Wheel Alignment - Fact or FUD?

detach8

Guys, just wanted to share some stuff.

Story

I aligned my F10 after getting a new set of M-sport suspension (springs + shocks + ARBs) off the forum. The alignment was done at a reputable shop in Sin Ming, about 1 week after the install to make sure my suspension has settled down. Costs approx $80.

Before suspension change - car pulling left
Prior to the installation of the suspension I had the well known "pulling left" issue. (US/LHD will report "pulling right"), see: http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/bmw-5-series-owners/67084-f10-steering-pulling-left.html

After suspension change - pulling reduced
After installing the suspension and before alignment, my pulling was reduced, but still there.

After suspension change + align at outside workshop - pulling worse
After alignment, my pulling actually got WORSE.

New discovery - rear suspension not level
Then a month or two later I also noticed my rear suspension was not level, see: http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/bmw-5-...-suspension-one-side-high-one-side-low-2.html

Alignment at BMW dealer - Munich Auto
So yesterday I went to Munich for my regular oil change service, I reported this pulling issue to my SA and he recommended me an alignment. It was really expensive, $200+ to be exact. But since I was there, and that my SA insisted that it would fix the pulling issue, I told them to go ahead.

(I'm not a carrot BTW, I weighed the pros and cons of this -- $80 vs $200+ they'd better do a good job and fix my issue, or I'm going to be bugging them like hell.)

Result

1) My pulling issue was reduced drastically. Now it still pulls a little to the left, but very mild.
2) Surprisingly my rears are now LEVEL. I wonder how did alignment affect suspension height?

Although my SA did not explain much to me (he was running around busy) he kept assuring me that "outside workshop won't be able to do it right", I did my fair share of reading up. Please tell me if the following are facts or FUDs:

1) BMW uses the same alignment machine as most reputable shops - KDS Hunter.

2) BMW uses a different method to attach the alignment sensors to the wheel. Our stock BMW rims have 5 small holes. That's for the sensor! Now we know what that is for. Outside workshops actually clip on the edge of the rim. The use of the 5 small holes will eliminate any rim deformities or any poor mounting of the sensor as it is directly measured on the hub.

3) BMW uses weights for the alignment and does a pre-alignment check for ride height. This is to ensure that under load the cambers (and also indirectly affecting toe) are at the correct angles. Most outside workshops do not do this. Note that when ride height changes, the camber changes, the toe also changes a little, especially in the rear multi-link setup.

4) The alignment machine although made by the same manufacturer, BMW dealer specific ones connect to the car to calibrate the steering angle sensor at the same time. While on hydraulic steering the steering angle sensor merely helps with DSC aka Traction Control, electric powered steering (aka Servotronic found on our F series cars) may have to depend on it to drive straight.

5) Outside workshops will tell you that the front cambers are not adjustable. This is not true. On some models (not sure about my F10 -- cannot find info yet) there is a little pin that can be removed to make small adjustments to the camber on the front.

I know the F10 (and F01, and some other newer BMW cars) have more advanced suspension especially up front - double wishbone (vs the old Mcpherson Struts). I am not sure if all these contributed to the funny issues I had.

Question - does ARB affect alignment?

I am hoping somebody from MA can clarify this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Wheel Alignment - Fact or FUD?

does that means can only go back to AD to do alignment?

then PI BMW all jialat liao ?

wt_know;997224 said:
does that means can only go back to AD to do alignment?

then PI BMW all jialat liao ?

That's what I don't know.

Who else can calibrate the steering angle sensor?

PI car can go back and align. Pay $ only wat. $200 leh.

detach8 said:
5) Outside workshops will tell you that the front cambers are not adjustable. This is not true. On some models (not sure about my F10 -- cannot find info yet) there is a little pin that can be removed to make small adjustments to the camber on the front.

On many previous models, this has been done - can get someone like Mike/SWC to chop off the pin BUT the process is not reversible, or akin to installing a camber plate. And this process is very different from adjusting camber.

detach8 said:
Question - does ARB affect alignment?

No. Any mod which does not affect the toe, camber and castor - no need alignment.

kenntona;997229 said:
No. Any mod which does not affect the toe, camber and castor - no need alignment.

Then how is it possible that post-alignment by MA my rear suspensions are level.

AFAIK the only thing connecting both sides is the ARB.

i also read that installing aftermarket coilover that replace the entire suspension eliminate the pulling left effect

if this is true ... then it's nothing to do with simi angle sensor ... it's the whole suspension

even F10 M5 also got suspension problem that requires entire set to be replaced, not related to this

On top of that, with the new front double wishbone, cambers should be adjusted with the arms, not the struts. So I am not sure for F01/F10 there's the pin there. Later if I remember I will pop my bonnet and take a look.

detach8 said:
Then how is it possible that post-alignment by MA my rear suspensions are level. AFAIK the only thing connecting both sides is the ARB.

Wait - you are talking suspension height.

Have you got the readings of alignment numbers PRE and POST?

For F10, $200 is damn cheap already hor.

For my JDM, it is about $120. But this unker is meticulous as he takes a lot of time to do it.

kenntona;997247 said:
Wait - you are talking suspension height.

Have you got the readings of alignment numbers PRE and POST?

Sorry, did not take actual readings. My eyeballs and fingers quite sufficient though. It was really obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:

davidtch;997251 said:
For F10, $200 is damn cheap already hor.

For my JDM, it is about $120. But this unker is meticulous as he takes a lot of time to do it.

Is it AESOP?

detach8 said:
Sorry, did not take actual readings. My eyeballs and fingers quite sufficient though. It was really obvious.

Your eyeball can tell changes in castor, camber and toe?

Ride height and these variables can be inter-connected, but are you confusing alignment = height?

kenntona;997260 said:
Your eyeball can tell changes in castor, camber and toe?

Ride height and these variables can be inter-connected, but are you confusing alignment = height?

My eye cannot tell alignment, but surely can tell ride hight. That's why I am curious. Why does the car look level now. Previously looks one side high one side low. Also if I stuck my fingers in it was 4 fingers vs 2 fingers or something like that.

Your car was pulling one side => alignment issue.

Incidentally, after sorting out everything, you noticed rear ride height "equalised" between both sides.

So, you wanna know if the ride height was causing the steering pull ?

Could it be the suspension after changing had not settled yet?

I dun think rear ride height will do much to ur steering imo. But i could be wrong, i'm not that technical.

OT: My best alignment experience was at stamford tuas in my E34. The old dude mech. really meticulous, align, then went out for drive, back up the lift again and make more small adjustments and back for a drive again *repeat* until everthing swee swee.

detach8;997257 said:
Is it AESOP?
NO. South East.

For ride height, there are many measurement method. I used wheel arch to centre of wheel nut. Eye cannot tell the diff in CM.

bros... changed springs yesterday.. so did alignment... see pics.. how to read? a few of the settings are slight off specs.. does it matter?

before this.. alignment was done by MA as they had replaced steering column... and car was dead center..
View attachment 50900

I am no expert. but I got a few questions about the printout...
1) Front - how come caster changed? Machine calibration off, or izzit because toe changed?
2) Front - how come camber changed? Machine calibration off, or izzit because toe changed?
3) Rear - How come initial toe correct now all wrong? So much total toe?
4) Why toe out on turns not measured?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back