Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups

Smelly Air-Con problem!!!

Re: Smelly Air-Con problem!!!

Hi,

I believe it is the coil. The coil flow rate is not similar to the original / the design of the coil is different. Although it can be installed into the air-con box, it does not means it is the same as BMW original. I was asked to change the coil and they recommended OEM coil (they claimed it is similar to original) but once installed, the flow rate is lower and have this mouldy smell sooner than ever, approx. 4-5 months.......my original one last me about 2 years until it leaked and got changed.

Hope this help.

The coil OEM replacement should be the Made in Germany, Denso brand. There are cheaper coils, Made in Taiwan or China etc.

Hope it's not the coil, i just changed mine and will observe if the bad mouldy smells comes up.

So in the end, you changed out the OEM coil ? And which WS did you go to for Original coil replacement ?
Thanks

stevenwu;945571 said:
Hi,

I believe it is the coil. The coil flow rate is not similar to the original / the design of the coil is different. Although it can be installed into the air-con box, it does not means it is the same as BMW original. I was asked to change the coil and they recommended OEM coil (they claimed it is similar to original) but once installed, the flow rate is lower and have this mouldy smell sooner than ever, approx. 4-5 months.......my original one last me about 2 years until it leaked and got changed.

Hope this help.

I saw your post on another thread, I went to the same WS - L & Kim Car Aircon. They have changed another same denso coil for me and the smell did came back. The smell will come after around 3 months.
I'm thinking of going to another WS to change coil again. 1.2k repair job become 2k !!!
Good luck to you.

For those thinking of changing coil at this WS, please reconsider. I can't say 100% is the coil issue but before that I don't have this problem. Other than the coil, nothing else was being replace.

canuck78;945938 said:
The coil OEM replacement should be the Made in Germany, Denso brand. There are cheaper coils, Made in Taiwan or China etc.

Hope it's not the coil, i just changed mine and will observe if the bad mouldy smells comes up.

Oh darn, hope not. Will monitor as I just got mine changed last month.

Will get my own coil from Eng Soon if indeed the case, why not you try this route?

xeonm3;946227 said:
I saw your post on another thread, I went to the same WS - L & Kim Car Aircon. They have changed another same denso coil for me and the smell did came back. The smell will come after around 3 months.
I'm thinking of going to another WS to change coil again. 1.2k repair job become 2k !!!
Good luck to you.

For those thinking of changing coil at this WS, please reconsider. I can't say 100% is the coil issue but before that I don't have this problem. Other than the coil, nothing else was being replace.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi,just to share. My E90 is still on factory air-con coil as the mileage is very low. Recently left the car parked for a few days and drove it. Once the engine started the moudy smell came back. All I did was the same routine of air-con teml at 28 degress,fan on full,windows down and air circulating outside and drove on the highway for around 15 mins. The smell went away after that. just my 2 cents,it should be down to the weather as it keeps raining as this causes the humidity to be quite high and since we always on the air-con to be cold as singapore is a hot country,I'm not suprised of the smell. The cold/hot weather daily and also the air-con filter in the engine bay,my guess is mould is sure to build up causing the smell. Just my thoughts as the smell came recently a few months ago when it started to rain daily. :)

Just to share with fellow bimmer drivers. The strong mouldy smell in my car appeared overnight after a day of driving in wet weather to Ipoh, enroute to Thailand. Had to air the car with fan blowing full blast. Luckily the smell became less noticeable after an hr on the rd. However, the smell appeared again on subsequent days after parked overnight. I had the problem rectified at PML - due to a malfunctioning fan.

Mine came back everyday without fail!!! Rain or shine, smell is still there :(

qianle;949170 said:
Hi,just to share. My E90 is still on factory air-con coil as the mileage is very low. Recently left the car parked for a few days and drove it. Once the engine started the moudy smell came back. All I did was the same routine of air-con teml at 28 degress,fan on full,windows down and air circulating outside and drove on the highway for around 15 mins. The smell went away after that. just my 2 cents,it should be down to the weather as it keeps raining as this causes the humidity to be quite high and since we always on the air-con to be cold as singapore is a hot country,I'm not suprised of the smell. The cold/hot weather daily and also the air-con filter in the engine bay,my guess is mould is sure to build up causing the smell. Just my thoughts as the smell came recently a few months ago when it started to rain daily. :)

The blower got problem ? means running at lower fan speed ? thx for sharing.

BBee;949185 said:
Just to share with fellow bimmer drivers. The strong mouldy smell in my car appeared overnight after a day of driving in wet weather to Ipoh, enroute to Thailand. Had to air the car with fan blowing full blast. Luckily the smell became less noticeable after an hr on the rd. However, the smell appeared again on subsequent days after parked overnight. I had the problem rectified at PML - due to a malfunctioning fan.

i read somewhere that when we are close to reaching home, turn off a/c and recirculation mode.
It will reduce the pungent smell. Dun even need to spend a single ct.

I'm not sure it works for eeryone but why not.

i read somewhere that when we are close to reaching home, turn off a/c and recirculation mode.
It will reduce the pungent smell. Dun even need to spend a single ct.

I'm not sure it works for eeryone but why not.

Thats just reducing and not getting rid of the problem

I tried it for a few days with the sunroof open as well.
it does reduce substantially and when PML replace the cabin filter under BSI, the smell was gone completely.
My car is not that old so might differ with those of a certain age.

Try this. I have done it to several cars and it works.
Most likely the smell come from dampness in the coil inside. Try to close circulation and put temp to highest (hot) and blow at top speed for about 5 minutes. Make sure you switch off the a/c. This will blow away the damp condensation in your heat exchanger coil inside car. I actually did this while driving with windows open. Try this and let us know if it works for your car.

Back