Radiator replacement

z76

Hey gurus, i have some problems with my ride as it felt very sluggish. I was recommended to go to code werx for diagnosis, and after checking, there is no error.

But to resolve the problem instead of going into software, tony recommended to change my eng oil and atf oil to see howbit goes. My servicing is due too and mileage is 64k so i agreed to do it. To my amaze, the eng oil has thinned with no lubricating feel, and atf oil has burnt smell. After done, they check the coolant reservoir and found out it was empty.

I used to top the reservoir in the past in gap of several days but has not been doing so for almost a month. There must leak somewhere and after checking, it was seen on the radiator that was leaking and not hose.

Anyone know if radiator can be repaired, or any recond radiator available? The thinning and burnt atf shld be caused by the radiator as the cooling system is not working 100% on cooling both eng and atf oil.

Help appreciated and thanks to tony from code werx. Great advise. Btw im driving a f10 523.

Re: Radiator replacement

It's only about 1k to change to a brand new radiator. Why would you want to look for a used one? People change radiator only when there is a problem so you won't find any good condition one that is much cheaper than a brand new one. Wouldn't there be some warning when the engine overheats?

Hi zennie, thks for letting me know the damage. I was tryingg to see if theres any other options though.

Yes, surprisingly theres no message pop up to warn on the low coolant issue. And Tony did diagnose with no error messages too. Puzzled isnt it.

I just claimed my radiator under warranty from PML for my f10 523 before 3 year warranty expires.

My warning light didnt come out till the engine coolant was almost empty. Before warning light was out, aircon has no cold air intermittently and during times where there was no cold air engine was extremely loud. After realizing engine coolant was almost empty via warning msg, i top up to max but again dropped to min after 2 days. Only the i know was leaking luckily 1 mth before warranty expires.

Ahwing;1103053 said:
My warning light didnt come out till the engine coolant was almost empty. Before warning light was out, aircon has no cold air intermittently and during times where there was no cold air engine was extremely loud. After realizing engine coolant was almost empty via warning msg, i top up to max but again dropped to min after 2 days. Only the i know was leaking luckily 1 mth before warranty expires.
Thank you Ahwing, my message previously did popped up but now it doesn't. But as a driver, you realised something isn't right with your ride, so I get it checked, after 2-3 weeks of abnormalities.

My ride is not PML, but going back to my workshop warranty and let them check.

z76;1103006 said:
Hey gurus, i have some problems with my ride as it felt very sluggish. I was recommended to go to code werx for diagnosis, and after checking, there is no error.

But to resolve the problem instead of going into software, tony recommended to change my eng oil and atf oil to see howbit goes. My servicing is due too and mileage is 64k so i agreed to do it. To my amaze, the eng oil has thinned with no lubricating feel, and atf oil has burnt smell. After done, they check the coolant reservoir and found out it was empty.

I used to top the reservoir in the past in gap of several days but has not been doing so for almost a month. There must leak somewhere and after checking, it was seen on the radiator that was leaking and not hose.

Anyone know if radiator can be repaired, or any recond radiator available? The thinning and burnt atf shld be caused by the radiator as the cooling system is not working 100% on cooling both eng and atf oil.

Help appreciated and thanks to tony from code werx. Great advise. Btw im driving a f10 523.

hi bro have u got it replace?

Mine is starting to show signs of leakage. Sianz...

Can PM me the WS and replacement cost? Thx

My 2011 F10 started leaking in 2013. Changed in Munich in Dec 2013. Found to be leaking again.

May I know what is your mileage when the radiator problem started? Happens every two years?

First time was December 2013. About 2 years 40+k. Just replaced yesterday second time

[email protected];1114970 said:
First time was December 2013. About 2 years 40+k. Just replaced yesterday second time

Wow. Two radiators in less than 4 years. Change more frequent than changing tires!

So the second one covered under warranty?

Anyone else who has replaced radiator? What mileage before you had to replace it?

Nope unfortunately warranty with PML expired

Changed mines at 30k mileage just before warranty expire.
So I would expect to change again at 60k or 6th year.

douggie;1115126 said:
So you changed at PML? Would to find out the estimated cost for repair. Thanks

I changed at one of the workshops found in the directory here. Cost was $720.

Not too sure if I'm helping PML but had to change mine too a few months back and warranty expired not too long ago. Was expressing my exasperation when SA said he will try to apply for waiver and PML agreed to waive the cost of replacement. That's what I called tokong service:)!

You can contact us for parts ! from our experience, too high concentration of coolant can cause leaks. For radiator change, 1 bottle of Original BMW coolant would suffice.

Eng Soon Auto;1117037 said:
You can contact us for parts ! from our experience, too high concentration of coolant can cause leaks. For radiator change, 1 bottle of Original BMW coolant would suffice.

May I know how much is your damage to change F10 523i BMW original Radiator and 3 hose in total including workmanship?

Do let me know asap as I'm going down to one of the workshop later in the afternoon.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
i9bet41so

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back