Stone Chips On Bonnet

Re: Stone Chips On Bonnet

Guys, I just recently called Aha AutoImage for a try....excellent service! They managed to touch up all of my stone chips. Now I can only notice them if I "try" to look....call Anson at 90693678...

C3P0;520554 said:
Thong, it is very very common. Dun brood over it.
The more worried u are, the bigger the chip marks will appear to u.
First chip, cannot sleep.
2nd chip, cannot eat.
3rd chip, scold the lorry driver upside down.
4th...
5th.......
6th...........
7th "xian...., another chip, knn...."
8th "wa, this one not too bad, smaller than the 5th one...."

.....there won't be a 9th one because by then u would have got used to it. Trust me, 我是过来人 :)

wahhaahahahaha:lol2::lol2::lol2:

You guys ever thought of doing a spray on film protection which is permanent? there is a shop at Toh Guan road east enterprise hub block 42 doing it. can check it out.

Pls don't lose sleep or appetite over stone chips.. They are nothing until you get 'dents'... by the way, no car is stone chip free unless you hide your car inside your house. :woottt:

thongjy;520498 said:
Can anyone tell me what to do with the stone chip that I got on my bonnet of my 2 month old Z4?

Anyone got it before?

If you have the original paint, I can help. It's a time consuming process though. Need to:
Wash, clean out the chipped area with alcohol,
apply paint, wait to dry, level the paint by wet-sanding,
use machine to buff out sanding marks and polish to gloss.

It's my hobby, SMS@92202099.

re.flec.tion;570809 said:
If you have the original paint, I can help. It's a time consuming process though. Need to:
Wash, clean out the chipped area with alcohol,
apply paint, wait to dry, level the paint by wet-sanding,
use machine to buff out sanding marks and polish to gloss.

It's my hobby, SMS@92202099.

bro, how to do wet sanding?? This idea has been running in my mind for a while but wonder will it leave a permanent scratched mark instead. :roll:

snowmanyee;571274 said:
bro, how to do wet sanding?? This idea has been running in my mind for a while but wonder will it leave a permanent scratched mark instead. :roll:

Wet-sanding simply means sanding down the surface with sandpaper soaked and along the way with water or lubricant much like claying the car.

Unless you have the guts, necessary tools and skills. It's better to leave it to the professional or very serious enthusiast. The former is ironic most people will rather respray the whole panel than take care of a few chips. Reason being time to repair chip is longer than respray.

Wet-sanding with the slightest wrong pressure will result in deeper than expected marks. Not exactly permanent but sometimes it's too deep to be remove. You need some polishing knowledge to understand this.

Sanding will leave sanding marks which needs to be compounded by wool or cutting foam. Which then leaves buffing marks which needs to be polished. Depending on hardness of paint, polishing may leave marring which requires finishing to remove.

So it's not as simple as sanding then apply some filler then good as new.

Prior to sanding, you also need clean surfaces, clean by IPA and stuff. Otherwise, the paint will not look like the surrounding. Dust-free is quite needless to explain.

dantito;571327 said:
mine is front bumper kenna.. heng bonnet never..

On the contrary bumper is more difficult. Cos bumper is plastic and bonnet is metal. Paint on bumper is more tedious to polish as it is softer. It's due to a flex agent added to the paint so that when dried, the paint can flex with the plastic. That's why after sometime, resprayed bumper shows crack lines. This is because the paint for metal is used on plastic instead.

re.flec.tion;571373 said:
Wet-sanding simply means sanding down the surface with sandpaper soaked and along the way with water or lubricant much like claying the car.

Unless you have the guts, necessary tools and skills. It's better to leave it to the professional or very serious enthusiast. The former is ironic most people will rather respray the whole panel than take care of a few chips. Reason being time to repair chip is longer than respray.

Wet-sanding with the slightest wrong pressure will result in deeper than expected marks. Not exactly permanent but sometimes it's too deep to be remove. You need some polishing knowledge to understand this.

Sanding will leave sanding marks which needs to be compounded by wool or cutting foam. Which then leaves buffing marks which needs to be polished. Depending on hardness of paint, polishing may leave marring which requires finishing to remove.

So it's not as simple as sanding then apply some filler then good as new.

Prior to sanding, you also need clean surfaces, clean by IPA and stuff. Otherwise, the paint will not look like the surrounding. Dust-free is quite needless to explain.

Thanks for the detailed explanation! Actually I am thinking of trying out this method for the interior vinyl. My door got scratched the very first time I took rear passengers. Think they rubbed their shoes against the door (very tight rear leg space for BMW 3 series) when they got down my car. Quite heartpain to see the scratch on the door after just collecting my car for a few days.

snowmanyee;571490 said:
Thanks for the detailed explanation! Actually I am thinking of trying out this method for the interior vinyl. My door got scratched the very first time I took rear passengers. Think they rubbed their shoes against the door (very tight rear leg space for BMW 3 series) when they got down my car. Quite heartpain to see the scratch on the door after just collecting my car for a few days.

You have to learn to live with it. I don't have a solution for interior. Perhaps change the panel if you can afford.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nxflr

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back