Radiator fan going full blast...no, don't think is water pump.

Slow_poke_driver

Is the below symptoms normal?

1. Fan goes on full blast for 10-15s when coming to a stop after exiting expressway with engine oil at about 105-110c. While the fan is going full blast for that 10-15s, the oil temp needle moves down to about 95c.

2. Fan goes full blast when restarting after car has been driven and parked for 30mins-2hour. Sometimes the fan runs for 15s, sometimes a min or 2, depending on the time of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Radiator fan going full blast...no, don't think is water pump.

Happened after you driven hard ?

If you have an N20 engine and was driven hard then its normal - water pump and fan working to cool the turbo even when the car is in a standstill.

The turbine is both oil and water cooled ......

Slow_poke_driver;1096045 said:
Is the below symptoms normal?

1. Fan goes on full blast for 10-15s when coming to a stop after exiting expressway with engine oil at about 105-110c. While the fan is going full blast for that 10-15s, the oil temp needle moves down to about 95c.

2. Fan goes full blast when restarting after car has been driven and parked for 30mins-2hour. Sometimes the fan runs for 15s, sometimes a min or 2, depending on the time of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Red_Bean_Bun;1096050 said:
Happened after you driven hard ?

If you have an N20 engine and was driven hard then its normal - water pump and fan working to cool the turbo even when the car is in a standstill.

The turbine is both oil and water cooled ......

Yes, it is that n20.

I never drive hard leh, expressway cruise around 100-120 for about 8km or so. At most 2000+ rev only.

The above likely due the map themostat issue, which can be detected using a diagnostics. I got my replaced and current my fan do not go full blast after 30 mins of drive

Red_Bean_Bun;1096138 said:
Here's some info that may help .....

View attachment 63422

Thanks for the info.

Very interesting. So that means if you want your engine to run at lower temperatures, you should drive your car hard!

"Sorry TP officer, I need to drive my car fast because I scared it'll spoil" :)

More like the other way round ... lower temp got more torque.......

douggie;1096153 said:
Thanks for the info.

Very interesting. So that means if you want your engine to run at lower temperatures, you should drive your car hard!

"Sorry TP officer, I need to drive my car fast because I scared it'll spoil" :)

I had the same loud fan issue last year, turned out it was the thermal sensor faulty

Went to pick up daughter from school and she said my car was noisier than school buses.....

anyway, car under warranty and parts replaced by PML, now ok liao.

When the sensor goes dud - it would be an open circuit. Quick scan and test with a multi-meter can confirm if a replacement is needed.

Its when the sensor is half dead - Circuit is ok but signals are out of whack that it will get hairy because the scan would not show a fault.

That's where the mech's experience would come in ........

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jalaliveco

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back