Problem with throttle lag ..

hi. is yours the 318 valvetronic?
if so, have you changed your ignition coils n plugs?
btw, was your fuel level less than quarter tank?
these could be some of the causes (long story in some old threads elsewhere), but prob applies IF you are the 318 vavlvetronic...

Re: Problem with throttle lag ..

E46 said:
guys, today I accelerated from a junction and realised there's a 0.5 - 1 secs lag before the car starts moving off ... Consulted a friend and I was told it could be a problem with fuel pump ...

Basically theres no irregural RPM changes on start up. Basically stepped on the accelerator and had to wait 0.5-1 sec before it starts to move off ...

You guys have any idea what could be wrong ? appreciate it thanks ...

There is one thousand and one problem that can be related to hesitation...

Fuel pump might be one of them but u have to tell us what model you r driving and which year is the car...

If u got a dirty idle valve, sticky throttle cable if it's one of the M52 car or a sticky throttle body flap, all will cause hesitation, and it might even be just down to changing spark plugs to resolve the problem....

richlee7 said:
hi. is yours the 318 valvetronic?
if so, have you changed your ignition coils n plugs?
btw, was your fuel level less than quarter tank?
these could be some of the causes (long story in some old threads elsewhere), but prob applies IF you are the 318 vavlvetronic...

Hi, sorry for the late reply ... I posted the thread few dozen yrs ago and no one replied.

Mine is a 320i E46. basically no mods whatsoever to the car at all .. I've called PML and they saw it could be due to a low fuel pressure ?

Another problem I forgot to highlight was in manual mode, either gears 1-3, while accelerating smoothly, my RPM will either drop slightly or stay put for a while before continuing increasing ..

In all, PML said they will need to do a computer diagnostic which may take 2 days including fixing.. :(

Re: Problem with throttle lag ..

piggyboyz said:
E46 said:
guys, today I accelerated from a junction and realised there's a 0.5 - 1 secs lag before the car starts moving off ... Consulted a friend and I was told it could be a problem with fuel pump ...

Basically theres no irregural RPM changes on start up. Basically stepped on the accelerator and had to wait 0.5-1 sec before it starts to move off ...

You guys have any idea what could be wrong ? appreciate it thanks ...

There is one thousand and one problem that can be related to hesitation...

Fuel pump might be one of them but u have to tell us what model you r driving and which year is the car...

If u got a dirty idle valve, sticky throttle cable if it's one of the M52 car or a sticky throttle body flap, all will cause hesitation, and it might even be just down to changing spark plugs to resolve the problem....

I just sent for servicing yesterday, but I don't think they did a check on those items.. basically engine oil, safety check, etc. They claimed the car require a computer diagnostic. well ... will have to wait till 1st july

Okie dokie...

But if u r a hands on person, u might wanna try the basic things like buying a carburettor cleaner and start spraying into the the air hose, after the MAF. The solution will clean up the carbon built up on places like the Idle valve, Throttle body, etc and that might just get rid of the problem.

If u have taken out a idle valve or a throttle body, u will know that carbon can build up on them, and this might just be the cause of the hesitation problem...

Simple job... :)

And oh.. u should know your car best, ask yourself when the the last time u change the fuel filter, the charcoal fuel for the fuel system, these are the main culprit for the fuel to drop pressure and in turn, causing the fuel pump to overwork....

The fuel filter and the charcoal cannister should be replaced every 60-80k..

haha I'm still trying to learn how to do those things you mentioned. So far I dare not touch the interior coz I'm afraid I can't put it back where it came from :)

Maybe I'll ask some friends who knows the technical aspects of this car and learn from them before I touch whats under the bonnet...

By the way my car is 1.5 yrs old with 16k mileage... I always like to keep things clean externior, interior and under the bonnet so that I drive with pride. haha

Sent it back to PML and get it checked under warranty, 16k is very low. E46 M54 not common to have throttle hesitation...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bj88living

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back