Self Import 5 series (G30) or X3 (G01) worthwhile?

beemeersg

Hi guys,

Need some advice on whether it's worthwhile to self import 5 series (G30) or X3 (G01) from UK to Singapore... I am looking at it purely from the perspective of cost savings.

I have business there, so I am familiar with the import process (not cars though), the savings seemed to be quite significant, although there's no local warranty / maintenance included:

520i G30: S$150k-160k (vs S$240k+ locally)
X3 G01: S$170k-180k (vs S$210k+ locally)

Hopefully some non-PI members with experience can shed some light on this?

My primary concern is the repair / maintenance costs of BMW, which seem to be the highest among continental cars, with the lowest reliability.

The challenge is the OMV (where you will be tax) when car arrived in port, which is decided by LTA (no longer control by self declaration). Can eat up the price difference very fast.

Last edited:
"...
X3 G01: S$170k-180k (vs S$210k+ locally)..."

Presuming that the above prices you estimated cover also COE and ARF (i.e. everything); then I think it is a worthwhile bet to self-import, because in my experience with 4 brand new BMW's, repairs seemed to only start after 3 years, which is the local warranty period. Some last more than 3 years. If this is what you call the "lowest reliability" and highest maintenance costs among continental cars then I think I shall go for the Lexus for my next car.

the G30 thread seems have have quite a few issues that cannot be resolved even after weeks at AD workshop. I wonder if it's because ppl with issues complain alot on forums, while the majority are having no issue, so nothing to shout about online...

Hi guys,

Need some advice on whether it's worthwhile to self import 5 series (G30) or X3 (G01) from UK to Singapore... I am looking at it purely from the perspective of cost savings.

I have business there, so I am familiar with the import process (not cars though), the savings seemed to be quite significant, although there's no local warranty / maintenance included:

X3 G01: S$170k-180k (vs S$210k+ locally)

Hopefully some non-PI members with experience can shed some light on this?

My primary concern is the repair / maintenance costs of BMW, which seem to be the highest among continental cars, with the lowest reliability.
You will have to calculate yourself whether the warranty (aka possibility of repairs, touch wood) of 3-5 years is worth the savings of S$80K or not (hmmm...)

Added note: My annual maintenance/replacement of wear and tear for my previous out-of-warranty E60 was about S$4-5K on the high side (excluding oil change and mechatronics). You do the sums whether it is worth it or not.

Look up hardwarezone.com.sg forum and search for "self import volkswagen" where there is a sticky thread whereby a user had successfully self import a Honda Vezel and described and shared his experience and EVERY SINGLE step of the import process, including paperwork, cost involved, timeline and all with pics.

After that, please share your import process here with us with all your Europe lobang.. hee hee.

Good luck!

PS. The site sponsors here do provide great service, lower costs on repair/maintenance, with knowledge and skills on par or even better than AD. Personal experience...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jalaliveco

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back