Mockngbrd

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SG tied with Zurich

News Headlines

6. Singapore (Tied)

trickle-down.jpg

Singapore, like other Asian financial centers, has seen a big inflow of expatriates, which has pushed up the cost of housing and other living costs.

The city has been moving up Mercer’s most expensive cities list, rising two spots this year from eighth in 2011 and 11 th in 2010. Known for its high property prices and rents compared to the rest of Southeast Asia, Singapore is also an extremely expensive place to own a car. The permit to buy a new car can cost anywhere between $46,000 to over $67,000. Prices of these 10-year permits, known as Certificate of Entitlement (COE), have jumped 40 percent since the beginning of this year.

An average Toyota Vios subcompact costs $85,700 including the permit, up from about $60,000 at the beginning of the year, according to motoring website SGcarmart.com.

Given the steep cost of living in Singapore, expat salaries are also correspondingly high. According to a survey by HSBC more than half of expats in Singapore earned more than $200,000 in 2011, making it the country with the highest expat salaries in Asia. Expats in Singapore need to have larger incomes than their home countries to maintain their standard of living. About 82 percent of expats surveyed said they were more likely to spend more money on accommodation, while 65 percent said they would spend more on food in 2011 compared to the global average of around 50 percent.

516e3baa83495d712d9a0ede49f0e3a3_330.jpg

iLJhb.gif

Monthly Rent, Luxury 2 Bedroom: $3,588
Cup of Coffee: $5.18
One Gallon of Gasoline: $6.55
Daily International Newspaper: $3.59
Fast-Food Meal: $5.66

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Swiss standard of living is here!!!

Please do not mix up cost of living and standard of living.

Cold Storage's KRAFT cheese, despite more expensive, is the same as NTUC's KRAFT cheese. Expensive does not mean anything.

kentonna quality post

+1

Wahhh.. foreign a$$ looks good, foreign fart smells even better. Trust me. Inhale deep deep please. Come let's do it together peasants. It smells better than any fresh air you had experienced before. Wow, this is 7 heaven.

huat ah! last heard salary at $1.1M might affect someone standard of living

According to a survey by HSBC more than half of expats in Singapore earned more than $200,000 in 2011, making it the country with the highest expat salaries in Asia. Expats in Singapore need to have larger incomes than their home countries to maintain their standard of living

Last edited by a moderator:

COST of Living here is high and ranked 6th in e World - I am surprised it is not higher.
Swiss Standard of Living here - I m very very very doubtful.

Non Swiss Standard of Living x High Cost of Living + CPF = We in SG r suckees to be continously sucked by e suckers.

Coffee shop coke - $1.30
Kopithiam Changi City point - $1.60
Buy at NTUC $0.50
Hotel - $12.00++

I am sure the coke come from same factory & sold into the same market at different place.

I don't think we are more expensive than swiss lah. Our basic necessities w/o house and car are cheaper.

but house is one item MOST expensive that people slog their whole life to pay it off

detach8;836207 said:
I don't think we are more expensive than swiss lah. Our basic necessities w/o house and car are cheaper.

One big difference between swiss and us is the income gap. Swiss gap is narrower. Sg one is appalling big if you peel it open (against garment resistance to downplay it) to scrutinise.

Other differences include the swiss has good employment and retrenchment packages. They do not have many EU or non-EU vultures who come in and snatch jobs away. Oh and swiss are happy people, i.e they don't work long hours and have plenty of alps to ski and chalets to go bbq. That is good quality of life. Spore is pent-up and stressful place. Hence I would say Spore is more comparable with HK which the authorities refuse to admit lah.. obviously because they think we are more 'high-crass'.

On the swiss employment and retrenchment packages, you will be amazed how good they are. Legally, they can't be fired without X months of compensations regardless civil service or private sectors. If you are lucky to work for one of the several big banks in swiss, your employment package may also include living expenses, childcare benefits, school benefits and good salaries. Mind you, this is extended even if they move to Spore to work as expats, i.e. expat packages. Many PBankers I know had moved to Spore with such perks. Not surprising they can rent expensive condos and houses in Tanjong Rhu, Meyer rd, 6th Avenue etc. So again, the Woffles who own these expensive condos are happy. The peasants are f**ked.

Best is to earn Swiss pay and spend it in Asia. For example, former UBS Country Head of Operations Juerg Buergin was so pleased with the ‘services’ of the underage prostitute marketed by an online vice syndicate that he patronized her twice. He reportedly spent S$1,250 to have sex twice with the underage prostitute who was 17 years old at that time in two five star hotels – Hilton and Marina Mandarin hotels.

Swiss standard of prostitution here !!!

DrK;836219 said:
One big difference between swiss and us is the income gap. Swiss gap is narrower. Sg one is appalling big if you peel it open (against garment resistance to downplay it) to scrutinise.

Other differences include the swiss has good employment and retrenchment packages. They do not have many EU or non-EU vultures who come in and snatch jobs away. Oh and swiss are happy people, i.e they don't work long hours and have plenty of alps to ski and chalets to go bbq. That is good quality of life. Spore is pent-up and stressful place. Hence I would say Spore is more comparable with HK which the authorities refuse to admit lah.. obviously because they think we are more 'high-crass'.

On the swiss employment and retrenchment packages, you will be amazed how good they are. Legally, they can't be fired without X months of compensations regardless civil service or private sectors. If you are lucky to work for one of the several big banks in swiss, your employment package may also include living expenses, childcare benefits, school benefits and good salaries. Mind you, this is extended even if they move to Spore to work as expats, i.e. expat packages. Many PBankers I know had moved to Spore with such perks. Not surprising they can rent expensive condos and houses in Tanjong Rhu, Meyer rd, 6th Avenue etc. So again, the Woffles who own these expensive condos are happy. The peasants are f**ked.

I would be curious about their employment/unemployment rates. With such legal constraints on employment/retrenchment packages I would be (as a business) very careful, very picky and very cautious when hiring. This should lead to higher unemployment rates.

UK friend came back Singapore say need 2.1million to buy a similar property they have in UK for $400K

but they say makan cheap in Singapore... NTUC got $1.99 chicken rice.

detach8;836256 said:
I would be curious about their employment/unemployment rates. With such legal constraints on employment/retrenchment packages I would be (as a business) very careful, very picky and very cautious when hiring. This should lead to higher unemployment rates.

Perhaps the white-collars I know get these good deals.

But overall in the west, workers get more protection from retrenchment. If all else fails, they can always rely on state support. In Sing, one will eat grass, cry and commit suicide if jobless, nobody will come to you. 'Free press' will just print that poor soul's death as FOUL PLAY.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elottopcsocomph
Back