Wheel Alignment - Fact or FUD?

Re: Wheel Alignment - Fact or FUD?

kenntona;997266 said:
Your car was pulling one side => alignment issue.

Incidentally, after sorting out everything, you noticed rear ride height "equalised" between both sides.

So, you wanna know if the ride height was causing the steering pull ?

Well, the pulling issue is a few things. It can be alignment, it is also said to be some software issue with the servotronic system. So now at least I know alignment was PART of the issue (note: issue not fully resolved)

Yes, I also realized the height seems equalized. I am curious why or how. That's why I asked if ARB would affect alignment, or vice versa. The only thing I can think of that holds the two sides together is the ARB, and the only thing that can possibly cause the suspension to be so obviously unlevel could be also ARB.

I am NOT sure at this point, but if some bros here suggest that it may be just alignment making the car look like it has funky ride height, it is also a possibility. I did measure, but I used fingers. It was really funny and off. Like 2 fingers off. Quite obvious the gap. And when full tank worse.

no clue... very curious to find out more...
steering feel alright thou... not pull left or right.. but then again.. i have only been driving in the city last two days.. haven't hit highway yet

detach8;997285 said:
I am no expert. but I got a few questions about the printout...
1) Front - how come caster changed? Machine calibration off, or izzit because toe changed?
2) Front - how come camber changed? Machine calibration off, or izzit because toe changed?
3) Rear - How come initial toe correct now all wrong? So much total toe?
4) Why toe out on turns not measured?

Yes, curious about this as well because just changed to KW coilovers a few days ago. Of course alignment is recommended so I did it as well.

With the stock suspension (without any alignment done), it did not pull much. After installing the coilovers + alignment, the pull is slightly worse.

But what is mentioned here about the electric steering makes sense. It's also determined by software and sensors as well. I think I've heard about software updates to attempt to fix the pull issue?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fingers for measuring ride height is not the way to do it. The car is perched on springs. On level ground vs road with imperfections for example ... the ride height would look different.

I had my front camber changed by chopping the pins off. Handling around corners felt better.

Tyre pressure should be checked before alignment as it has an influence on the steering.

And Singapore roads have a slight lateral slope for draining purposes so that need to be taken into account during alignment.

Looks like MA knows what they are doing .....

detach8;997263 said:
My eye cannot tell alignment, but surely can tell ride hight. That's why I am curious. Why does the car look level now. Previously looks one side high one side low. Also if I stuck my fingers in it was 4 fingers vs 2 fingers or something like that.

Adjust the ride height by measuring the coilover threads. If you do it by using your fingers or by measuring the tyre edge to the fenders you might create a problem with the steering e.g pulling.

douggie;997311 said:
Yes, curious about this as well because just changed to KW coilovers a few days ago. Of course alignment is recommended so I did it as well.

With the stock suspension (without any alignment done), it did not pull much. After installing the coilovers + alignment, the pull is slightly worse.

But what is mentioned here about the electric steering makes sense. It's also determined by software and sensors as well. I think I've heard about software updates to attempt to fix the pull issue?

The aligned stats looks better than before alignment......

porky88;997280 said:
bros... changed springs yesterday.. so did alignment... see pics.. how to read? a few of the settings are slight off specs.. does it matter?

before this.. alignment was done by MA as they had replaced steering column... and car was dead center..
View attachment 50900

Red_Bean_Bun;997326 said:
Adjust the ride height by measuring the coilover threads. If you do it by using your fingers or by measuring the tyre edge to the fenders you might create a problem with the steering e.g pulling.
That is also not so accurate lah. More accurate measurement would be to measure the height from wheel centre to highest pt of wheel arch.

detach8;997263 said:
My eye cannot tell alignment, but surely can tell ride hight. That's why I am curious. Why does the car look level now. Previously looks one side high one side low. Also if I stuck my fingers in it was 4 fingers vs 2 fingers or something like that.

Bro, you sure the shocks/springs have set properly?. 2 fingers off is major. Also, if the floor is not level, it can play a part too.
If you still can't solve it, did you check if the set-up have actually cause some wear on the tires that make it pull to one side.
I had a car which I bought new and the alignment was out and the tires wear badly causing the pull to one side and
dealer own alignment shop confirmed alignment causing the problem and they replaced all the tires (Mitsubishi Airtrek Turbo).

My front left wheel has more than -1 degree camber after wheel alignment and I was told it cannot be adjusted :(

Just realised the driver side is about half finger lower on both front and rear... weird
Will probably wait another two weeks for the springs to settle in ..then go MA for alignment again...

Red_Bean_Bun;997327 said:
The aligned stats looks better than before alignment......

Ideally your that partner should be 2x your weight .....

Measuring the coilover thread area with a caliper is the best. Any measurement from wheel to car body etc) requires perfectly leveled ground.

davidtch;997342 said:
That is also not so accurate lah. More accurate measurement would be to measure the height from wheel centre to highest pt of wheel arch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Normal........change to coilover .......get full control of your ride's stance.

porky88;997379 said:
Just realised the driver side is about half finger lower on both front and rear... weird
Will probably wait another two weeks for the springs to settle in ..then go MA for alignment again...

That sounds like hearsay but hopefully it's because LHD/RHD conversion making our driver side sit lower.

BMW already moved the battery from the rear driver side to the middle for the F10, so that should make the car pretty symmetric in terms of weight.

Anyway, quick update.

I think my suspensions have settled down post alignment, and I also got a full tank of fuel yesterday.

Rear driver side still sits lower by about 1cm.

Not sure if there's different thickness spring pads for F10? I don't see the part on RealOEM.

Get a coilover and start adjusting .......

detach8;999202 said:
That sounds like hearsay but hopefully it's because LHD/RHD conversion making our driver side sit lower.

BMW already moved the battery from the rear driver side to the middle for the F10, so that should make the car pretty symmetric in terms of weight.

Anyway, quick update.

I think my suspensions have settled down post alignment, and I also got a full tank of fuel yesterday.

Rear driver side still sits lower by about 1cm.

Not sure if there's different thickness spring pads for F10? I don't see the part on RealOEM.

Red_Bean_Bun;999205 said:
Get a coilover and start adjusting .......

Not too interested in coilovers at this point. Reasons being
1) I've already upgraded to m-sport susp
2) additional cost of the coilover and labor to install + downtime
3) longevity of coilovers questionable

Ignorance is a bliss. Stock is best... cheers........

Ask R2D to have a look .... Maybe he can help balance it up for you .....

detach8;999207 said:
Not too interested in coilovers at this point. Reasons being
1) I've already upgraded to m-sport susp
2) additional cost of the coilover and labor to install + downtime
3) longevity of coilovers questionable

Ignorance is a bliss. Stock is best... cheers........

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s666boston

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back