Spraying water on brakes

RaidenGear

Hi guys,

I was wondering, is it ok to spray water on the brakes to cool them down after say...an enthusiastic drive.

Is it wise to do that? Or will it just warp the brake discs?

Re: Spraying water on brakes

RaidenGear;559925 said:
Hi guys,

I was wondering, is it ok to spray water on the brakes to cool them down after say...an enthusiastic drive.

I ever warped my brake discs running through a puddle of water after some "normal" driving... in short, NO! don't spray water... just allow it to air-cool!

RaidenGear;559925 said:
Hi guys,

RaidenGear,

Never ever spray direct water onto your brake disc, this is not cooling off your brake disc rather damaging your brake disc. Brake disc may wob.

how is spraying water on disc brakes diff from rain? wouldnt rain water cool and "warp"brake disc as well?

Slater;559942 said:
how is spraying water on disc brakes diff from rain? wouldnt rain water cool and "warp"brake disc as well?

There is no difference..... the point is to avoid direct water on the brake disc. Normal rain is fine..... not submerge in water and when see steam coming off your wheels and comforting yourself that you have cool off your disc :yummie:

It runs the same concept of expansion and contraction of metal (hot/cold) To have better clarity, you may want to drop by any workshop for technical explanation.

wolf73;559944 said:
There is no difference..... the point is to avoid direct water on the brake disc. Normal rain is fine..... not submerge in water and when see steam coming off your wheels and comforting yourself that you have cool off your disc :yummie:

It runs the same concept of expansion and contraction of metal (hot/cold) To have better clarity, you may want to drop by any workshop for technical explanation.
i frequently wash my car immediately after driving home from work. smoke and all, got tai chi boh?:shock:

Slater;559945 said:
i frequently wash my car immediately after driving home from work. smoke and all, got tai chi boh?:shock:

Personally, i would advise you to cool off your car awhile before you wash or if you head down those petrol kiosk car wash, tell them avoid water gunning direct at your disc.....

I know... when seeing the steam coming off your disc, feel shiok right? :chinese: had that feel before too..... but in the long run, it's HOLE in the pocket :shakehea: because it'll call for new disc or better...invest in better big brake system hahahaha... another excuse to get a big brake system.

wolf73;559948 said:
Personally, i would advise you to cool off your car awhile before you wash or if you head down those petrol kiosk car wash, tell them avoid water gunning direct at your disc.....

I know... when seeing the steam coming off your disc, feel shiok right? :chinese: had that feel before too..... but in the long run, it's HOLE in the pocket :shakehea: because it'll call for new disc or better...invest in better big brake system hahahaha... another excuse to get a big brake system.
okok gum sia. haizz more down time.

hahah, if you are afraid, just get those normal rims, non sports type, which can cover everything.. and you will be safe.. hahah!:woottt:

So basically, you shouldn't spray water at your brakes after a long ride as it will contract too quickly? And this would make it warp? Would it? Hmmmmmmmmmmm

cupholders;560017 said:
So basically, you shouldn't spray water at your brakes after a long ride as it will contract too quickly? And this would make it warp? Would it? Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Not very clear via technical aspect.

You go try an example, take a piece of metal, heat it till hot...... and then dip it in water.... if shape remains after a few try, it should be ok to spray at brake disc, if shape changes, then better not try on your brake disc :errr::dance:

haha.. change rotor! get those with holes one.. it doesnt 'warp' easily..

wolf73;560033 said:
Not very clear via technical aspect.

You go try an example, take a piece of metal, heat it till hot...... and then dip it in water.... if shape remains after a few try, it should be ok to spray at brake disc, if shape changes, then better not try on your brake disc :errr::dance:

Haha i tried it once before lol. Anyway, im thinking of getting the cross drilled ones. Just replacing the stock ones. Cool.

dantito;560034 said:
haha.. change rotor! get those with holes one.. it doesnt 'warp' easily..

bro, on the contrary, i believe the cracks will start appearing from micro cracks starting fm the holes/slots ... long run, warpage... plus possibly cracks even.

as much as possible, avoid cold water on hot brakes. its simple thermal stress on metal... never a good thing.

Thanks guys for the awesome tips. Looks like I should not try to cool the brakes myself , just air-cool ;)

richlee7;560083 said:
bro, on the contrary, i believe the cracks will start appearing from micro cracks starting fm the holes/slots ... long run, warpage... plus possibly cracks even.

as much as possible, avoid cold water on hot brakes. its simple thermal stress on metal... never a good thing.

Fully agreed.

RaidenGear;560089 said:
Thanks guys for the awesome tips. Looks like I should not try to cool the brakes myself , just air-cool ;)

Dude the disc will wrap... not only that, your fenders and bonnet are hot after a drive, not good for all the metal.

Pour Ice water. Cool faster!!

A lot of steam....dam nice!!

Pop the bonnet, pour Ice water over engine also.

Best!!

'The Great White'

wilman2772;560129 said:
Pour Ice water. Cool faster!!

A lot of steam....dam nice!!

Pop the bonnet, pour Ice water over engine also.

Best!!

'The Great White'

The exhaust headers could also get chilled along the way ...................

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iwinclubat
Back