still the same issue.

note:
how come balancing still can be off?? all weights shift place again? alignment off also... all within less than 1week.
to me, no point going back to LS liao, how many times they want me to go back...

no time to waste on them... get it done and over with...

im pretty sensitive to these as i frequently driving above 150km/hr, at least 1-2 times a week
(no music on.. love to hear the sound of the engine...
thus any weird sound the engine / car produce at such speeds are usually the symptoms to take note of.... )

Have you resolved your wheel vibration? Can your vibration issue be resolved by wheel alignment alone?

snail;1121410 said:
the symptoms as follows:

when approaching 100km/hr, the steering will vibrate slightly and increase its intensity till ard 120km/hr, after which the vibration will stop.

Since new wheels, could be center hub issue too

Minor alignment issue seldom cause vibrations

sandman369;1121508 said:
Since new wheels, could be center hub issue too

Minor alignment issue seldom cause vibrations
That's what I thought too. That's why I asked the TS twice if his issue was resolved through alignment. He have not answered my question yet. I'm really curious to know.

Sometimes running over a big pothole can damage the new rims and causes misalignment too. That happened to me on my new set of rims some 15 years ago. Unfortunately then, it couldn't be repaired.

Paisay, didn't reply ..
Still have some vibration.. But much more better than before.

Point noted on the wheel bore hub thingy.
Saw that previous on my Japanese car though..
But that was years ago...

Any ideas where to buy that ring? I suspose most tyre shops will carry that

snail;1121410 said:
the symptoms as follows:

This was a problem i had some time back when i used to patronize my family friend tire shop. Basically you need to do high speed balancing with the newer advanced machines or the slightly older on wheel balancing machines. I swear by SE tyres (ubi) as long as the taller guy (smoker) does it. I used to drive up to 200km/h up north, and any tyres done by them were issue less.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbocam

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back