Steering freeplay - how much is normal?

emiffy

Re: Steering freeplay - how much is normal?

You mean nobody here has any problem with freeplay in their steering? ;)

emiffy said:
You mean nobody here has any problem with freeplay in their steering? ;)
Relax bro,

haahah, very few people will reply within 5 minutes of posting ;)

Wait till the later afternoon..

Hmm, regarding freeplay, if the car is off, i think it's dependant on how wide your tires are and resistance you will have to work with?

I can 'freeplay' all the way 2 1/2 circle turns but that would require a huge effort from me when the car is 'off'. Not nice for tires btw.

What's wrong with your car actually? Steering freeplay different after upgrading rims?

Sorry, paiseh.

Freeplay, i.e. when car is stationary, wheels forward, with little finger, you can move your steering wheel. I think it's probably subjective, just that I'm new to this whole BMW thing.

Thanks!

easiest is to hop into 20 cars during the meetup and try, see if their steering wheels give you foreplay. heheh

then you'll know whether it's a BMW feel, or yours got problem.

emiffy said:
How much steering freeplay is normal? I.e., if you are stationary, and wheels pointed forward, how much steering freeplay would be okay? +/- 1cm?

Does BMW have more or less freeplay compared with other cars?

What about rims? Will 17/18" give more freeplay than 16"?

thanks.

there shouldn't be too much free play. like racebred suggested, check out others' cars and you'll know if your's normal.

emiffy said:
How much steering freeplay is normal? I.e., if you are stationary, and wheels pointed forward, how much steering freeplay would be okay? +/- 1cm?

Does BMW have more or less freeplay compared with other cars?

What about rims? Will 17/18" give more freeplay than 16"?

thanks.

Freeplay.. as in play alreay don pay and it's free?? kekek !

Anyway freeplay in steering is a sign of rack and pinion failure.. As in the gear in the rack and pinion has worn out.. Should not happen in BMW unless it's an aging one like 5-6 years old or when u do a lot of sudden swerve ??? My previous car got this problem but decided to live with it as a replacement cost 3k to replace the whole rack and pinion...

3k together with other problem can use as downpayment for another car liao.. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vla-fiatarap2023

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back