"To me"

ryan

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Re: "To me"

Pek,

I'm afraid personalisation of the forum is only limited to viewing threads that you have posted in. Phpbb doesnt' allow some of the delphi functions to work due to it's programming nature. I agree, the 'to me' function is very useful.

Well, reason why im not putting a 're-launch' thread is because i feel it's good to let this forum run a little while in the meantime, and let them slowly come over and try out. Trying to be truthful here, i see delphiforums being there for some time....but ill just let this forum be here to let non-paying delphi members post up and upload stuff.

no need to force anyone to come over.. heh.

cheers bro.

Pek said:
Ryan,
Sorry first I don;t know much about computer and programing, but got one suggestion here don't know can work.
1. At delphi, when I log on, I see how many "to me" messages. Then I can straight away see the messages for me first then read others when I free. Somemore, at delphi, I can see a particular message is for me, rather than keep on posting on and on. (unless got "quote")
As I said, I know nothing about programing, forgive me if this cannot work for phpBB. :laughlik:

Plus: Don't you want to re-post a link to old delphi forum to pull some members over? Last time, you post "re-launch" I nearly didn't see since it is not an obvious topic for a new opening for our forum.

Oh, but I just afraid some members don't aware of this new forum? But I also understand the pressure of putting up the link again :| Just look at the latest post about this forum... :( Why must like this... :screwedu:

Well bro, nothing to be worried about.. i guess it takes time.

I was very prepared for this scenario to happen..as it did last year. Anyways, no worries really. I have some really great ideas that im going to do for the website...but that'll will take some time :):)

cheers!

Pek said:
Oh, but I just afraid some members don't aware of this new forum? But I also understand the pressure of putting up the link again :| Just look at the latest post about this forum... :( Why must like this... :screwedu:

ryan said:
Pek,

I'm afraid personalisation of the forum is only limited to viewing threads that you have posted in. Phpbb doesnt' allow some of the delphi functions to work due to it's programming nature. I agree, the 'to me' function is very useful.

Well, reason why im not putting a 're-launch' thread is because i feel it's good to let this forum run a little while in the meantime, and let them slowly come over and try out. Trying to be truthful here, i see delphiforums being there for some time....but ill just let this forum be here to let non-paying delphi members post up and upload stuff.

cheers bro.

ryan, 2 feedbacks for you.

1. you can incoporate the to-me function (a variant) through some enhancement along with phpbb hack http://phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=1392

2. you cna also create a delphi style that gives the mass a old look and feel of the forum. You want to build content in the forum, and the people is the key to that. It's a chicken and egg thing, but only when you attract pple to the forum, contribute, then pple will start to change.

Hi zenkinz,

thanks for the input. got two problems when i did go through 1 and 2 tho.

1. I went through the codes of the hack,doesn't apply to the new and updated forums. Appranently it's quite outdated. Hopefully there will be a fix for the latest forum version. :verysad:

2. If i did change the layout of the forum, future software updates to the forum would be really difficult indeed. Some of which changes would be to the database (no issue) but the more difficult parts would be to the current layout. It won't be an issue now, but it will be in a year.

-cheers
ryan

zenkinz said:
ryan said:
Pek,

cheers bro.

1. you can incoporate the to-me function (a variant) through some enhancement along with phpbb hack http://phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=1392

2. you cna also create a delphi style that gives the mass a old look and feel of the forum. You want to build content in the forum, and the people is the key to that. It's a chicken and egg thing, but only when you attract pple to the forum, contribute, then pple will start to change.

1. it works on 2.0.6 at least I know :p I also modify the code so that it appears as "In reply to this message by so-and-so" instead of "In reply to this message"

2. the change of template I am suggesting is just a temporary. Do the bare minimal template, and enable first-time users to get used to the forum less the look & feel. Let put it as part of roadmap on how you are going to support the 'delphi style' template, but overtimes, pple will start to switch the look & feel, once they find the other usefulness aspect of new tools. I don't recommend you to use a 'delphi style' permanently, because you will limit the capability and end up with no ROI by switching to the new forum tool.

ryan said:
Hi zenkinz,

1. I went through the codes of the hack,doesn't apply to the new and updated forums. Appranently it's quite outdated. Hopefully there will be a fix for the latest forum version. :verysad:

2. If i did change the layout of the forum, future software updates to the forum would be really difficult indeed. Some of which changes would be to the database (no issue) but the more difficult parts would be to the current layout. It won't be an issue now, but it will be in a year.

-cheers
ryan

zenkinz said:
ryan said:
Pek,

cheers bro.

Ah i see, could you send me posting.php?
would like to have a look at it.
Been looking through it, still i can't to fit in some of the code in certain areas.

Do keep me updated.

Well, as for the changing of template, i'm not too sure whether i would want to take that route for now. Lingering in my mind, but still unsure :)

Looked through vagsg.com, looks great really. but i dont think i'll be taking the mx system route anytime soon. Who knows. I just might :)

thanks!

zenkinz said:
1. it works on 2.0.6 at least I know :p I also modify the code so that it appears as "In reply to this message by so-and-so" instead of "In reply to this message"

2. the change of template I am suggesting is just a temporary. Do the bare minimal template, and enable first-time users to get used to the forum less the look & feel. Let put it as part of roadmap on how you are going to support the 'delphi style' template, but overtimes, pple will start to switch the look & feel, once they find the other usefulness aspect of new tools. I don't recommend you to use a 'delphi style' permanently, because you will limit the capability and end up with no ROI by switching to the new forum tool.

ryan said:
Hi zenkinz,

-cheers
ryan

zenkinz said:
ryan said:
Pek,

cheers bro.

I made two changes, one in posting.php and another in viewtopic.php

posting.php - so that reply post does not replicate the quote functionality
Code:
/*$message = '[quote="' . $quote_username . '"]' . $message . '[/quote]';
*/
                        if ( $mode == 'quote' ) 
			{
				$message = '[quote="' . $quote_username . '"]' . $message . '[/quote]';
			}
                        else
                        {
				$message = '';
                        }

viewtopic.php to show the in-reply-to poster username
Code:
//
// Okay, let's do the loop, yeah come on baby let's do the loop
// and it goes like this ...
//

//
// VagSG v 1.186.2.32.1 Begin
//
$reply_to_user = array();
//
// VagSG v 1.186.2.32.1 End

//

for($i = 0; $i < $total_posts; $i++)
{
	$poster_id = $postrow[$i]['user_id'];
	$poster = ( $poster_id == ANONYMOUS ) ? $lang['Guest'] : $postrow[$i]['username'];

$post_date = create_date($board_config['default_dateformat'], $postrow[$i]['post_time'], $board_config['board_timezone']);

$poster_posts = ( $postrow[$i]['user_id'] != ANONYMOUS ) ? $lang['Posts'] . ': ' . $postrow[$i]['user_posts'] : '';

$poster_from = ( $postrow[$i]['user_from'] && $postrow[$i]['user_id'] != ANONYMOUS ) ? $lang['Location'] . ': ' . $postrow[$i]['user_from'] : '';

$poster_joined = ( $postrow[$i]['user_id'] != ANONYMOUS ) ? $lang['Joined'] . ': ' . create_date($lang['DATE_FORMAT'], $postrow[$i]['user_regdate'], $board_config['board_timezone']) : '';

$poster_avatar = '';

//
// VagSG v 1.186.2.32.1 Begin
//
        $reply_to_post_id = $postrow[$i]['post_id'] ;

$reply_to_user[ $reply_to_post_id ] = $poster;
//
// VagSG v 1.186.2.32.1 End

//

I will pm you the codes (viewtopic.php and posting.php)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mission86

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back