Steering sound

wt_know

drive at low speed below 40kmph
turn right ... turn left ... violently to simulate the sound

can hear the ngeet ngeet sound ... only while turning right ... turning left no sound :thinking:

not sure is suspension sound or steering sound
this has been happening for 2-3 weeks liao

then i drove to a carpark ... drive like a mad man .. brake hard ... turn left turn right violently

the sound seems to get softer ... not so audible
and the occurrences of the sound also lesser

what could be the problem?

suspension
steering
control arm

hate to send in to pml and leave it there 1-2 days and probably got the answer ... err nothing wrong
please go back and monitor ... come in again if you hear the sound

Re: Steering sound

going up mscp also can hear the sound
right turn ... go up ramp ... release steering to return straight ... hear the sound
going down mscp also can hear the sound
same issue ... right turn ... go down ramp ... release steering to return straight ... the sound is heard

Should be electric steering mechanism behind steering wheel.
I have this sound too

Same vibration like noise (intermittent when gg over poorly paved roads in sports-suspension setting) coming thru steering. sent to pml & monitor / troubleshoot 2 days while coding A-S-S off. Problem claimed to be "solved" only to still resurface once in a while still. Give upz, seeking 2nd oponion when i do my 6k oil chg outside.

my ngeet ngeet sound is persistent, i can simulate it easily
during normal driving hardly hear any sound be it on expressway or in the city stop-go-traffic turning left-right
going straight on the worst road condition also no sound
mileage is 8k now ... another 4k-5k for servicing ... during servicing will let pml SA know and "hope" he can assist

Last edited by a moderator:

You need to be driving slowly but turning the steering wheel fast to hear it.
Correct ?

Yes ... especially turning right in carpark and also turning right while waiting at traffic light

Jason8822;1050037 said:
You need to be driving slowly but turning the steering wheel fast to hear it.
Correct ?

egg2;1050033 said:
Same vibration like noise (intermittent when gg over poorly paved roads in sports-suspension setting) coming thru steering. sent to pml & monitor / troubleshoot 2 days while coding A-S-S off. Problem claimed to be "solved" only to still resurface once in a while still. Give upz, seeking 2nd oponion when i do my 6k oil chg outside.

How old is your car? Check the top suspension mountings. I had the same issue recently... my top suspension mounting was worn. Don't wait, send to workshop and check. If it is the top suspension mounting, then cheap to replace.. about $200+ to $300.

wt_know;1050026 said:

can hear the ngeet ngeet sound ... only while turning right ... turning left no sound :thinking:

then i drove to a carpark ... drive like a mad man .. brake hard ... turn left turn right violently

suspension
steering
control arm

hate to send in to pml and leave it there 1-2 days and probably got the answer ... err nothing wrong

How old is your car? Check the top suspension mountings. I had the same issue recently... my top suspension mounting was worn. Don't wait for another 4-5k, send to workshop immediately and check. in the mean time, drive slowly when you go over humps.

If it is the top suspension mounting, then cheap to replace outside.. about $200+ to $300.

Can hear it louder if windows down ?

Your car new so unlikely but based on symptoms - for older cars I would say maybe wheel bearings. Second area could be the suspension mounts. I remembered you changed to KW recently ?

i suspect related to suspension. it just that mount is new, suspension is new, and i had my suspension checked twice. may be need to take out the whole suspension for 100% inspection plus reinstall. sian.

Bro, did you recently adjust the elevation on the steering wheel? You just need to move half a inch up or down and try.
It happened to me and my mechanic did that, and voila!

wt_know;1050026 said:

suspension
steering
control arm

Maybe just re-torque all the nuts etc ......

wt_know;1050119 said:
i suspect related to suspension. it just that mount is new, suspension is new, and i had my suspension checked twice. may be need to take out the whole suspension for 100% inspection plus reinstall. sian.

probably go to another workshop for a "new" pair of eyes to inspect the suspension and re-torque all the nuts
had my suspension checked twice on the same workshop that install the suspension and nothing found

so far, no harm done nor felt yet
the drive still steady poon pi pi
i have asked around and many commented ... coilover tend to have sound here and there ... it's a whole experience comes with coilover :(

in my previous experience with kw v1 on my e90, it also damage my front top mount prematurely and also got sound at the rear

this time i got sound in front and rear ... front is ngeet ngeet like rubber greasing and rear is spring hitting when compressed-decompressed

Red_Bean_Bun;1050128 said:
Maybe just re-torque all the nuts etc ......

wt_know;1050130 said:
probably go to another workshop for a "new" pair of eyes to inspect the suspension and re-torque all the nuts
had my suspension checked twice on the same workshop that install the suspension and nothing found

so far, no harm done nor felt yet
the drive still steady poon pi pi
i have asked around and many commented ... coilover tend to have sound here and there ... it's a whole experience comes with coilover :(

in my previous experience with kw v1 on my e90, it also damage my front top mount prematurely and also got sound at the rear

this time i got sound in front and rear ... front is ngeet ngeet like rubber greasing and rear is spring hitting when compressed-decompressed

I had this sound which you mention, it only occurs when I turn my steering to the left. Encounter it almost daily and this "phenomenon" has been happening for a long time which I am still unable to find the root cause.

Other than the disturbing noise, ride is fine though.

Try adjusting the elevation of the steering.
Should works.

bh0322;1050173 said:
I had this sound which you mention, it only occurs when I turn my steering to the left. Encounter it almost daily and this "phenomenon" has been happening for a long time which I am still unable to find the root cause.

Other than the disturbing noise, ride is fine though.

tried and tested. not working.
quite confirm is suspension sound.

wt_know;1050262 said:
tried and tested. not working.
quite confirm is suspension sound.

thought you on coilover???

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

Latest posts

Members online