Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups

What an expensive day! Starter motor replacement.

Re: What an expensive day! Starter motor replacement.

leebmer;1105270 said:
My alternator change with one site sponsor WS was $1500.. Learnt a few things since then..

1/ Confirm part and labour cost before proceeding.. always itemise the part and labour..
2/ After comparing notes with my good buddy, I realised the WS was too expensive ("overcharge"?).. and moved on..

I had my alternator broke down too. Managed to get to Eng Soon to buy the part (about $480) and towed car to Boss Motorsports (site sponsor) to change. It was almost evening, and they were the only ones who were willing to help. They told me that since I got the part myself, they have to mark-up on their usual labour - I thought that was fair. Eventually, they charged me $120+GST for labour. All these were in 2012 and I'm sure prices have crept up since - so don't quote these prices please. I keep receipts, so I would know.

Anyway, $1500 for the alternator replacement may be expensive for you, but some people here may find it reasonable (??). While you may have moved on, but unless you shared it here and also share which workshop you went to, another unsuspecting bmw owner who may think that $1500 is not a fair value that they are willing to pay, will inadvertently walk into this workshop and have to also "move on" thereafter.

I believe that we should not rant or complain about mechanics or workshops here - especially site sponsors (they help keep this forum alive, no?), but at its core, this forum is about sharing information, no? =)

Re: What an expensive day! Starter motor replacement.

Which are the good n bad ones? Too bad cannot openly say here

Back