The BMW Driving Experience - Advanced Level@Pasir Gudang

Mockngbrd

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The BMW Driving Experience

20 Jul 2012 Author: Louis Soon In: BMW 3 Series, BMW General, BMW Models, Local News, Reviews
P1150301.jpg

P1150072.jpg

Over the weekend, while most people in sunny Singapore were happily sound asleep on a early Sunday morning. A small group of drivers, after deciding that sleeping in was passe, hopped onto a bus and headed off to Pasir Gudang circuit. Home-base to what used to be called The BMW Driver’s Training School, now re-branded as The BMW Driving Experience. The courses are tiered for progressive learning, starting with the Advanced level and culminating in an Intensive level. For today, i was headed back to school at the advanced level.

P1150076.jpg

The name may be new but the training that goes on is as relevant now as it was many years ago back in year 2000 when Performance Motors, with the aim of educating safer drivers for the roads, started this training programme. I should know, as i have attended the same programme almost 6 years ago, back in 2006. As i realized later on, in this short span of time, small little bad habits seemed to have made their way back into the way i drive. More on that later.

P1150089.jpg

With a full day of activities lined up ahead of us (although, it didn’t look like much on paper), the instructors wasted no time during the briefing in the morning. Subjects covered during the morning theory lessons included the all important hows and whys of our seating position, braking reaction times, speeds and distances, as well as the forces acting on our vehicles as we brake, accelerate and approach corners.

It might sound a little dry right now, but all these will actually be part of what you will experience later on in the day.

P1150091.jpg

P1150092.jpg

Interestingly, we had a film crew with us for the day.

P1150096.jpg

After being split into 3 groups of 3 cars each, we headed off for some warmup exercises through the slaloms at the amazing speed of…… (drumroll)…… 20km/h(tops!).

P1150105.jpg

Doesn’t sound very exciting right? But with the instructors outside eyeballing our steering techniques, it didn’t take long for some drivers to start rolling over the poor innocent cones. Here was also where i found out my bad steering habits had begun to creep in again and correcting these habits again, took some mental conditioning. Lucky for the cones though, they stayed safe throughout my slow but steady progress.

P1150112.jpg

The all important 9-3 position. Made even more accurate with 2 watches i guess.

P1150109.jpg

Warming up exercises done, off to the main events. Throughout the day, the syllabuses taught would include, emergency braking, emergency lane changing with and without the brakes, as well as punching the cars into under and over-steer modes.

P1150079.jpg

P1150085.jpg

P1150087.jpg

With the latest arrival of the new F30 3 series on our local roads, the E90s previously used have now been updated with an entire fleet of twin-scrolled force-fed 328i’s, partnered with some almost new Pirelli running shoes.

P1150099.jpg

I say “almost” because there was a previous training session just a day before mine which had these rubbers absolutely brand new, so ours were a day-ish-older.

P1150119.jpg

The surface was given a liberal coating of soapy water at some points in an effort to preserve the tires too.

P1150129.jpg

I was slotted into Group B, which i think is probably the best group to be in. Why? Because we would end the training session with some fun over-steery action! But to start off, we headed to the emergency braking station where most drivers will be quick to realize that what a full 100% application of the stopping pedal meant. Exercises here will teach drivers about speed in relation to stopping distances as well as a short brake test where with a cone placed at a set point, we’d have to gauge where was best to engage full brake pressure to stop as close as possible to the cone. I pretty much found the magic braking point but i’m not going to share it. You’d have to go and find out on your own.

P1150123.jpg

P1150132.jpg

P1150126.jpg

Yes, plenty of cones met their demise here.

P1150133.jpg

P1150129.jpg

Stopping too early was a no-no as well.

P1150135.jpg

Perfection.

P1150137.jpg

P1150139.jpg

Next up, the emergency lane changes, easier said then done, but with good practice and conditioning, you’d start to get the hang of it pretty quick.

P1150148.jpg

P1150153.jpg

The exercises here give drivers a sense of how even small increases in speed will cause the car to react differently in emergency situations.

P1150155.jpg

P1150157.jpg

It might be just a 10km/h increase, but when the unexpected comes up, that small increment in speed might be the difference in a successful or unsuccessful avoidance maneuver.

P1150159.jpg

If the flattened cones could speak, they’d back me up on that last statement.

P1150161.jpg

P1150162.jpg

P1150163.jpg

Again, practice makes perfect.

P1150177.jpg

P1150178.jpg

The instructors taught us how to boogie when we were waiting.

P1150190.jpg

P1150193.jpg

P1150208.jpg

P1150203.jpg

P1150207.jpg

These emergency lane changes also gave the drivers a chance to feel how the new BMWs react to such sudden and almost violent inputs. But needless to say the F30s with their awesome balance, performed perfectly.

P1150204.jpg

P1150210.jpg

P1150209.jpg

Well… Almost perfectly, as the above images show, the most important bit is still the person sitting behind the wheel.

P1150216.jpg

P1150249.jpg

Heading towards the skidpan was a welcome sight to see. With a nice big open space and plenty of water to soak up the tarmac, it just looked like a playground to me!

P1150217.jpg

P1150229.jpg

P1150232.jpg

In the understeer and oversteer stations, the exercises here demonstrates what happens when the car loses grip up front and down back. With the traction systems turned off, we learnt how to induce and recover from situations when the cars were not behaving as they should. As well as learning how effective the computer systems are in helping us stay on the road.

P1150246.jpg

P1150247.jpg

My favourite part of the lesson? Oversteer baby! I know i shouldn’t but instead of listening to the instructor and coming off the over with a quick release of the throttle and corrective steering, i tried my best to just ease off the throttle and maintain the slide as long as i could. It was just tooooo much fun and there aren’t many chances like this, so… dori dori mode on!

P1150234.jpg

P1150242.jpg

As you can see, the day’s events took their toil on the new F30′s shiny new bodywork.

P1150252.jpg

P1150256.jpg

P1150262.jpg

P1150248.jpg

Try doing this to your own car.

P1150282.jpg

The tyres after a full day of abuse.

P1150264.jpg

F30 328i battle ready.

P1150271.jpg

P1150272.jpg

P1150273.jpg

P1150274.jpg

P1150276.jpg

P1150280.jpg

After the last training session all participants were given a joyride in the cars for a preview of the next stage of driver training, the intensive level, where reverse flicks and full circle driftings would be taught properly and not just incurred by over-zealous students who have watched too many tofu delivery videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg1n3DeNtgk

We were also all given another taxi ride around the track with the instructors bringing us round with some more ‘spirited’ driving, this ensured lots of fun but at the same time, the fun was rather short lived as we made our way back into the pits in record time.

P1150284.jpg

At the end of the day, we were pitted against each other in a series of timed slalom runs. Each driver will have 2 chances at setting their best run. Knock a cone down and 2 seconds will be added to the total time, stop outside the designated stopping zone and 10 seconds will be added. These penalties of course presented some added pressure to everyone here. Going fast alone will not help you.

P1150285.jpg

Flashback to my earlier training session in 2006, where i tried going balls out and failed, i decided to play it safe here and just be smooth. With hours of training under the guidance of Playstation 3 and Gran Turismo 5, i managed to set my first timed run within the 24 second range but sadly, i ran a cone down which added 2 seconds to the run.

P1150289.jpg

2nd time round, happily i nailed in again in the 24 second range without running anything down. Gotta thank Kaz Yamauchi for that. A good enough time to bring home the fastest timed run and keep the BMW-SG flag flying high!

P1150305.jpg

So, you might ask what is the point of this drivers training and if there is any relevance to driving on our local roads. Well, the short answer is yes, it definitely is relevant, although all these exercises take place in the safe confines of a track, the lessons you learn here will stay with you every time you get behind the wheel. The emergency techniques taught and conditioned into you with repetition might one day save your car and your life should such situations ever unfold when you are driving on the streets. Personally i have had a few occasions where these emergency techniques had come into play to help me avoid some nasty situations.

P1150279.jpg

It might have been an awesome day of fun, but the takeout of the BMW Driving Experience will always be the same, to develop safer and confident drivers, able to react and handle any situation on the road.

If you ever have the chance to participate in the BMW Driving Experience, i’d always say, go for it. You don’t just go home with a t-shirt, a certificate and a smile, You go home a better driver with skills and an experience to last a longtime to come.

To participate, the Advanced level is open to anyone aged 21 years and above with a valid driver’s license for more than 3 years. Participants who have successfully completed the Advanced level are eligible to progress to the Intensive level.

BMW owners are eligible for preferential rates and corporate packages are also available.
For further information on participation, please contact the BMW Driving Experience hotline at, +65 6223 1090 or email: [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: The BMW Driving Experience - Advanced Level@Pasir Gudang

I can see that you had an excellent weather on that day. I attended the day before you..... we had a freaking torrential shower almost the whole afternoon!!!

Which turns out to ... well-intended. We can really feel how wet road can affect the performance of the car. We didn't need soapy water, the whole damn place is slippery enough.

Cheers!

How much did you pay for the session?

Most of the guys I went with on that day did not pay for it. It's part of the driving experience program when they purchase their cars from PML.

For my case, it's complimentary as well because it's a corporate sales program tie up between BMW Asia and my organization when I bought my F10.

Cheers!

On Yahoo SG
Becoming a safer driver | Fit to Post Autos - Yahoo! News Singapore

Becoming a safer driver

By Cheryl Tay | Fit to Post Autos – Mon, Jul 30, 2012

The BMW Driving Experience is a one-day advanced level course conducted five times a year by Performance Motors … After that horrendous tragic accident between a Ferrari and a taxi, one of the issues raised was to have drivers of high performance cars go through driving courses to prepare them before driving those cars.

While that is a viable option to be considered by carmakers, there are such courses existing for drivers to participate at their own will. I've attended driving courses by several carmakers before, the most recent being the BMW Driving Experience conducted at J Circuit in Johor, Malaysia.
Formerly known as the BMW Advanced Driver Training, this one-day advanced level course is conducted five times a year by Performance Motors Limited (PML), authorised distributor for BMW cars and motorcycles in Singapore.

The objective is to provide driving pleasure, education and entertainment in a controlled and safe environment, while allowing drivers to understand the limits of technology and driving skills.

At the invitation of Pirelli Singapore, I was part of the group of 30 participants.

Arriving at the circuit after getting through the slight mayhem of the immigration points at the Causeway, the day began with morning refreshments at the hospitality room.

Then it was time for a theory lesson on driving dynamics in the lecture room before we were released onto the track to start applying the knowledge we have learnt in simulated practical situations and also correct any bad driving habits that we might have. Steering position and sitting posture are amongst the most common.

We started with a simple double-handed slalom where all cars (we were assigned three to a car) went left and right at 20km/h. This was only a warm-up exercise hence the low speed. It was also to ensure that all drivers were keeping the three-to-nine steering position, which admittedly, is a habit that not many adopt.

The next technique we did was emergency braking on intentionally soaped-up ground where we took the car up to speeds of 70km/h and had to slam hard on the brakes to bring it to a screeching stop.

Once familiar with the relation of speed and braking distance, we were challenged to judge the braking distance by having to stop right at a cone placed in the middle of the lane by the instructor. Sitting posture is important here, as we had to sit close enough so we could forcefully apply the brake pedal to the floor swiftly.

Next we did Brake, Swerve & Stabilise where we took the car up to speeds of 70km/h and as the name of the exercise suggests, brake hard and swerve at the same time to avoid an obstacle, before stabilising the car.

After all that braking, it was time for some emergency lane change without braking. We first practised by choosing to switch suddenly to the left or right at our own choice, without braking. After a few tries, we were told over the walkie-talkie left or right only when approaching the obstacle, so as to test our reaction times and reflexes.

The last exercise was understeer (where the front tyres lose grip) and oversteer (where the rear tyres lose grip). Under wet conditions, we experienced the both situations without the dynamic stability control first, and then felt for ourselves how these technologies aid us in emergencies.

This programme has no racing between the participants, just a simple timed slalom which we took turns on and some hot laps by the instructors. No, you will not be taking the car round the track for any laps!

Other than teaching us the correct driving habits, the series of the defensive driving techniques we went through are relevant to our daily driving, helping us to assess and overcome situations on the road.

Khairil Anwar, the lead instructor for the BMW Driving Experience, shared with me how one of the challenges he faces is in breaking drivers' bad habits. For example, the most common habits that drivers have are the steering position not being at three-to-nine, bad sitting posture and an incorrect line of sight.
"The purpose of this course is to condition yourself in defensive driving. Line of sight is very important — you have to look at where you want to go. If you look at the obstacle you will likely end up at it," said Khairil who is the training department head of aftersales at Performance Motors when he is not coaching the BMW Driving Experience.

The instructors during the driving course. (Photo courtesy of www.Cheryl-Tay.com)

Course fee is S$1,350 per driver and includes a welcome pack, buffet lunch, morning and afternoon refreshments, transport in and out of Malaysia and the full-day course using their cars so you don't need to use your car and worry about insurance, risks or wear and tear. Customers of Performance Motors will get preferential rates.

Given the certificate of completion for this advanced level, I am now eligible for the intensive level that is held once a year.

ello u go how many thousand times ah....too free ah...kekekekek

Keep us updated. I found the first course a little too expensive. Maybe in the regions of $600-800 would be a good price. Not sure about the advanced level course.

in 2007

advance driver training = $500
intensive driver training = $1500

Edit: I meant the intensive course in this case. I already attended the advanced course that costs me close to $1,000.

I'm paying $945 for the Advanced course - that's the discounted price for BMW owners.

The price before discount for Intensive course is $2200!

The BMW Driving Experience - Advanced Level@Pasir Gudang

expensive. lucky i am not paying.

just enquired too and they are full for Dec already.. for current owners its $945. :)

Darth Vader;897556 said:
in 2007

advance driver training = $500
intensive driver training = $1500

yea...that time Keith....shiok

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member