Squealing brakes after Rims change

sierrasg

I just replaced my 18" rims & tyres. Soon after, I noticed an audible squealing noise when the car comes to a stop after i engaged the brakes.

This squealing noise can be heard either in forward or reverse gears. The squeals also come about only when the car nears a complete stop, not when I first engage the brakes.

Have any bros here experienced something similar or can provide some advice on the possible causes?

Thanks,
Alvin.

Re: Squealing brakes after Rims change

sierrasg;595535 said:
I just replaced my 18" rims & tyres. Soon after, I noticed an audible squealing noise when the car comes to a stop after i engaged the brakes.

This squealing noise can be heard either in forward or reverse gears. The squeals also come about only when the car nears a complete stop, not when I first engage the brakes.

Have any bros here experienced something similar or can provide some advice on the possible causes?

Thanks,
Alvin.

Hi Alvin,

could it be your rotol or your pads are going up the lorry soon?
maybe can bring it down to your favorite workshop for a check.............

cheers

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to avoid that but I guess it is the sensible thing to do.

Regards,
Alvin.

sierrasg;595571 said:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to avoid that but I guess it is the sensible thing to do.

Regards,
Alvin.

Hi Alvin,

update us on the verdict so we can learn a thing or two ya.....

cheers

how come change rim then got noise ? old rim with poor rotor (going to up lorry) has no noise before ?

wt_know;595574 said:
how come change rim then got noise ? old rim with poor rotor (going to up lorry) has no noise before ?

Hi wt-know,

probably the timing is so CHUN that after changing rims, the noise appear............just like after PML warranty expired............some problem will surface ya......

cheers

hahaha .... that's very chun .... go buy TOTO ya .... :lol:

wt_know;595579 said:
hahaha .... that's very chun .... go buy TOTO ya .... :lol:

ToTo sure wont be so CHUN..................that one control by Sg Pools......

cheers

I have the same issue when I changed to M5 rims after collecting my new E60 last year. Issue is still there. PML investigated by putting back their OEM 17" rim and no sound was heard after that. One possible and reasonable guess is that the sound comes from vibration of the rims at resonance. When brakes are applied, there will be vibrations (small ones, and as opposed to squeaking) and these will be transmitted to the rims since brake disc and rims are connected. With different rim material, the resonance frequency will be different. So swee swee that my M5 rims resonate at certain braking point (at very slow speed) and hence the sound. Tried everything liao and still got sound, and so gave up trying to solve it. But sound will go away when the brakes are hotter in my case.

sierrasg;595535 said:

Thanks,
Alvin.
what rim is yours? just the ordinary 1 pc rim or 2-3 pcs type or rim that got a addition pc shining pc(like those light chrome) attached to the rim outer face?
ever came across those attached with outer shining pc one caused such similar noise once replaced no more.
If PML confirmed (best you also inside the car) with their OE set no such noise ,likely is your new wheels is giving you problem..
Please up grade your wheel/tyre Quality not just size and look,otherwise stick as stock:nehnehhh:

sierrasg;595535 said:

Thanks,
Alvin.

I also have this problem. I think its most prob due to the rims, stock rims are more chunky or what more "solid". When the car is about to come to a stock, there will be some vibrations on the brake discs and transmit to the wheel hub then to the rims. For OEM rims or rims of a more chunky nature, it will so call "absorb" the vibrations aka the squealing. My rims are lightweight design and the spokes are pretty thin, therefore I presume it is due to this? My rims being less chunky.

sierrasg;595535 said:

Thanks,
Alvin.

Put the old rims back and see if the squeal goes away ?

VIsited a popular forum workshop twice on the squealing problem.

Apparently, the squeals are coming from the new rims. No such squeals when stock rims are used.

Was told by the workshop that this squeal is common when using lightweight aluminum alloy rims. I am not a mech guy but understand that the rims play a role in transmitting and creating a high frequency pitch that I know as squealing.

After testing with 3 different rims, I am resigned to having these squeals as there was little the workshop could do.

Alvin.

sierrasg;600904 said:
VIsited a popular forum workshop twice on the squealing problem.

Apparently, the squeals are coming from the new rims. No such squeals when stock rims are used.

Was told by the workshop that this squeal is common when using lightweight aluminum alloy rims. I am not a mech guy but understand that the rims play a role in transmitting and creating a high frequency pitch that I know as squealing.

After testing with 3 different rims, I am resigned to having these squeals as there was little the workshop could do.

Alvin.

Out of curiosity - Are you on an OEM brake set ?

Hi guys,
I personally have the same experience. Upgraded from stock 16' to 19' aluminium alloy. Squealing only when brakes are lightly applied at very low speeds. Here is what i found from a respectable website on automotive brakes:

Squealing brakes are a sign of one of two things : the friction material is all gone and you're jamming the backing plate against the brake rotor, or the fit of the brake pad against the caliper piston isn't as snug as it could be. Either way, the squealing is the result of an extremely high-frequency vibration between the pad, the caliper piston and the brake rotor. Some vehicles have problems with squealy brakes right from the factory. In those cases, simply changing brake pad manufacturer can often cure the problem as the different pads will have a slightly different harmonic frequency, which is harder to attain. A classic example was one of the BMW R1100 touring bikes. From the factory, they'd squeal like crazy, and BMW redesigned the brake calipers and rotors a couple of times until they finally just switched to a different brand of pads and the problem vanished.

Easiest solution - changing brake pads. But why throw away a usable set of brake pads? So my advice, leave it, and when time comes, just change the pads and problem will dissapear. Unless you can't live with the noise, then no choice you either change brake pads or change the wheels.

beamer001;600908 said:
Hi guys,
I personally have the same experience. Upgraded from stock 16' to 19' aluminium alloy. Squealing only when brakes are lightly applied at very low speeds. Here is what i found from a respectable website on automotive brakes:

Squealing brakes are a sign of one of two things : the friction material is all gone and you're jamming the backing plate against the brake rotor, or the fit of the brake pad against the caliper piston isn't as snug as it could be. Either way, the squealing is the result of an extremely high-frequency vibration between the pad, the caliper piston and the brake rotor. Some vehicles have problems with squealy brakes right from the factory. In those cases, simply changing brake pad manufacturer can often cure the problem as the different pads will have a slightly different harmonic frequency, which is harder to attain. A classic example was one of the BMW R1100 touring bikes. From the factory, they'd squeal like crazy, and BMW redesigned the brake calipers and rotors a couple of times until they finally just switched to a different brand of pads and the problem vanished.

Easiest solution - changing brake pads. But why throw away a usable set of brake pads? So my advice, leave it, and when time comes, just change the pads and problem will dissapear. Unless you can't live with the noise, then no choice you either change brake pads or change the wheels.

Hmm... this is useful to know.Will note this when I next change my brake pads!

Thanks,
Alvin.

sierrasg;600938 said:
I am on OEM brake set.

Alvin.

In that case, you may want to try the following -

1. Ask a workshop to check the brake pads (clean and maybe chamfer the edges)
2. Apply brake grease (or rubber grease) at the back of the pads and all the parts that may vibrate - pins, springs whatever (but not on rotors and the face of the pads). Not sure about using copper grease. Personally don't like it.
3. Bed the brake pads.

Make sure your pads are of the right fitment along the way e.g check the FMSI number if you decide to change the pads to non-OEM types if the workshop is persuasive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hb888pro1
Back